Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing a Friend to the addiction

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default Introducing a Friend to the addiction

What's up all,
Got a friend that has seen some of my toys and watched a race or two and is interested in getting in himself. I told him the best ways to go about it would either be buy young used equip. or to find a decent RTR. He says that he really isn't interested in someone elses used gear but we've noticed that there aren't as many decent RTR packeges anymore. I know Losi used to make a decent package that once you spent that car, the radio might be decent to keep and maybe the receiver and such. Are good RTRs a thing of the past? Your input is much appreciated!!!

Kevin
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pretty much. AFAIK the best RTR is the associated TC4, although that's quite expensive. If you can find an equivalent of this: http://www.mirageracing.com/piw.php?partNo=MV12204 in the US then go for it. it's cheap, well built, reasonably competitive and pretty upgradeable. parts might be an issue, but I think you can buy kits off ebay. It's also built to bounce off walls all day long XD

it does, however, need a new motor, battery and charger.

failing that, an HPI sprint 2 (overpriced, but still OK), or kit would be better.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Or just buy a TA05R if you find one. If you don't, buy the TA05IFS R and switch to normal suspension (parts already in the kit).

This is a Tamiya kit, so parts support should be as good as it gets, and the car is competitive at any level right out of the box. It is at present on ebay for about 200$, so cost allows for the purchase of a good radio too. If that's too high, there's still the option of TA05 basic kits which are a lot cheaper and still quite competitive with minor mods.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem with the TA05 is it's a kit, and he want RTR. Also, it won't cope with car park bashing (which I assume he will do! everyone does at some point) as well. Although, of course, neither does the sprint 2.

Also, the R version is very expensive. If he were to want a kit, I'd go for the stock TA05. It's more durable, and MUCH cheaper.