Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 typical tire diameter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 1/12 typical tire diameter

I am starting to get serious in 12th scale. I ordered a bunch of tires and want to know what is the typical size you guys are trueing them too? i want longevity out of them but not a big deal. Front tire and Rear tire. I see the pros with no foam on there tires when they true them and others with normal amount. I just measured my twister tires and the front are 44.6mm and rear are 46.8mm.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I run a .1 split front to rear...1.62 front and 1.72 rear.

I run a little taller for club races , but the split stays constant..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jhock
I am starting to get serious in 12th scale. I ordered a bunch of tires and want to know what is the typical size you guys are trueing them too? i want longevity out of them but not a big deal. Front tire and Rear tire. I see the pros with no foam on there tires when they true them and others with normal amount. I just measured my twister tires and the front are 44.6mm and rear are 46.8mm.
Well, those size tires are not too bad to run at club racing and such. We used to race with those sizes a while ago. If you are serious about racing then I would look to start at 1.62" (41.2mm) and 1.72" (43.7mm) like scootr117 mentioned.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Also depends on the track.... the track I race at its better to start with full rears (crc pro-cuts) and you can race em untill they hit the 43mm mark.
From then on the rear will be unpredictable at certain parts of the track.

On another track I know, anything above 43mm will make you flip...

What i mean with this is, dont be dumb and true all the tires you receive to 43mm cause it can seriously backfire!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes it is all dependant on your track. our little club track is very bumpy. We have to have a ride height of 4mm+ to just clear some of the bumps. so we tend to leave the tires as tall as possible. when mine get down to 44 mm traction is horrible and so inconsistant and also some tire compounds work well at some tracks and not at others.

Our carpet is old and if you are running magenta rears and need just a bit more byte, don;t even think of going to pinks. you have to go all the way to white. at our track pink is instant death. 2 of the corners will be loose and the rest will be too tight.

Just FYI check to see what everyone else is running and try that. Or do what I did and bug the fast drivers to "try" their old tires when they switch to new ones.

lol
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For club racing I start my rears at 1.75" (44.5mm) and the fronts at 1.65 (42mm). Any bigger than that and they can be a bit grabby and tend to chunk easily. Nothing ruins my day like leaving them on the large side for longer life then chunking on the first run.

I run them as long as I can. They just get better and better here at our track. They usually peel before I run out of ride height adjustment.

If I'm doing my part and staying off the wood I can get two to three race days out of a set of tires.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

........He said WOOD!!.............
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I usually start mine somewhere between 1.75 and 1.72 for rears and 1.68 and 1.62 for fronts depending on the track.