R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #1246
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstercol View Post
Hi all,

Anyone played with the lipo chassis?

My conections are quite wide, I just did some small alterations to make it work for the stock chassis.
Wow looks bad. I use standard chassis with IB 5000 40C and still have few mm clearance. Will post pictures later.
-rv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #1247
Tech Adept

I'm using this system for to fit the Lipos on the BD5, i'm using the new upperdeck and the T.O.P battery brace set.
Feel free to comment my idea. Thank you.
Ciao
Attached Thumbnails
New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-nissan-001%7E2.jpg   New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-nissan-002%7E2.jpg   New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-nissan-003%7E2.jpg  
Helios EX10
altreyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #1248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstercol View Post
Hi all,

Anyone played with the lipo chassis?

My conections are quite wide, I just did some small alterations to make it work for the stock chassis.

Yokomo does not make a lipo chassis, but they make a chassis for stick packs. All you need is the skinny top deck and you will have no problems. Just put the battery terminals the other way like in pics others have posted. I posted pics several weeks back.

As for chubs, I've mysteriously cracked several. But hinge pins seem to be strong. So far no problems with them. Just the graphite chubs. Plastic chubs are too flexible for carpet/high bite. That's why I'm going with aluminum. It's club racing, so no worries. If I do a big race, then I'll switch to graphite. This may sound strange, but I'd rather break an arm than a chub. But once again, this is for club racing.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #1249
Tech Apprentice

Ah yes, found your pic on the top deck in place, seems like a plan. I'll add one onto my next order.

Although I have no issues with what I have now, it does the job required.
monstercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #1250
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

as for lipo:

if you use lipos like IB, the socket is slightly lower then the maximum height of the lipo
if you now use flat 4mm connectors and solder your wire ontop you can plug it into the battery before pushing it into the car and then the connector+wire will be 1 - 2 mm UNDER the topdeck

this way you don'T have to modify connectors / topdecks and can use the regular kit parts for lipo racing

as for carpet racing:

I had a german indoor national qualification race this weekend.
Car was really good.

attached you will find the setup and a picture of the track
Attached Thumbnails
New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-bd5_sm_ingolstadt_11_09.jpg   New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-pana-ing-800.jpg  
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #1251
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok I'm still thinking about this car. Been a long time Yokomo fan and would love to race again. I currently wheel a Xray 009 and plan on getting a T3. Could always use a second car for different class 13.5, 17.5,etc.The problem is i'm not into hacking up the chassis and using parts from other cars to get this thing to work. I here in the mid atlantic and will be running indoor asphalt in Frederick,md and carpet at the track in Gaithersburg,Md. So what's the deal is the car worth it?
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1252
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
Ok I'm still thinking about this car. Been a long time Yokomo fan and would love to race again. I currently wheel a Xray 009 and plan on getting a T3. Could always use a second car for different class 13.5, 17.5,etc.The problem is i'm not into hacking up the chassis and using parts from other cars to get this thing to work. I here in the mid atlantic and will be running indoor asphalt in Frederick,md and carpet at the track in Gaithersburg,Md. So what's the deal is the car worth it?
there is no need to do what i made on my car for to fit the Lipos, you just need, may be, only to change the upperdeck.
What i made is only for to have a system for to balance better the car moving a little bit outside the battery, and at the same time i don't have any weight problem because i have to add some grams for to arrive at the minimum weight that normally we use (1400g)
About the 009 or the new T3 i think they are good cars...but Yokomo is always Yokomo
Helios EX10
altreyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #1253
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hey,

Im from Australia and recently got a BD-5. Had my first race meet last weekend and i must say, i love the feel of the car! Set fastest lap time of the day and was only .4sec of the Top Modified cars with a 10.5

Just wandering, i see you guys are running alot of option parts, any chance i could please have some sources on where abouts i could get my hands on some??

Regards
Ben
Sterlzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #1254
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
I know some will hate me for this, but why get a Yokomo if you already have a 009 and getting a T3? If you really say you like Yokomo, get it unless if you are looking for an excuse not to. I have raced at the tracks you have stated and it would be no problem running there as long as you....

1. Upgrade the suspension to graphite suspension because of the high bite. The kit suspension is okay for outdoor asphalt, but way to flexible for tracks like the Coliseum.
2. Frederick you can get away with a oneway... same as Gaithersburg if you are running rubber tire. If you do not like oneways, then you need to buy the locked center pulley and a front spool with plenty of spare cups and rings.
3. Probably switch to the narrow top deck for better fitment of lipos and it's stiffer for the higher traction.

That's all you really need. The new black XRay springs fit the Yokomo shocks no problem. Or you can just buy a set of Yokomo springs or HPI springs (tight fit on upper collar). I've owned a 009 with motor fwd option and the ECS set. It's a very very nice car. I had my setup very awesome. Took some time to learn the Yokomo. But it's capable of the same things. The Yokomo BD5 diff is the smoothest diff I have ever built. But they are not bladed. So you need to lube them every two runs with MuchMore Joint Grease. OR, buy the new bladed diff halves Yokomo just released. No need for diff covers, it's already designed to be sealed. Tons of room for electronics. The rear toe is TRUE. I've had tons of cars, on this one, the rear toe is dead on for EACH side.

Side note: I would get longer turnbuckles for the steering rods. The only thing I have broken on this car are graphite chubs and spool cups. Oh, and stripped out front spindles because of broken chubs. Overall, it's a good car. Don't get one because you are expecting a huge improvement over the XRay, because you won't find a huge improvement. Get one because you like Yokomo. That's why I dumped my 009 for the Yok. Back to my roots.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #1255
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlzy View Post
Hey,

Im from Australia and recently got a BD-5. Had my first race meet last weekend and i must say, i love the feel of the car! Set fastest lap time of the day and was only .4sec of the Top Modified cars with a 10.5

Just wandering, i see you guys are running alot of option parts, any chance i could please have some sources on where abouts i could get my hands on some??

Regards
Ben
If you are looking for Yokomo parts contact Elwyn on here. He does awesome service and fast shipping. Just shoot him a PM.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #1256
Tech Elite

Here are some pics of my car with ORCA bullet plugs. Something like Martin was talking about. No need to hack this car.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #1257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

jimmy, u using 3.5mm bulkhead cap ??? how it's go?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #1258
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Here are some pics of my car with ORCA bullet plugs. Something like Martin was talking about. No need to hack this car.
Hey JimmyMac, where did you get the blue cable? Look nice...
-rv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #1259
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

this is how I did it aswell using the same plugs (from GM :-) )

this way you don'T even need the lipo topdeck as you get away with the wires beeing below the topdeck
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #1260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
jimmy, u using 3.5mm bulkhead cap ??? how it's go?
I use 3.5 cap for very technical tracks. Normal caps for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -rv- View Post
Hey JimmyMac, where did you get the blue cable? Look nice...
MuchMore 12 AWG Silver Wire Blue 90cm. I think I got it from either TowerHobbies or RC Market. I don't remember which.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03