R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #2731
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

can someone measure the front of the BD5 chassis plate? Im talking about the nose. I want to see if the BD5 plastic bumper will fit the old BD/SD cars.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #2732
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyZ View Post
can someone measure the front of the BD5 chassis plate? Im talking about the nose. I want to see if the BD5 plastic bumper will fit the old BD/SD cars.
I don't have the measurements here, but the bd5 front is much narrower than the bd, the will not directly interchange.
Shopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #2733
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex410usa View Post
Thank you, do you know where can i get the toe blocks?
www.driftspeed.com
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #2734
Tech Rookie

Still need help eliminating chatter... HELP!
dbworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #2735
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworms View Post
Still need help eliminating chatter... HELP!
You can't eliminate it without double joint driveshafts.

If you are only drifting then the Spec-R driveshafts might do you alright. I hear they aren't the best for racing, but just drifting shouldn't stress them out too much.

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #2736
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

get Litemodz !
Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #2737
Tech Rookie

consider me a complete noob in this subject matter. I googled double joint drive shafts, but I don't see any parts that appears to fit the bd5.

I am running standard drive shafts that come with the bd5. I only had it for a few weeks and I assumed the chattering noise was from the low ground clearance and the hellaflush style wheel fitment scraping the body.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #2738
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
consider me a complete noob in this subject matter. I googled double joint drive shafts, but I don't see any parts that appears to fit the bd5.

I am running standard drive shafts that come with the bd5. I only had it for a few weeks and I assumed the chattering noise was from the low ground clearance and the hellaflush style wheel fitment scraping the body.
The chatter is because the standard driveshafts are what is called a universal joint. What this joint can't do is provide a constant rotational speed once the joint is at an angle. That means that the main bone is spinning pretty consistently while the drive axle is constantly accelerating and decelerating twice(?) every 360 degrees. As you can imagine this causes a great amount of G on the wheel when spinning really fast. This coupled with wheel imbalance and general slop causes a pretty big vibration or 'chatter'.

A true CVD (litemodz cvs) or a double cardan joint shaft (spec-r ecs) can rotate the axle and bone at the same speed consistently throughout the full 360 degree rotation at large joint angles. Therefore there is no acceleration and deceleration of the axle/wheel combo; this is why they remove the chatter vibrations.

Hope that helps. Ask away if there is anything else you need

Or if someone is real clever and I've said it wrong, feel free to me and put me right

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #2739
Tech Rookie

Thanks housey, I found the part you were refering to. The video from the spec r site and your explanation helped me understand the problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #2740
Tech Addict

Quote:

Did you get new wheels?
I have been running the stock drives with a spool up front for almost a year and never had chatter at full steering. I am going to guess something else is going on. It is for sure chattering when you drive it on the ground right? It will probably chatter like crazy just sitting on a stand. I have seen the inside of some wheels hit the arm when turned, could that be happening? Have you checked your bearings to make sure you dotn have a bad bearing? Have you checked to make sure you dont have a bent axle?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #2741
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopkeeper View Post
Did you get new wheels?
I have been running the stock drives with a spool up front for almost a year and never had chatter at full steering. I am going to guess something else is going on. It is for sure chattering when you drive it on the ground right? It will probably chatter like crazy just sitting on a stand. I have seen the inside of some wheels hit the arm when turned, could that be happening? Have you checked your bearings to make sure you dotn have a bad bearing? Have you checked to make sure you dont have a bent axle?
i think chattering only can be notice when u full throttle turning the wheel at full lock when the car is on car stand...

on ground , it's might not so noticeable BUT it's does reduce your car speed when u on/off throttle turning the wheel to full lock...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #2742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by housey View Post
The chatter is because the standard driveshafts are what is called a universal joint. What this joint can't do is provide a constant rotational speed once the joint is at an angle. That means that the main bone is spinning pretty consistently while the drive axle is constantly accelerating and decelerating twice(?) every 360 degrees. As you can imagine this causes a great amount of G on the wheel when spinning really fast. This coupled with wheel imbalance and general slop causes a pretty big vibration or 'chatter'.

A true CVD (litemodz cvs) or a double cardan joint shaft (spec-r ecs) can rotate the axle and bone at the same speed consistently throughout the full 360 degree rotation at large joint angles. Therefore there is no acceleration and deceleration of the axle/wheel combo; this is why they remove the chatter vibrations.

Hope that helps. Ask away if there is anything else you need

Or if someone is real clever and I've said it wrong, feel free to me and put me right
[Smartass]technically if the axle is rotating isn't it still in acceleration?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #2743
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico' View Post
thanks Sleepstream, I will try it because I almost always fing my BD5W has too much overall grip, especially rear grip.

Do you have the same feeling guys?
Yup had the same feeling. Funnily did something out of the ordinary last night.. Leaned the rear shocks to the 2nd lowest holes & swap the springs front to back (vice versa). Felt better..
Sleepstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #2744
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
[Smartass]technically if the axle is rotating isn't it still in acceleration?
Keefy cracking the Engineering jokes now.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #2745
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopkeeper View Post
Did you get new wheels?
Was more of a bump than a crash, so the chassis is alright. As I see it running wheel-less on the stand, the axles and bearings look fine. The problem I'm experiencing is depicted exactly as it is on spec r's website. (look for C.V. Universal Swing Shaft (For YOKOMO BD5)) RCTech isn't letting me post the link

And yes as Kschu mentioned, it only happens on full throttle at full lock which is pretty often when drifting.

Noob question again, but does spools equal solid axles? I realized I do not have front one way pulleys up front. Only a solid axle set.

Last edited by dbworms; 03-09-2011 at 02:17 AM.