Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Yokomo TC, the BD-5 >

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
For those interested I tested the photon gear diff with a 4.5t motor yesterday. The car felt pretty good, and had more steering. I have been using the Spec R gear diff in my Xray for the past few months, and i dont think the photon gear diff is quite as good. I overheated the std 20k oil, making the oil gluggy and it went black. I switched to 3k oil and it was better, but this was a bit to light, 5k will be a good starting point. This is on med traction asphalt.

The gear diff is ok, but i would definatly wait for a Spec R of Yokomo gear diff They will be bulletproof and way more consistant.

If anyone else has any questions, pm me

Antoni
Tested my Top Gear Diff last weekend on our Carpet Track, relatively tight with good Grip. Was surprised how good the Gear Diff worked. Used the Standard Oil it was filled with and a 5,5 T Motor. After a few Runs the Diff now runs very smooth. Will check for wear after a few more runs.

Well, so far a good solution until the Yokomo Gear Diff is available. At least Overseas cause here in Germany it will take for ever until available.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

when traction is really low, we use the clear bladder as it is slightly softer, BUT you have to use a new set every time you rebuild the shocks, ie every day/weekend atleast!

this is why we actually never use the clear ones.

The black one does not expand in contact with oil (never clean with break cleaner/ motor spray!) and there fore gives very consisitant shock rebuilds

as for orings, we use the regular blue ones
Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

just wanted to thank you guys for the setup help. had the state titles race here last weekend and qualified 2nd and finished 2nd. managed to win one of the amains. car was super fast, with lots of grip. just would have liked to have a little bit more steering, but this was largely due to the fact that i was too lazy (scared haha) to change anything that was working great. in case anybody is interested in the setup, i will post it later today.

any news on the gear diff yet? or on the flex chassis plate??

cheers#
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BD5W vienna.pdf (320.0 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by vitomon; 09-01-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vitomon
j
edit: setup sheet is too big. anyhow. will try to remember everything.
give a look at this post http://www.rctech.net/forum/7368232-post1698.html this sheet is pretty low and should work
Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just saw on the spec-r site that they will have a gear diff for the BD-5. I was wondering how it will compare to the Yokomo one due out soon. I am afraid it will be indoor season before I can get a Yokomo one.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fpart
I just saw on the spec-r site that they will have a gear diff for the BD-5. I was wondering how it will compare to the Yokomo one due out soon. I am afraid it will be indoor season before I can get a Yokomo one.
some people using the spec-r gear diff on other cars told me that the quality is not that great. For me is better wait for the Yokomo one and we will be sure to have a real good gear diff.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you guess what it is yet?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by housey

Can you guess what it is yet?
SD chassis?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

It is my attempt at creating my own BD5W except for my original BD. I've only just got back into RC you see, after about 4 years away due to University. Hopefully should have the chassis in a few days so I can show you guys pictures of it in the flesh! I'm rather excited!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Ha i knew it was a BD! :-) remember having seen something like that many times before having bd5
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

I'm glad someone recognised it Martin, was beginning to think I was a dinosaur!
My thinking behind it all was that I have my BD dailed in, and I can't really see a massive step forward in the suspension layout etc with a BD5. I know a BD5 would be better but at the moment this is my stop gap.
It'll be a sort of BDW, but at much less than buying a BD5W. I know I'll end up with a BD5 eventually, but can't afford it right now so this is my solution!
The servo is moved closer to the centre line, belts flipped, tape slots moved forward and the chassis is 20mm narrower than a BD, at only 95mm.
Should have it tomorrow so I'll take some pics.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm glad someone recognised it Martin, was beginning to think I was a dinosaur!
My thinking behind it all was that I have my BD dailed in, and I can't really see a massive step forward in the suspension layout etc with a BD5. I know a BD5 would be better but at the moment this is my stop gap.
It'll be a sort of BDW, but at much less than buying a BD5W. I know I'll end up with a BD5 eventually, but can't afford it right now so this is my solution!
The servo is moved closer to the centre line, belts flipped, tape slots moved forward and the chassis is 20mm narrower than a BD, at only 95mm.
Should have it tomorrow so I'll take some pics.
pics please, interested in this
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default My newly dubed BDW

As requested, here are LOADS of pics.

Last edited by housey; 09-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Hope everyone likes it, I'm super happy with how it has turned out. Now I'm off to the track to test it out, cya!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hope everyone likes it, I'm super happy with how it has turned out. Now I'm off to the track to test it out, cya!
hey housey, great job on the chassis! looks really good, and you solved the most common problem i had with my BD - the area right behind the bumper mounts had too many holes, and the slightest knock would break the front part off rendering the chassis useless!

Please update this thread with how it turns out on the track

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.