R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #451
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Martin, on that set up sheet you have a note that says "pistons glued", what does that mean?
coloradoyokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok I have an honest question for you guys. The last Yok I bought was the SD-SSG which I still have and serves as my VTA car. Its fine since Im only running against TC3's, TC4's and some old X-rays. It holds it's own against the other cars from its hayday.

OK I said that to show that I am a Yokomo fan and I think they make a fine product. Currently I am running a Serpent S400, which I am very happy with as far as performance goes, but if I break something. Well parts support has been lacking. I dont want to dog on Serpent, but thats my issue.

So I was just wondering how the parts flow was for the BD-5. Considering the price of the car Im not sure if its worth the move, but I would like to have something I can keep together, or get back together if it should happen to take a lick. I would also like to have something similar to the handling of the Serpent. Which may not be perfect for everything, but its pretty easy to get it to handle fair on any surface.

So what do the BD-5 owners think?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #453
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Snoop...that's the exact same boat I'm in. I really like my S400 but with it being discontinued after just a few months...to hell with Serpent!
I like the new Yokomo, I've always liked Yokomos, but with no support in the US...no thanks.
I've decided to wait for the new T.O.P. Photon car to come out. I've seen the T.O.P. USA guys in action and they're a great group of guys. When they say parts for the Photon aren't an issue, I believe it. Also, they race in my area and are cool to bounce question off of at the track.
Desicions desicions!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Ok I have an honest question for you guys. The last Yok I bought was the SD-SSG which I still have and serves as my VTA car. Its fine since Im only running against TC3's, TC4's and some old X-rays. It holds it's own against the other cars from its hayday.

OK I said that to show that I am a Yokomo fan and I think they make a fine product. Currently I am running a Serpent S400, which I am very happy with as far as performance goes, but if I break something. Well parts support has been lacking. I dont want to dog on Serpent, but thats my issue.

So I was just wondering how the parts flow was for the BD-5. Considering the price of the car Im not sure if its worth the move, but I would like to have something I can keep together, or get back together if it should happen to take a lick. I would also like to have something similar to the handling of the Serpent. Which may not be perfect for everything, but its pretty easy to get it to handle fair on any surface.

CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #454
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
Snoop...that's the exact same boat I'm in. I really like my S400 but with it being discontinued after just a few months...to hell with Serpent!
I like the new Yokomo, I've always liked Yokomos, but with no support in the US...no thanks.
I've decided to wait for the new T.O.P. Photon car to come out. I've seen the T.O.P. USA guys in action and they're a great group of guys. When they say parts for the Photon aren't an issue, I believe it. Also, they race in my area and are cool to bounce question off of at the track.
Desicions desicions!!!
currently, we have been seeing better parts restock for serpent s400 in asia... it's gradually improving... even the lipo upper deck should be on their way... i was looking at bd5 for jump ship but will wait another month to see if serpent will stock up s400 again... keep my finger cross...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #455
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoyokomo View Post
Martin, on that set up sheet you have a note that says "pistons glued", what does that mean?
the piston is CAed to the shockshaft to make sure there is no relative movement between piston and shockshaft in any direction

to do the same, just place a small drop of CA on the bottom side of the piston, where the E-clips is
you will see the ca getting sucked into the gap between piston and shockshaft by capillary force
if so, you've done it correctly and you can still remove the piston with a little force if a piston exchange is necessary/wanted

this all helps to smoothen out the car's handling and gives a more reactive feeling
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #456
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Broady Racing
Default will the diff fit

Hi all , A friend advised me that he thought the bd5 diff fits a tc5 . can any body confirm this ? Thanks in advance
Broady Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #457
Tech Initiate

what are u guys seting your shock lenght at and are the diff and thrust balls stil 3/32 and 1/16
Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #458
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey all,

just got one of these bad boys with a 17t motor, but running of 4600mah nimh.
i'll be racing it on carpet at the end of this month, so whats a good carpet setup for these cars(with foams on them-40r i think)
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #459
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

I would have to defer to Martin. I haven't run carpet with the new BD-5 yet.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #460
Tech Master

I don't do foam ... sorry

anybody else?
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #461
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have rubber tyres too, that i might run.
any help with running rubber tyres on carpet?

also, id like to point out that this car was made for onboard camera's
it has soo many good mounting spots. i have some wicked on board footage from the front bumper, rear bumper and rear uprights(all i did was cable tie me phone in place, and it stayed on-sometimes...)
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #462
Tech Master

I posted a carpet setup few pages back.
You might want to try thatone. Should be a good starting point.
On more flowing tracks hpi pink/blue might be the better choice of springs
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #463
Tech Elite

Well 2 weeks have passed since I replied to Yokomo detailing the problems with the car I purchased and have had no reply. Even to the point of buying in a new top deck to prove and photo the faulty parts.
Even the plastic front bumper split into fragments with a minor bingle, it appears to be made of pretty poor quality materials you would expect from a $10 toy

So much for quality control and back up from such a reputal company.
I am now considering selling all my Yokomo gear and going back XRay who will back their products.
Might even keep posting the photos until just to remind people of what they might be buying at great exspense.

From one PI$$ED OFF BD5 owner
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #464
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

have you noticed any wear on the outdrives at all?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #465
Tech Master

I used my spool/diff outdrives now for 11 days of racing and still not worn in
Xenon Racing
Tonisport