R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #856
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

for those that switched from the old BD to the new BD5, did
you honestly feel a noticable improvement over the old car?
thanks for any input
Old 08-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #857
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

I saw an improvement of about .2secs a lap with the BD-5 after about 3 weeks of setup. to me that was a major improvement.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #858
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpart View Post
I saw an improvement of about .2secs a lap with the BD-5 after about 3 weeks of setup. to me that was a major improvement.
yeah but you're so old, a new pair of bifocals would get you that extra .2sec a lap HI TOM!!!
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #859
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

BD still fast car.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #860
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

for me, bd5 quite easy to drive ....
Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
yeah but you're so old, a new pair of bifocals would get you that extra .2sec a lap HI TOM!!!
I like your avatar ...amazing on how much it looks like you. BTW you aren't much younger!

funny thing is that I don't need glasses now since Im over 50!
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #862
Tech Elite

More info about the BD5 spool can be see here.

RCnews
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #863
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How would guy's rank this car with the Xray009? I've got the 009 now, but I've been a long time Yokomo fan and would like to drive one again. Not as a replacement but a 13.5 or 17.5 car.
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #864
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
How would guy's rank this car with the Xray009? I've got the 009 now, but I've been a long time Yokomo fan and would like to drive one again. Not as a replacement but a 13.5 or 17.5 car.
i tried my fren T2009 but i feel more comfortable with my bd5. I think u should try it as it's a great car.....

other than that, i think other racers can shed some light here...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #865
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This year, I've raced a 416, 009, and now the BD5. I think out of the box, the 009 is better prepared for racing in the USA compared to the BD5. Not sure where you are from, but I contribute this mostly due to the fact that the 009 already comes supplied with a spool setup. I was pretty fast with the 009, and now I'm trying to get my BD5 up to speed. I think I have it figured out.

You'll need to track down a BD locked center pulley and BD5 spools should be easy to come by. The BD5 diff is the best/smoothest hands down between the 3 cars. BUT, it wears out super easy because they don't have blades. At least for me and several others. Pro drivers don't seem to have this problem. The 009 is a lot more tunable than the BD5. But the BD5 seems to have a very good balance. And it drives pretty smooth.

Have you had a BD before? If so, it's very similar to that. The steering is a little better than the original, and the suspension is too. The arm length is the same as the 416 short arms, but offset back like the XRay. I think the shocks are better than the XRay ones.

If you can afford to run it, go for it. You'll need to get all your parts overseas. Hit up Elwyn on here if you need anything special. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I'm sure one of us will know something.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #866
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
This year, I've raced a 416, 009, and now the BD5. I think out of the box, the 009 is better prepared for racing in the USA compared to the BD5. Not sure where you are from, but I contribute this mostly due to the fact that the 009 already comes supplied with a spool setup. I was pretty fast with the 009, and now I'm trying to get my BD5 up to speed. I think I have it figured out.

You'll need to track down a BD locked center pulley and BD5 spools should be easy to come by. The BD5 diff is the best/smoothest hands down between the 3 cars. BUT, it wears out super easy because they don't have blades. At least for me and several others. Pro drivers don't seem to have this problem. The 009 is a lot more tunable than the BD5. But the BD5 seems to have a very good balance. And it drives pretty smooth.

Have you had a BD before? If so, it's very similar to that. The steering is a little better than the original, and the suspension is too. The arm length is the same as the 416 short arms, but offset back like the XRay. I think the shocks are better than the XRay ones.

If you can afford to run it, go for it. You'll need to get all your parts overseas. Hit up Elwyn on here if you need anything special. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I'm sure one of us will know something.
I run my 009 at the"C" in Maryland. I haven't been there in a couple months, but will return soon. Just curious to see if the Yoke can hold it's own. Too bad the BD5 isn't available in the US.
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #867
Tech Elite

Quote:
I run my 009 at the"C" in Maryland. I haven't been there in a couple months, but will return soon. Just curious to see if the Yoke can hold it's own. Too bad the BD5 isn't available in the US.
u can contact elwyn to send it over...usd499 ship worldwide..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #868
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi M3dreamin2008,

HobbyHaven is Yokomo sole distributor for Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. We are selling the Yokomo BD5 @ US$499.00 free worldwide shipping.

We have full BD5 spare & option parts support and also all Yokomo products.

Let me know if you need any helps.

Cheers
Elwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
u can contact elwyn to send it over...usd499 ship worldwide..
Thanks kschu. See you this weekend for Tawau race.
http://www.hobyhaven.com.my - http://www.hobby-haven.blogspot.com - http://www.teamyokomo.blogspot.com
Elwyn Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I just ran there this past weekend. Last time I was there was with my 416. It was pretty good. But with that super high traction, the BD5 will need the new graphite suspension set. The kit arms just flex too much for my liking. I guess the oneway will serve you good there then. So no need to get the spool. I'll be back at the Coliseum next month for the Nationals Warm Up Race. So stop by there if you want to check out mine. If you do get one, let me know. I can post up a starting setup for you. Oh, and shoe goo the servo down. That high traction ripped the servo off the chassis. Servo tape won't cut it!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #870
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Mounting the sways on the arms like that put more leverage on the arms since they are farther out on the arm compared to stock location. Just another tuning option. You seen how big the track was they were running on?!!!

Well ran my BD5 over the weekend. I didn't do too good. BMain. The track had more traction than a carpet track! I broke 4 spool drive cups, one caster block, and one spindle. Some how, I even ended up pulling the shock end off the shock shaft without breaking any thing?? And I even pulled the servo up off the chassis. Next time I will shoe goo that bitch down! Ending up going back to oneway. But on the layout, my car was hard for me to push it. Very hard to drive. It was good on some sections, but very inconsistent on others. Especially the 180 sweeper at the end of the straight. I could never hit it the same each lap.

What will help though is the new graphite suspension set which I will order from Elwyn tonight. The stock suspension just flexed too much. Not good on this very high traction track. Can't wait to get those in. I'll be back at that track next month. I at least have a starting setup now.

A good note though, the chassis did not tweak at all with such high traction. I even managed to get the car airborne about 5-6 feet up cartwheeling in the air. No tweak!

Also, the MaxConcept steel diff showed no signs of wear. It held it's setting all weekend long. And still remains ultra smooth. Only down side is stock/17.5 running. I feel it's just too heavy to run for stock. Not only is it 22.4g heavier than a stock diff, but it adds that weight to the rear end. Next time I'll run the aluminum diff. I'll save the steel diff for club racing.

Overall the car did okay, but not as good as I wanted. I think the hard arm set will improve that. Elwyn, I'll be ordering from ya in a few hours!

Oh and congrats to Ronald for 3rd at the Euros!

You worry me about the quality of this car, you broke more than I've broke all year!
monstercol is offline   Reply With Quote