Like Tree52Likes

Tamiya F201

Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiya4life View Post
did you ever get around to creating the front and rear diff housings for these cars? I've got a few that really need them like most people on here.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

This is one car that Tamiya really really needs to re-release. With a better gear ratio to take advantage of todays brushless setups and LiPo power.
aracefan likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ae racer1 View Post
did you ever get around to creating the front and rear diff housings for these cars? I've got a few that really need them like most people on here.
I ended up with two designs that have different mounting locations for the rear tie/trail arm.
One makes use of the wing mount holes to mount the trail arms while the other has holes behind the rear A arm hole. The difference is the wing hole mounted trail arms cause the rear wheels to toe-out when the suspension is compressed. If you are interested in this part, PM me and I can work with you if you have a verified paypal address/account. Keep in mind that using this part requires you to cut off the F201 wing mount from the bottom cover of the rear gearbox.

The problem is, the ring/propeller gear distance isn't perfect, there are some weaknesses to the left rocker-arm mount and the metal counter-gears end up shaving off each other. Now that I have a little free time from race-less weekends I'll spend some time fixing the spacing. I bought 3 bags of F201 ring gears sets as well since the higher power has been shaving them down both especially with sensorless brushless motors and when only using the rear portion of the drive-train to make it RWD. I've also been looking at metal propeller and ring gear parts from other chassis like the Traxxas 1/16 Slash rear gearbox and have been considering creating a F201 gearbox with Traxxas gears.

Originally Posted by packhntr View Post
This is one car that Tamiya really really needs to re-release. With a better gear ratio to take advantage of todays brushless setups and LiPo power.
When I saw Mr. Tamiya at the 2019 Long Beach Grand Prix I showed him pictures of my F201 and asked him to re-release it with a modern body. He laughed and mentioned the F104 exists but I pointed out the realism of the F201. Maybe Tamiya will come out with a commemorative body/F104 for Honda's recent F1 win with Red Bull, at least a 1:20 model. Maybe they could revive the Quick-Drive line up with some modern cars.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

@Tamiya4Life: Honestly, I (and others) have little interest in the F104...and in my case ANY solid rear axle car. They are FAR from realistic. They are just pan cars with F1 ish bodies on them PASS
Old 08-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default F201 Mercedes W09 update

New bargeboard design.

Getting close to finishing!

I cut the nose piece along the side of the body right above the front A arm and tilted it down so that the nose touches the front wing. Used left over polycarbonate body pieces with double sided tape to strengthen the new nose angle front the inside.

wtcc likes this.