RC Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 30th Anniversary Edition >

RC Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 30th Anniversary Edition

RC Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 30th Anniversary Edition

Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)
Default RC Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 30th Anniversary Edition

Hey guys.

I have the opportunity to buy one of these very rare kits, new in box, from a friend of mine. He has 3 and is willing to sell me one.

First, how much should I pay for one? I see a few on ebay go for $600.

Second, if I were to buy one, should I build it or keep it in the box?

Any input would be great!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=49400
Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

this may be just me, but never buy a kit with the idea of keeping it in box, you would be spending money, and never have real fun with it, rip that sucker open, and build it into the kickass car it is. If that helps any!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Buy it. At 600$ it ain't cheap, but the value is likely to go up if past experience is anything to go by.

About building it, it's up to you. If you buy it as an investment keeping it sealed is good insurance. I bought mine and built it straight away. Don't understand how some people can keep a kit sealed and unopened for years on end but hey, I profit from that!

One thing to consider if you build it though is the fact that it's not going to fit any class of racing except perhaps Tamiya challenge, so there you go. Ask your local club. I have managed to race mine a few times in the novice class.

If you keep it in it's original wrap on the other hand people like me are going to be very happy since such kits end up in my hands and I enjoy building them immensely!

I bought mine because it is the only chassis with the correct wheelbase for the brilliant Tamiya Porsche bodyshells (and competitive to boot). I think it is a pity they don't show up on the track in races so I am doing my bit to correct that, so I have quite a few body shells to swap around depending on my mood.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

I think it looks exactly like TA05MS.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
this may be just me, but never buy a kit with the idea of keeping it in box, you would be spending money, and never have real fun with it, rip that sucker open, and build it into the kickass car it is. If that helps any!
+1

Wisest words I've seen yet.

I had a HPI Pro 4 brand new in box, HPI R40 Hara Edition new in box, Xray XB8TQ new in box, FG Sportsline 04 Wide Stance (GT Racing) new in box, HPI Super Nitro RS4 new in box, and a couple others. They served no use sitting around. When I got back into the hobby and saw all these cars waiting for me, I was like a rich fat kid in a Burger King.

Morale of the story: it is more fun to play with the cars than to keep em around. And no investment is ever gauranteed to go up in value, especially nowadays where the hobby is not as popular as they were in the yesteryears and people are always going for the latest and greatest. If we had more of the baby boomers that were super crazy in this hobby now, then yes, I would say keep the kit sealed and let it go up in value. But now, I am not so sure anymore. If prices on materials continue to skyrocket, the hobby may (God forbid) dwindle down a bit more.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

build it, and try not to drive it on tarmac
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dameetz
I think it looks exactly like TA05MS.
Because that's what it is. Shorter wheelbase though. Change the chassis decks and you have the MS. There is though another minor difference in the centre pulley assembly but that's totally irrelevant.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

I don't see any of these SELLING at $600. I see them listed at that price, but that is something else entirely.

If you want to buy it as an investment, don't build it. Although personally speaking I think its merits as an investment are limited because EVERYONE that bought one is keeping it NIB. There will be no rarity in that condition, unlike the now-collectable 80s kits which were almost all built and run.

If you want to build it, don't pay any more than the original retail price. Treat it as a new kit on the shop shelf, not a "collectable". It has limited usability as a runner because it does not fit any racing class and if you damage the chassis or shell it will probably be difficult to replace them as they are limited production parts.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
Although personally speaking I think its merits as an investment are limited because EVERYONE that bought one is keeping it NIB. There will be no rarity in that condition, unlike the now-collectable 80s kits which were almost all built and run.

If you want to build it, don't pay any more than the original retail price. Treat it as a new kit on the shop shelf, not a "collectable". It has limited usability as a runner because it does not fit any racing class and if you damage the chassis or shell it will probably be difficult to replace them as they are limited production parts.
The kit being a limited edition I think hints at Tamiya's intention of creating a collectable, which may work or not. Their labelling and ostentatious including in the kit of an authentication of the limited release signed by Mr Tamiya (albeit in a computer printed facsimile) makes it clear that Tamiya hopes most of the cars will end up as shelf queens. This kind of stuff doesn't work on me, and I am sure it doesn't on others either.

The '80s kits on the other hand were not intended as collectables, which is why people built and bashed them. The relative rarity of the kits forgotten on shelves or in their box in the attic coupled with their interesting designs is what makes them collectable now. So in effect what makes them collectable today is the fact they were not considered collectable in their day when the consumers just thinned their numbers almost to extinction! That's why whoever has one now can ask whatever price they like and with the market being next to inexistent, all you need is one buyer prepared to dish out what you ask and that's the market price!

It is too early I think to ask if this kit is going to prove a solid investment but one thing is for sure. Before kits leave the hands of the original retailers there can be no real talk about it, and at the moment some of the kits you see for sale around are being sold by the original retailer-buyer. These people are after a profit and prices won't drop until they make what they think is a good profit on the kit.

And about bodyshells, as I said above, there's a lot of Porsche bodies past and current in the Tamiya range you can still pick up easily and they go on the chassis a treat.

As for the chassis, you're just wrong. Everything TA05MS (or TRF 416 or TB05-whatever, basically most of the current TRF stuff) goes straight on and even the centre pulley I mentioned before as being a bit different can be converted to TA05MS spec with just a household grade lathe.

Chassis plates are the only unique items so take care of those. I have in fact seen them as spares on ebay, and I think a few smart people picked them up and built their own "limited edition" chassis with the TA05MS bits bought as spares, though am not sure how cost effective that would be. I considered doing it myself but having no 05MS bits I just bought the kit. If you're already running an 05MS and have spare bits lying around, here's your chance!

Last edited by niznai; 03-01-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
The kit being a limited edition I think hints at Tamiya's intention of creating a collectable, which may work or not. Their labelling and ostentatious including in the kit of an authentication of the limited release signed by Mr Tamiya's (albeit in a computer printed facsimile) makes it clear that Tamiya hopes most of the cars will end up as shelf queens. This kind of stuff doesn't work on me, and I am sure it doesn't on others either. The '80s kits were not intended as collectables, which is why people built and bashed them. Whoever has one forgotten on a shelf or a NIB sitting in the attic can ask whatever price they like and with the market being inexistent, all you need is one buyer prepared to dish out what you ask and that's the market price! It is too early I think to ask if this is going to prove a solid investment but one thing is for sure. Before kits leave the hands of the original retailers there can be no real talk about it, and at the moment some of the kits you see for sale around are being sold by the original retailer-buyer. These people are after a profit and prices won't drop until they make what they think is a good profit on the kit.

And about bodyshells, as I said above, there's a lot of Porsche bodies past and current in the Tamiya range you can still pick up easily and they go on the chassis a treat.

As for the chassis, you're just wrong. Everything TA05MS (or TRF 416 or TB05-whatever, basically most of the current TRF stuff) goes straight on and even the centre pulley I mentioned before as being a bit different can be converted to TA05MS spec with just a household grade lathe.

Chassis plates are the only unique items so take care of those. I have in fact seen them as spares on ebay, and I think a few smart people picked them up and built their own "limited edition" chassis with the TA05MS bits bought as spares, though am not sure how cost effective that would be. I considered doing it myself but having no 05MS bits I just bought the kit. If you're already running an 05MS and have spare bits lying around, here's your chance!
But why pay $600 for a car that you will then spend another few hundred dollars converting to a TA05MS so you can use it?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
But why pay $600 for a car that you will then spend another few hundred dollars converting to a TA05MS so you can use it?
I was actually making the point that if one already has the TA05MS they can buy the chassis plates for the RSR and have both cars if they wanted to. Or conversely, buy the RSR and use that without fear of ever getting stuck because you can't find spares. Then you still have the chance to buy the MS plates and other tidbits and go racing in the "normal" classes.

Last edited by niznai; 03-05-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Agreed, Buy at ta05ms, enjoy racing it (its a fantastic racer), and just buy the following

Porsche 934 upper deck,
porsche 934 lower deck,
Ta05ms rear belt (once you fit the decks then the front is shorter so you use 2 of the rear belts)
Porche bodyset

The cost of these will be lots less than $600, you have a car that you can race, and once your finished with racing it and want to get a new race car then you can easily convert the car to put on the shelf. Best of both worlds

RC cars kept in a box is just plain wrong IMHO
Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I won't open it if I buy one. It is too special and too expensive to get scratches on.

I am not interested in that model so I won't buy one.

But I bought two of the 15th anniv f103 so I can build one and and leave one sealed. I have another f103rs for bashing around. So I have three f103's. One to drive. One to look at. One sealed in box.

If you pay $600 for it and leave it sealed. You won't lose money when you put it up for sale in 10 or 20 years. You will get your money back and some probably. But there is no guarantee it will double in value. The best senario would be if Tamiya goes out of business soon and stop making RC cars, and in 20 or 30 years hardcore Tamiya fans will pay top dollars for your NIB kit.

My sealed f103r.... I may sell it in 30 years or I may give it to my son when he is old enough to build an RC car which could happen in 5 years or so.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have one

use it inside on our carpet track

just keep it clean and bont bend it LOL

i'm really carefull with mine , sport tuned motor , teu101 speedo

BUT i dont use the tyres or wheels incase i want to sell it
Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by edhchoe

If you pay $600 for it and leave it sealed. You won't lose money when you put it up for sale in 10 or 20 years. You will get your money back and some probably. But there is no guarantee it will double in value. The best senario would be if Tamiya goes out of business soon and stop making RC cars, and in 20 or 30 years hardcore Tamiya fans will pay top dollars for your NIB kit.
If you just look at figures, perhaps not. But if you really look at the figures, most certainly yes. Inflation will almost certainly wipe out any profit you would count on over 20 years. Look at the old bruiser/hilux kits which sell now NIB for just over 2k$ or thereabouts. This is about I don't know three, four times their original price perhaps? Well, inflation over the same time span (almost three decades now) is about the same if not higher, so there you go. So I think over say 20 years it will lose money even if it doubles in value. Perhaps not if it quadruples or more.

I agree though with the hypothesis if mr Tamiya goes out of bussiness. Now that would make some people, errr, oh well, less poor!

There is one other factor to consider here too. I have bought some NIB oldies attracted by their fame and my own curiosity. Once I got them, I had a good look inside and I sold them straight on. This is the inevitable effect of passing time. The technology they used was rather crude and the cars were at best things I could easily bodge today! We can not tell what these kits will look like in twenty years from now to an observer not born yet. Maybe they'll love the kits, maybe they'll just look at it and think whatta...! Who knows what they'll have in 30 years time? I foresee in the future it will be easy to just cut on a plotter the carbon fibre chassis and use off the shelf parts to make your own car. This is how some teams already do it today when developing a new car, and cost is not that far off buying one of these kits!

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
BUT i dont use the tyres or wheels incase i want to sell it
And they are absolute crap too. The tires have no grip at all whatsoever and the wheels themselves break like glass. I have destroyed mine already. If you just tap the wheels (sideways!) to anything, they're gone. The hub breaks, they're gone. I am of course talking about racing indoors on carpet. The car is obviously meant to sit on a shelf not to go anywhere. But I will testify, it handles very well, so there's a lot of racing potential in it. Looking forward to someone running a brushless in it.

Last edited by niznai; 03-07-2009 at 07:13 PM.