Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Best LiPo Race Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default What is the Best LiPo Race Charger?

Im looking to finally leave NiMh and go to Lipo. Can someone tell me the Best Lipo Charger for Touring cars. I will be getting the IB 7.4V LiPo Batteries most likely.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thunder Power and the Hyperion chargers look pretty good. If you have a GFX now you can send it in for a Lipo software update and just use that. You would only need to get yourself a balancer to use with it. I believe the two I mentioned about come with a balancer already.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hyperion makes some really good chargers with the built in balancer already. Also they can be updated by hookup to a PC.

The Duo one they sell also can charge two individual packs at the same time regardless of what they are. when I was doing 1/10 scale truck, I would charge my 7.4V pack, and then also charge my transmitter pack at the same time.

now, I chage 2 7.4V packs together as one pack (sync mode) for my E-revo.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fpart
Im looking to finally leave NiMh and go to Lipo. Can someone tell me the Best Lipo Charger for Touring cars. I will be getting the IB 7.4V LiPo Batteries most likely.
CORE RC with the built in balancer
Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's hard to beat Hyperion with the upgradable software. The AC/DC version is nice if you don't plan on charging above 1C. The DUO is sweet if you need to charge two packs at once, and will go up to 10A per side.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3367
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3589

Hyperion also has some PC software you can use to watch your packs more carefully while they're charging. It's neat stuff, with pretty graphs and the like.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hyperion also has some PC software you can use to watch your packs more carefully while they're charging. It's neat stuff, with pretty graphs and the like.
I'm all about having fancy gadgets that aren't really nessecary but they look cool I am, after all, going to school to be an engineer and us engineers are all about the latest and greatest in technology
Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Finally figured out that you weren't scooby hahaha.

I have an extra hotwire brand new in the box if you still need one (this is tory from the mushroombowl).

I've been using a duratrax ICE and an Orion advantage carbon. The carbon charges MUCH faster than the ICE does, but doesn't have the ports to plugin the balancer and the screen is a little small, Marvin has the checkpoint and that one charges faster than the ice as well, the ice does a great job consider the price and all things considered i'm happy with it.

I am thinking about upgrading to a hyperion myself though because all the electric flight and heli guys say they are the best there is at lower cost lipo.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hi Tory,

This is Tom Lane. Scooby's friend. I have a Hotwire but that won't help me with Lipo...lol.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

probably either pulsar 3 or core rc
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fpart
Hi Tory,

This is Tom Lane. Scooby's friend. I have a Hotwire but that won't help me with Lipo...lol.

I know who you are now i was yelling at scooby the whole weekend until he figured out what i was talknig about haha. I kept asking him for his tekin so i could put it on the computer hahaha.

Either way, i have a couple differnet types of lipo chargers and i've been looking to the electric heli and plane boards for help as they've been using lipo's for years longer than we have. They all seem to like the hyperion stuff, and most of the stuff we are getting are rebranded plane stuff like the core-rc which is actually an Imax charger rebrnaded, so is the losi. Imax is another brand that has a high end lipo charger but the hyperion connects to the pc and allows some killer stuff!! The downside is it doesn't cycle batteries (at least not yet) so you will need some way to discharge if you feel the need to cycle your nimh cells.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by YmeBP
I've been using a duratrax ICE and an Orion advantage carbon. The carbon charges MUCH faster than the ICE does, but doesn't have the ports to plugin the balancer and the screen is a little small, Marvin has the checkpoint and that one charges faster than the ice as well, the ice does a great job consider the price and all things considered i'm happy with it.
Once your battery is done on the Carbon, put it on the Ice and see how much more charge it takes. For giggles, charge your pack with each charger and then measure the voltage afterwards. The carbon doesn't fully charge the pack. All those little chargers like it have the same problem. I was putting in another 300mah between the carbon and Ice.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Once your battery is done on the Carbon, put it on the Ice and see how much more charge it takes. For giggles, charge your pack with each charger and then measure the voltage afterwards. The carbon doesn't fully charge the pack. All those little chargers like it have the same problem. I was putting in another 300mah between the carbon and Ice.
I kinda figured as much, the carbon charged like 15 minutes faster than the ice.

I also like that the checkpoint and hyperion allows you to charge at more than 1c, the checkpoint allows up to 10 amps (it's little brother the ICE is 1c only).
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by YmeBP
I kinda figured as much, the carbon charged like 15 minutes faster than the ice.

I also like that the checkpoint and hyperion allows you to charge at more than 1c, the checkpoint allows up to 10 amps (it's little brother the ICE is 1c only).
The DUO will go to 10A/side. The Hyperion AC/DC is 6A max, so if you're using a 5000 pack, you're going to get like 1.2C max. The DUO would be 2C. I -think- maybe you can combine sides of the DUO to go higher. Scary.

I had the Checkpoint, it's definitely a nice little charger.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I really like my Hyperion ESO606I AD
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Regional Moderator

I think that the Carbon stops the charge cycle when the pack hits 8.4 V, whereas the Ice / Checkpoint TC-1030 start decreasing the charge current when the voltage hits 8.4 volts, until the charge current hits 0.10A. This is why it seems that the Ice/TC-1030 take forever to finish charging, since they actually fully charge the pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.