R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree17Likes

Old 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #661
Tech Initiate

Wow that is some amazing prototype work!! I'm dusting off my F201 this week and have been looking for some spares to get up and running and realizing how little is out there for this kit. Is there any chance you'd take donations or some sort of payment for others to use your 3D model files to have parts printed locally?
Atjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #662
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sick parts....you should start a Shapeways store. They have a dedicated RC section now, and there are multiple designers selling parts that are being raced in offroad.

Masami RC10 worlds car replica

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/nixconcepts
scirocco14 likes this.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #663
Tech Initiate

Also, do all the F1 bodies generally fit all kits with just different mounting hole locations needed? I noticed last night that my F201 body and F103 body could be interchangeable with light modifications. I only ask because it's far easier to find the newer bodies at a decent price than pay absurd "vintage" prices on a rare F201 body
Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #664
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"Normal" F1 bodies on the F201 chassis will always generate two problems:
1. the nose will be too narrow to cover the front suspension,
2. overall the body will be a little short and though not cover the rear perfectly.
If you get a realistic Tamiya body like a 2009 Ferrari it also will not fit as the rear end of the body is too narrow to fit the F201 rear.
Atjays likes this.
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #665
Tech Rookie

I've considered Shapeways and still need to wrap my head around what their terms of conditions are. I don't plan to share my 3D models as I'd like to keep them my own product (instead of making it a 3d model other people can profit off of). I'm looking into having the parts printed in aluminum to see if I can avoid casting, but I'd have to first try a few times to even see if my parts are precise enough. I'm still not so sure about having the screw hole grooves pre-printed as I'm not sure how cleanly it will mesh with the m2 screw.

If there are any parts that someone would like to see designed I'd be open to consider it. So far I have a few more that I haven't completed like the front gear box, complete spur gear holder, modern A-arms, front wing, rear wing, and other aero pieces.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #666
Tech Rookie

With some work, the Speed Passion SP000179 body can be made to fit nicely on the F201 body so long as you don't cut off too much excess support towards the rear of the body.

The Sakura FGX F1 body also works nicely if you cut out the suspension arm holes cleanly as well. It's probably the longest of all the 1/10 scale F1 bodies.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #667
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya4life View Post
If there are any parts that someone would like to see designed I'd be open to consider it. So far I have a few more that I haven't completed like the front gear box, complete spur gear holder, modern A-arms, front wing, rear wing, and other aero pieces.
Personally I think it would just be nice to source spare parts easier than hiked up prices found on ebay. Most hobby shops don't carry F201 equipment from what I'm seeing. Also, custom made pieces like the front and rear wings are a nice addition to make the kits look current. The possibilities are endless really, I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't gotten into this market yet, it's perfect for 3D printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya4life View Post
With some work, the Speed Passion SP000179 body can be made to fit nicely on the F201 body so long as you don't cut off too much excess support towards the rear of the body.

The Sakura FGX F1 body also works nicely if you cut out the suspension arm holes cleanly as well. It's probably the longest of all the 1/10 scale F1 bodies.
Thanks for the body suggestions! I'll give them a look. I also have a F103 I'm getting track ready. Apparently it's still highly competitive with a few F104 bits thrown on it. My F201 is ready to run, just needs new electronics all around.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #668
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Anyone looking for a F201 chassis kit nib with every optional part available.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F201-20170319_142408.jpg   Tamiya F201-20170319_142416.jpg   Tamiya F201-20170319_142650.jpg  
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #669
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
Anyone looking for a F201 chassis kit nib with every optional part available.
You have a PM, sir.
aracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #670
Tech Initiate

I decided to go with the Passion racing bodies as they should look really nice once done. They come with several different nose configurations to make it look more realistic depending which era you're going for and even have the "shark fins" as optional to add which the cars have again this year

Only issue is I think I'll have to order a different type of battery, my SMC batteries arrived today and fit the F103 fine, but the square peg into the round hole doesn't work on the F201 lol
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #671
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atjays View Post
I decided to go with the Passion racing bodies as they should look really nice once done. They come with several different nose configurations to make it look more realistic depending which era you're going for and even have the "shark fins" as optional to add which the cars have again this year

Only issue is I think I'll have to order a different type of battery, my SMC batteries arrived today and fit the F103 fine, but the square peg into the round hole doesn't work on the F201 lol
Exactly, the issue with the F201 chassis is that it can't fit a standard lipo battery. The flat shorty pack from Reedy is what I picked up recently. Also making my own chassis plate out of lexan paired with the plastic tamiya upper chassis let it slide in nicely. Otherwise there are these smaller 1/16th scale speed packs that you could pick up and if you wanted get two and split them on each side. Or put foam on the upper and lower plates and slide one small speed pack in and avoid using the battery retainer covers to fit the narrower bodies. The packaging of components is really tight and a challenge to get it to fit nice.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #672
Tech Master

My chassis got revived today by getting it from the shelf
I checked everything and was surprised that the damper where still good. Normally they loose oil, but whatever I made last time seemed to do the job.
Just one thing irritated me: The rear has no possibility to adjust droop in any way but to put spacers into the shocks. I wasn't motivated at all to open them, so I looked for a small mod to make droopscrews happen. A small plate was dremeled and replaced together with small spacers the original spacers of the tuning chassis. The droopscrews need to be pretty long (around 8mm) in this position of the plate. I need to have space for cables here. Otherwise it would be no problem to lift the plate by putting the spacers underneath...
I am still in love with the car everytime I see it. Hopefully the oversteer is history now with the droop mod and a fresh diff

G-rem and aracefan like this.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #673
Tech Master

Back from a very nice outdoor trackday. The weather was fantastic: sunny and not too warm. Everybody was in a good mood. And somehow with our tc's we all ended up nearly having the same speed (even with different tires and motors) which generated spectacular fun racing.

I tried to drive as much as possible today and switched to the F201 after the tc "wars". Unfortunately I couldn't cure the heavy oversteering I took out front grip to make it more easy to handle. To be honest I don't think this chassis is good for racing. The arms are to weak, the damper are horrible and the tires, too. And then I had one little touch with the barrier and the inner rear toe link mount bend off of the diff housing So this part is for the trash.

Right now I am unsure what to do. The car has a lot of weak spots and spares are hard to get. The dampers are not working properly. I have to look into the problem. Maybe it is all about the o-rings. The tires are probably just old. I need to order actual F1-tires and attach them to the wheels. Does somebody know if this works?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #674
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I always found my F201 to be super fragile. I moved back to my F103 pretty quickly, the breakages added up very quickly. That was back when it was new and parts were available.

Might be time to send it to the shelf? It looks very clean and in great condition

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #675
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
The tires are probably just old. I need to order actual F1-tires and attach them to the wheels. Does somebody know if this works?
From my research and reading the kit grooved tires are trash. I believe RIDE makes a rubber slick tire that works really well. But yes for the rest of your problems there don't seem to be many solutions. Spares will always be expensive as they are hard to find. Great car to have on a shelf or take out for the occasional practice session for fun but it doesn't fit any competitive class rules.