R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree17Likes

Old 02-02-2002, 07:57 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya America plans to run all of the F1 chassis together for TCS races for the time being, according to my LHS owner, who spoke with them earlier this week.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Fangio: Whats the big deal? What, anyone who actually likes the new car needs to change to slot cars??? Whats that all about? I like the F201. Its not all about how easy it is to drive. I like it because its a very cool car and it represents a chance for the class to grow again.

What great car is Tamiya killing anyway? Not the F10X series of cars. THey aren't going anywhere. If people prefer them to the new car, there will still be plenty of the F10X cars on the track. So again I ask.......whats the big deal?

Did I miss the news flash that said everyone HAS TO replace their old F1 with the new one? If I did please post a link to that news story.

As for your statement about why we drive F1 cars. According to you its because "it looks and drives scale". Well maybe thats why you do it. I drive them for the same reason I drive all R/C cars. For FUN! Remember the fun factor? So if an easier to drive car makes it more fun for some people or more importantly for new comers to the class, so be it. Besides, think about this. Driving a Touring car with the completly wrong tires for the track conditions is also "challenging", but that doesn't mean you want to do it.

Like I've said before, if making an F1 car thats easier to drive keeps the class from disappearing at local tracks and in the TCS, then more power to it.

If you had your way, things would just continue the way they are. With the "challenging" to drive F1 cars. NEWS FLASH! THose "challenging" "scale" cars are killing the class. In case you didn't notice. "Challenging" cars are great for veteran pan car tuners and drivers, but if new comers can't drive or tune the car when they try it the first couple of times, they drop it, along with the class. And that means you end up with no one in the class, except those who drive for the "challenge". Sound familiar? It should, because that is what has happened to the Pro10(1/10 pan cars) and the F1 class. Where are they now??? Thats right, all but dead. Stop me if I'm lying here. Have I just missed those huge Pro10 and F1 classes at the big races?

Look all I'm saying is that if you like the challenge of 2wd F1, cool. But don't dump on people who might like to see the F1 class have a chance to grow back to what it was originally. And easier to drive F1 cars gives the class that chance.

It isn't just a coincidence that the TC class is so popular. The cars are "fun" to drive, even for new comers.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:21 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

just a note, the new car is 100x more scale then the old ones. although before the new tire rules and everything the old twice as wide pan car tires might of been scale, they arent anymore, and it just looks odd, the f103 is also too wide (scale wise).

i personaly race 12th scale and tc and enjoy both of them, each for different reasons. however i feel that a 4wd platform is the correct way to go. it is true pan cars are not easy to drive and require skill, that alot of people in rc do not have, or do not want to get the time to get. also pan cars require a much better surface to run on then a 4wd car.

as for the weight and drag issue, pan cars do hold an advantage, and a pan car can defently outhandle a 4wd touring car, however thats only with a very good driver, and if the surface is there. on carpet no doubt they will slaughter a touring car, however on rough asphault, which is where most tracks are today, pan cars tend to be a bear to drive. 4wd is much more forgiving, and allows the novice driver to be able to expearance a rc version of a f1 car. and maybe even get deeper into f1 itself. which i really dont see a downside to. some might seeing how its a "right of passage" type of thing, to have to be able to drive it to enjoy f1, however thats the same type of crap F1 has a problem with right now, its too esculsive in some reguards, which i feel needs to go, but then again, i doubt my opinion matters......

anyway........ after all that ranting........

i will be one of the first to buy this new car, even though it doesnt have a williams body (hey, nothing perfect), but hopefully due to the amount of people being able to drive it, and wanting to get one, will allow for tamiya to purchase the rights to get other f1 bodies (something that was lacking previously).
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
Tech Adept

I am totally for a growing F1 class, but I like having a car to drive that know one else can. Hey why don't they make real F1 4wd so more people can do it. The reason why it is called F1 is because it is hard to drive thus the title Formula 1. Having a car that is hard to drive is not only fun to watch, but also fun to drive. Also if you havenít realized it at TCS events the F1 class is not the smallest. So maybe we should make sedans or minis with Mabuchi motors easier to drive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people drive r/c cars because they look scale. This is why they are fun because they look like real cars.

Even though I dislike the idea of a 4wd F1 I will own one. And as far as your comment on why don't I just keep running my F103 I will, but it will not be legal for TCS. If the do not allow the F201 to run with at least a mild mod the F103 will smoke it. Maybe they should just run with Mabuchiís because you know how challenging it will be to drive. Maybe Tamiya should just put little wheels on the wings of the new car so you can pin the throttle and the car drives it self. Is that easy enough for you to drive?
Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 08:59 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fangio
The reason why it is called F1 is because it is hard to drive thus the title Formula 1.
I'm having a hard time following your logic.

Trips
Old 02-03-2002, 07:56 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Formula 1 is called that because it is the ultimate type of racing.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've been reading all of your postings, I really can see both sides of the discussion. I've been into R/C for 17 years now (Associated was a just a dream back then) I'm new to F1, and have bought every hop-up for my RX. I love F1, and now I'm kinda addicted to it, I want more of it. More performance, more people to get involved, more manufactures to jump abord, ect. I really do think Tamiya is making a step in the right direction with a car for the masses. The hard core "Gotta be scale performance" guys will not be left out as I see it. With the new Cross car, there has never been more F1 choices, and If I recall Tamiya has been re-releasing older models with the 103RS chassis. I dont see hop-ups, and parts being a viable issue. The 10x is not dead, just gaining a new little brother.
Hey, not everyone buys on scale appearance, or actual scale performance. Right now there is a little truck on the market that has taken R/C by storm, and to a new level of performance......Lets see Its called the T-maxx if I'm not mistaken, you can see one at almost every park in America. The Big T has nothing to do with being scale, I'd doesnt have the suspension, frame, or scale appearance of any truck on the road. What it does have is performance that no other company has matched yet. This will hopefully be the same effect the 201 4wd F1 has.

Who knows how fast it will be, I cant say and neither can you. If a 201 runs against a 10X on a perfect surface, I would expect a 10X to hold the advantage. But lets face it, no one runs on a perfect parking lot during the weekday. The 201 will take an extra second to "spool" up but you should be able to hold it on in the corners like we do with TC's actually making up that lost second. And of course you wont be spinning out if you get on the power too soon comming out of a corner.

I'll be keeping my 103, but go ahead and sign me up for a 201, it just gives me more choices when its time to race F1 class!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:19 AM   #23
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Good post hobbipro! I for one haven't seen many 'scale' buggies or 'scale' Trucks lately!!! If you want scale then run a mini-z with a tamiya 'scale' body as found in their 1/24 static model kits!!!!!!

Keep RC for the masses.... not the elitist! A round of aplause to Tamiya for doing something different in F1 EP!!! (Even though Kyosho has already gone the route of 4WD F1 )
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:21 AM   #24
Regional Moderator

Stormperson: If Williams keeps doing as well as they have, Tamiya will definitely have to make a Williams body.

Personally, I love the body! (can you guess who I cheer for on race day? )
Old 02-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Hobbypro,
most people that buy T-Maxxes are not race purests. Thwy buy the car to bash around with. Also it is scale to a monster truck. Oh and Tamiyas new Terra Crusher will smoke a T-maxx.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:08 PM   #26
Regional Moderator

Fangio: man your really caught up in this whole scale thing aren't you?

I'd like to see what monster truck the T-Maxx is scale to. Last time I checked their were no fully independent, eight shock, monster trucks in real life. Of course I could be mistaken.

Of course it will smoke a T-Maxx, it has a bigger engine. Who cares anyway? Tamiya lovers bashed the T-Maxx for "not" being scale because of its fully independent suspension, now Tamiya copies the design,(oh, I'm sorry, I mean comes up with a completely unique truck ) and now its all okay with those same critics. Pure hipocrits!

Anyway, just as that new truck caused me to lose faith in Tamiya's ability to innovate, they come out with a 4wd F1 car. Now thats what I expect from Tamiya....... !

Like I said before........Bring on the F201!
Old 02-03-2002, 03:17 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Fango, I was mearly using the T-maxx as an example of a purely performance R/C " monster truck", compaired to a Scale R/C truck. There have been plenty of monster trucks before it but none of them made people stop by a hobby shop to pick one up. This is where perormance, NOT SCALE has won the war.
I dont hear anyone complaining about there TC's not being true to scale either. If TC's werent 4wd it wouldnt be as popular as they are today........progress gave us pan cars.......now 4wd touring cars......its just evolution. Tamiya feels they can bring people back to F1 by making it 4wd, a wise choice in my opinion. I'm sure Tamiya knows it is making a gamble with the new chassis, but they havent been around this long making huge mistakes. Give the 201 a chance you very well may be able to lay down some fast lap times with a 4wd F1, plus your friends and neighbors may see how easy it is to drive and may want one as well!

P.S. T-maxx has been around for what 3 years now? And tamiya and kyosho have finally found an answer, Good for them. But its too darn late. Guys like myself (yep, got a T) have long since stuck a 1hp, or .21 engine in there. The terra crusher wont put a dent in the t-maxx sales, .18 or not. Especially with the hop-up shops all tooled up for the Maxx, and Traxxas next project (not yet announced). This will give people in europe, and asia the monster truck craze since traxxas is not big over there.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 04:16 PM   #28
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Scale appearance should not matter when making a racecar. If it's more competitive, and more fun, and faster on most tracks, it sounds good to me.

And saying that full-size F1s are hard to drive so the scale ones should be hard to drive is ridiculous. Do you really think that a computer-controlled, traction-controlled F1 car with a full time data link is harder to drive than, say, an IRL car or a CART car? Sure, the competition is tougher, but is the car harder to drive? No way.

When Tamiya comes up with a scale F1 car that can send telemetry data to my notebook as I take laps, allowing my pit man to make remote adjustments, then we'll talk scale.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:25 PM   #29
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
When Tamiya comes up with a scale F1 car that can send telemetry data to my notebook as I take laps, allowing my pit man to make remote adjustments, then we'll talk scale.
very funny!!! hasn't somebody tried to make a sensor system for 1/8th, not with remote adjustments but you could retrieve data after a race?

personally I am going to buy one just becasue of the complexity of it, it looks like a fun kit to build, I am sure I'll race it too
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Futureal, I'm just playing devils advocate, but do you think an IRL car or a CART car is easier to drive at all?

I don't believe 'hard to drive' is a good thing. It's only an unwanted side effect of having a low drag 2wd drivetrain and a very lightweight chassis.

Last edited by Potato; 02-03-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote