Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

You need to lose the front wheel drive on that F201.....

Trust me.....it works FANTASTICALLY as a 2wd car......

Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Would you mind telling me where you got the parts from?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need to lose the front wheel drive on that F201.....

Trust me.....it works FANTASTICALLY as a 2wd car......

I've heard the same thing from several people. I have two MLP 4wd's. May just checkout that idea on one of them and turn it loose on the F1 gang here.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Speaking of MLP, any news on their return? I've wanted a chassis from them for some time, and since I've been bitten by the F1 bug again, it's now a must that I find one.

Ron
Old 08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Marty has had some ups and downs with his health but here lately it is overall very good. He no longer has the F201 chassis unless you can talk him out of the very few left. The 2wd Viper is the car he is getting ready now and it looks great. He is supposed to be at this years F1 Builders Cup race to introduce it to everyone. And take some orders on it especially if it wins the Cup.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

That's terrible to hear he's had issues, but great to know things are looking up. I hope all is well. His MLP stuff is simply amazing, and I would love to try one. There are several guys locally looking for kits as well. Perhaps the Viper is the way to go.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 08-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tamiya Virus
Would you mind telling me where you got the parts from?

Thanks.
I made them......I tested the car with the plastic gearcase with nothing in it.....found I liked how it worked. However the plastic was too flexible so I replaced it with aluminum.

Honestly, this is the best handling car for pure grip on asphalt that I've ever owned and I've been doing this for 20 years! And it's not too shabby on carpet either! Handles like a Pro10 car. This is with Tamiya Type A tires with NO traction compound. If you put compound on it has TOO MUCH grip and tries to traction roll!

I honestly feel that this chassis has been highly under rated....however in stock trim the car is too flexible for it's true capability to shine through. With an upgraded chassis the F201 is VERY capable....

In my opinion anyway.

Rob
Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

I bet adding all that aluminum weight to the front of that car drastically improved the steering alone. I like that. Looks very professional. Did you do anything different weight wise to the rear? Can't tell in those pics.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anyone have an extra Ferrari nose cone (or complete body) they can sell me? I just an F201 up that didn't come with one. PM me if you can help me out. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by theDover
I bet adding all that aluminum weight to the front of that car drastically improved the steering alone. I like that. Looks very professional. Did you do anything different weight wise to the rear? Can't tell in those pics.
To be honest it doesn't really weigh more than the stock front gearbox and drive shafts etc. May even be less....never really weighed the stuff back to back. It is however MUCH stiffer, that's what gives it better steering response.

I haven't done anything weight wise to the back....it is a 3Racing carbon chassis with my front end conversion. I have also changed the front damper mounting in order to be able to use a standard bottom eye and spring pirch allowing much faster spring changes. I have also made an aluminum rear toe link mount plate to prevent it from being tweakin in a rear wheel impact.

Basically I worked my way though all the weak points in the chassis to arrive where I am now....Fast and near bulletproof!

Rob
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by call-911
Does anyone have an extra Ferrari nose cone (or complete body) they can sell me? I just an F201 up that didn't come with one. PM me if you can help me out. Thanks!
You got pm...
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Go get'em Nova! You could probably help him more than I could. Most of my bodies are pretty sad right now. I never understood why the walls are always so close to the track. Anyhoo, for a car that is no longer in production I like how nobody is letting go of them here. Keep it up! Dang I wish I could get you guys to the F1 cup race. Stoopid gas prices.

One more thing. HPI has been dropped from the Builders Cup this year. They were all happy they came in 2nd at the first race but seem to have more important things this year to do so...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Glad to see everyone is enjoying the thread again =)

More updates from me.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F201-104_1675.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice! I was thinking about doing the 'option' tire stripe too! What body is that (MLP)?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

The body is the MLP and yeah the stripe is awesome imo. But it is temporary atm. Im not sure if i should use a white paint pen or what. Right now its just pactra striping. Not sure whats best. Still a long way to go! I have to finish off the barge boards, the spoiler end plates, the decals, so much... ugh! Oh and dont forget the undertray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.