R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Are dischargers necessary?

If you usually run your pack until its dead do you need to discharge it? Im a noob to electric stuff so I dont really know. The reason Im asking is that I could save some money getting started in electric if I dont get one. If they are necessary, is it essential that it be a 30amp discharge or is a 20amp discharge sufficent?

Thanks

Last edited by AE Racer; 11-16-2003 at 12:35 AM.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're a perfectionist then yes... discharge to at least 5.4 per pack (that's what i do for my fuk 3300s.)

Last edited by AWOLsoldier; 11-16-2003 at 03:20 AM.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Do you think a 20amp discharge is enough though?
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:50 AM   #4
Tech Elite

this is what i(and most people) do:
run them till it almost dumps.discharge to 5.4V per pack/0.9V per cell.tray until exactly 0.9V.store or recharge after cooling.

the discharge rate,if u've already run the packs,won't really matter.20A's are actually for cycling the packs after long periods of storage.If u have only a coupla hundred mAh's left in the packs,20A will only mean 1 minute or so.
as with most RC equipment,get the best u can afford.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:05 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have gotten the lrp competiton charger partly because it had a 10 amp disharge and variable shut off voltage

however i have read enough about discharge trays that i am now wondering if i need one

i am also kinda new to this electric stuff or at least i havent done it for a year or 2 and feel like everything is new

i am racing and use smc matched packs and i want them to run well and last a long time

i have read that using a discharger (one that doesnt hook to each cell individually) will leave the batteries with different voltages in them but wouldnt it also equallize back out in a couple of minutes after discharging

i think i know the proper way would be to buy a discharge tray but i wanted to get some more input before i go spend another $50 or whatever they cost
Old 11-16-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
Tech Elite

i trayed my new packs today,as i 'forgot' to do it 2 cycles ago and i'm getting 100mAh's more than just a discharge on a discharger....
do the wise thing...u dont really need the most expensive tray,u can even do it urself,i'll try and post the link.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

if you are new you don't necessarily need a discharge tray.

assuming these a NIMH batteries....at the end of the run or day discharge your packs down to 5.4v (6cells). the 10amp discharge is fine. sure alot of guys will tell you 20amps or more....but believe me for now this will work fine for you.

i would spend the money on tires or practice time.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

i dont think you really need them unless...like everyone else said...your a hardcore RC dude. i just run 8 mins in my heat and main and either recharge them for my next main or store them. they got just enough charge for storage and nimh arent like nicds dont have memory in them.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
Tech Elite

am i correct when i say after discharging to 5.4 i then need to recharge them partially before storing them for a week

i am trying to make certain i dont mess up my brand new kinda expensive packs
Old 11-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Re: Are dischargers necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by AE Racer
If you usually run your pack until its dead do you need to discharge it? Im a noob to electric stuff so I dont really know. The reason Im asking is that I could save some money getting started in electric if I dont get one. If they are necessary, is it essential that it be a 30amp discharge or is a 20amp discharge sufficent?

Thanks
you must not run them until they're dead, as such, there will already be cells that are below the prescribed cut off and will be hurt in the process.

30 AMP discharge is better.

an equilizer or discharge tray is also good becuase it cuts-off at .09 volts per cell.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

You're gonna get a lot of different answers based on people's different experiences. Here's my advice;

Discharge rate on non-memory batteries (like NiMh's) doesn't matter but equalizing the packs really helps them last longer and perform better. I use the Trinity real time 2.5 but any tray will help. I just discharge them down to 6 volts with the 10amp discharge mode on my charger and tray them till the lights go out indicating that the cells have hit .9 volts then charge them when they are cool. My packs are working way better than before. I about to toss some of them and now they run great.

The high discharge rate is really for Nicd's. They needed to be discharged at the same rate to keep them working well.
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
Tech Elite

one question,since i've just begun using trays myself:
do we really have to wait until the lights go out?
it goes really dim after 1-2 hours,but ONLY if switch of the room lights i can see there is still light on the LED's.
for them to really go off,it takes overnight...
Old 11-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
one question,since i've just begun using trays myself:
do we really have to wait until the lights go out?
it goes really dim after 1-2 hours,but ONLY if switch of the room lights i can see there is still light on the LED's.
for them to really go off,it takes overnight...
That's the basic problem with bulb dischargers - the way you can check it, is to connect a voltmeter across one of the cells - this way you'll know which "dim level" correspond to 0,9 volt.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:25 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Re: Are dischargers necessary?

Driving the car until it slows down is a good way.

NiCd's should be stored discharged.

NiMh should be stored at approx. 30% of full capasity. Personally, I discharge them to ensure a full charge. But this might not be nessecary (havent tried it).

So I'll say: Start out without a discharger. Later on you might want one.

20 versus 30 amps: I'm discharging at 10 amps (stock class) and do fine at club level racing. Afterwards I'm using a active equalizer with individual cell auto cut-off. Just a slow Orion one, but it improve performance and prolong pack life. I'm doing this on both NiCd and NiMh.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:10 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

i got a deans discharger from free from a friend is this a sufficent discaharger to use or should i but a tray?
losi4life is offline   Reply With Quote