R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Yeah Nimh users complaining about buying ONE lipo pack? like anyone would goto a big race like IIC without at LEAST 4 brand new nimhs packs per class.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #332
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i find that races like the iic, snowbirds, roar nats...etc. you only need 1 pack per class. because there is enough time in between heats to discharge and everything

i find that club races are where you need 4 packs per class. just because there isn't enough time.

i have had a smc lipo since november and it is great.
AKA
FarmCats
JB_catricala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #333
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong! Right now there is only one game in town for 1C batteries and that's SMC! Right?
Read the post above your (Post #328) Fantom and ThunderPower have been approved by ROAR also as well as SMC.
4TH Annual Fall Cla$$ic: Mike's Hobby Shop November 12-14, 2010 www.easttexasrc.com www.mikeshobbyshop.com 17.5 Rubber Sedan, 13.5 Rubber Sedan, 17.5 1/12TH, 13.5 1/12TH, WORLD GT, stock sedan and SLASH
EXPRESS MOTORSPORTS : SCHUMACHER MI3 : ASSOCIATED 12R5 : ASSOCIATED 10R5 : TAMIYA TT 01 : LOSI XXXT-CR : LOSI BK : TRAXXAS SLASH : LOSI SLIDER : CUSTOM WORKS OUTLAW
steve crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #334
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

another question:

for the Am. 17.5 rubber you said we will get the handout motor and 1 set of handout tires. Will we be able to bring/purchace more sets of tires?

thanks
www.wyomingrc.com
kblackwell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #335
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackwell71 View Post
another question:

for the Am. 17.5 rubber you said we will get the handout motor and 1 set of handout tires. Will we be able to bring/purchace more sets of tires?

thanks
purchase yes, at least that what it was last year.

I'll agree that the lipo 1/12 is probably about a year early, but i am in favor of killing off the round cells eventually, just not this year. Yes I am commenting on a class i don't even plan to run.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #336
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackwell71 View Post
another question:

thanks
You can buy more there at a reduced rate compared to your LHS. You may find you don't need that many anyhow. I still have two new sets from last year.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #337
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
see the problem with that is Danny (smc) is the only one with a hardcase 1C readily available. and he has yet to come out with his saddle pack 1C so I can't run my CRC Xforce as I'm not going to hang the 1C pack off one side and HOPE I get it balanced out right. plus that makes all the team drivers have to buy a pack for 1 race that may not be sponsored by SMC. yes the other battery companies need to get off their butt and get a pack out but them it's a small market for 12th scale compared to TC and I have heard the numbers that Danny has spent to get the batteries made and trust me he's probably not making money on them yet.

I am really curious to see how this is handled as it sort of determines if I will try to go. trust me it's been a great race the last 4 year. and I have had a lot of great battles on the track for 1st 2nd and last! but to make all the tplate cars questionable to handling with even the mental aspect of it, trust me I know mental, would do a disservice to all the cars with tplates. CEFX Xray my lone CRC Xforce, Hotbodies let alone all the drivers that may not have the latest associated R5 and have a L4 that they want to run to pick up a second or third class.

waiting with my britches on.

I was looking at the ROAR approval list for lipo's and noticed Fantom has a 5000mah single cell listed on it.

Just got word from Fantom they will be releasing a 5000mah 40 c single cell In a few weeks.

Last edited by Khador12; 05-13-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: More info
Khador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #338
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
I'll agree that the lipo 1/12 is probably about a year early, but i am in favor of killing off the round cells eventually, just not this year. Yes I am commenting on a class i don't even plan to run.
We have been running the SMC single cell lipo for almost 6 months at my local track with great results. Now that our whole 4-cell crew has switched, we are seeing some really good races. Plus the not having to babysit round cells is a great bonus. I think that this race couldn't have come at a better time.

The plus side to this is that everyone that has been thinking of lipo now gets to act instead of think... Some great new tech is bound to come out of this, including lipo specific chassis.

Did I mention that this is fun? Super tight racing - like it was meant to be.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #339
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khador12 View Post
I was looking at the ROAR approval list for lipo's and noticed Fantom has a 5000mah single cell listed on it.

Just got word from Fantom they will be releasing a 5000mah 40 c single cell In a few weeks.
Interesting how a pack that is not available can be ROAR approved

Reedy will be releasing info regarding their 3.7V LiPo pack in next couple of weeks. It will be out in time for IIC and upcoming carpet season and should be approved in the next ROAR approval cycle.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 05-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #340
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I will be out in time for IIC and upcoming carpet season and should be approved in the next ROAR approval cycle.
Wow, ROAR is now approving company representatives?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #341
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Interesting how a pack that is not available can be ROAR approved
Rick - we have documentation stating availabilty..... short of us going to every hobby shop in the nation, documentation is all there is... and some honor of course.

If there is a problem, please utilize my email box regarding this and not a public comment inferring misdeeds?
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #342
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

usually if i want something i would call ahead first, before i go to every store.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #343
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm not going to hang the 1C pack off one side and HOPE I get it balanced out right. plus that makes all the team drivers have to buy a pack for 1 race that may not be sponsored by SMC.
Nash I've seen this done and it balances out perfectly. Better yet the car handled awesome too. Because of this I'd be surprised if any battery manufacturers end up investing any money in a saddle pack. I hope this doesnt keep you from going as it would be a shame and unnecessary because trust me the brick pack will work in a t-plate car, like I said I've seen it done very successfully at my track. Again, it balanced perfectly and handled better than 4 cell.

edit: also by the time the race rolls around there should be a bunch of these packs to choose from, not just smc
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #344
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what about saddle packs though!!!!

and yes I see it donnie but mentally it doesn't look right to me.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #345
Tech Elite

Quote:
what about saddle packs though!!!!

and yes I see it donnie but mentally it doesn't look right to me.
There is your problem, you are thinking again!!
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote