R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default Which lipo I should buy

Hi, I want to buy my first lipo battery, but so many out there, I don't really know which one I should buy. Lower C rate (20 or 25) 4200 mah well known brand pack will cost you nearly $100, whereas high C rate (30 or 35) 5000 mah pack from HK or China is only less than $70. What makes the difference? extra money for branding and marketing reasons? or lower price means lower quality pack which fakes the C rate or performance? I guess most of lipo pack are made in China but when they come to the US, do those American companies match or zap the pack in order to ensure the quality and that is why they are more expensive?
05forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I feel your pain here...I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, guessing how a certain pack will perform based on capacity, advertised C rating, and who's logo is on the pack is really a crap shoot. I have read many reviews of some of the latest/greatest packs from some of the most reputable names in the biz, and they turned out to be total duds. On the other hand, there are an equal number of reviews for "no name" cheapie HK packs that are really good performers. I haven't tried them all so I can't recommend a specific pack, but I'm sure others will list the ones they have had good results with. Best of luck

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

there are no wrong choices, i've tried so many packs and to be honest I cannot tell a difference in performance between one pack and another they all feel so similar to me.

All that BS about being genuine 24c , if that were really true the pack would feel much different than a 40c pack however they feel the same.

There all good mate, pick the one that fits your chassis best and falls within your budget, you wont make a wrong choice.
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
there are no wrong choices, i've tried so many packs and to be honest I cannot tell a difference in performance between one pack and another they all feel so similar to me.

All that BS about being genuine 24c , if that were really true the pack would feel much different than a 40c pack however they feel the same.

There all good mate, pick the one that fits your chassis best and falls within your budget, you wont make a wrong choice.
have you test against Team Orion lipo? or Trakpowers, its was review as best lipo money can buy....i am thinking of getting them..for my mo3
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Tech Addict

As I know that the air plane guys have been using lipo for years (much earlier than R/C car), so suppose they know more than car guys. I checked their forums and surprisingly noticed that most of them use some no name American packs (cells from China and test, assemble in US factory) rather than known brands, and they all say that the performance is better than big company. It looks to me that air plane guys tend to look for cheap but high performance pack, and they can always find one somewhere. So I think cheap price doesn't mean poor performance, we can see the feedback in hobbycity website, people only complained that 27 bucks 25C 4000 amh pack having poor soldering work but no weak performance. I have found some packs which are 4500~5000 mah, 25~35 C rate have the price range from 50 to 80, I think I may go for one of them.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh where have you found much cheapness cells? I am from the UK... and we are looking at 60-80 for one pack!!!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05forfun View Post
As I know that the air plane guys have been using lipo for years (much earlier than R/C car), so suppose they know more than car guys. I checked their forums and surprisingly noticed that most of them use some no name American packs (cells from China and test, assemble in US factory) rather than known brands, and they all say that the performance is better than big company. It looks to me that air plane guys tend to look for cheap but high performance pack, and they can always find one somewhere. So I think cheap price doesn't mean poor performance, we can see the feedback in hobbycity website, people only complained that 27 bucks 25C 4000 amh pack having poor soldering work but no weak performance. I have found some packs which are 4500~5000 mah, 25~35 C rate have the price range from 50 to 80, I think I may go for one of them.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_mouth_frog View Post
Oh where have you found much cheapness cells? I am from the UK... and we are looking at 60-80 for one pack!!!

Thanks
Maybe they are not hard cased, which is a "must have" for racing. Hey, I could be wrong though so just ignore that if it's not the case...

Plus anything coming from overseas will have a customs duty and Parcel force charge on it, not a nice thing to have to factor in, but I guess thats life...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tell me about it... with the exchange rate all to pot, its not fun hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Maybe they are not hard cased, which is a "must have" for racing. Hey, I could be wrong though so just ignore that if it's not the case...

Plus anything coming from overseas will have a customs duty and Parcel force charge on it, not a nice thing to have to factor in, but I guess thats life...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Tech Regular

I have bought a pack of the cheapest lipo cell (35) nick adams sells and it is no difference to the 50.00 packs.

here's the link

www.demonpowerproducts.co.uk

enjoy....
whoopass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
Tech Regular

IMHO if you are running lipo modified then go for the 2S2P cells. if running pro stock of stock go for the 2S1P.

its all to do with the apm draw from the motor on the cells. and the largest amp draw will be off the line, as the car is generally rolling for the rest of your run, it is unlikely that you will draw the max power the motor requires to start, or the max load the battery can output during your 5 minutue run
whoopass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
Tech Champion

+1 with whoopass.

I've had much stuff from demon, motors, cells, soldering iron etc etc over the years, and not had an issue with anything.

You know he will sell you quality stuff, at a reasonable price for a UK outlet, you won't have the worry of customs charges etc etc so i'd definately suggest checking his site out

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I would also recommend the Demon LiPos, I've not tried the 3600, but the 4000 has been good. The 3600s are also on the new BRCA list.

At 35, one pack of these and you're set for just about anything, unless you have very little charge time between races (get two packs) or you need the absolute best performance, but these should be very close to the best packs.
ianjoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_mouth_frog View Post

Thanks
Try the following websites, they may not perfectly fit into your car, so check the dimension.
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...an=ELT&cat=E30
http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/read...eady_packs.htm
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=16
http://hicountryhobbies.com/index.ph...products_id=86
http://www.toysonics.com/loong-max-7...tery-pack.html
http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/home/index.is
http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/index.php