Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
---Good Idea? Something new--- >

---Good Idea? Something new---

---Good Idea? Something new---

Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Champion

Very nice idea, but...

I think the electronics and sensors are already out there for us to in the future include them on motors internally, by the means of a small replacable PCB board, sensor and LCD temperature display, or with additional wiring meens, placing the LCD away from the motor.

Anyone else think this would look sick? (and not forgetting, work well lol)

Welcome to the F1 style and technical side of r/c, the Brushless motor system...

We are already hooking our Laptops up to ESC software, why not to have sensors connected to a PC with USB, or having standalone temperature sensors too?

You could probably get a greater degree of accuracy with a sensor too.

Or, a clip on sensor, with a connector of some description, connect it to your laptop without even having to take the shell off, job done.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So are these things reusable? Meaning do they "reset to zero" when they cool off, or do they permanently the highest temperature they see? We had similar stickers were I used to work and I was always under the impression that those just recorded the highest temperature they saw, meaning once a square turned colors it never turned back (one use item). If these reset when they cool off, then this is definitely cool.

Though I already own a temp gun.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't talk for the ones mr. ament posted, but the ones used for the inside of fish tanks don't "stick" to one temp, they will fluctuate with different temps.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
So are these things reusable? Meaning do they "reset to zero" when they cool off, or do they permanently the highest temperature they see? We had similar stickers were I used to work and I was always under the impression that those just recorded the highest temperature they saw, meaning once a square turned colors it never turned back (one use item). If these reset when they cool off, then this is definitely cool.

Though I already own a temp gun.

Im pretty sure it tells the current temperature. So if your motor isnt in use, the sticker obviously wouldnt respond in color, because the motor is below the certain heat (around 140 at the lowest). So yeah, it would just be in the "Neutral" stage when its not in use.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Very nice idea, but...

I think the electronics and sensors are already out there for us to in the future include them on motors internally, by the means of a small replacable PCB board, sensor and LCD temperature display, or with additional wiring meens, placing the LCD away from the motor.

Anyone else think this would look sick? (and not forgetting, work well lol)

Welcome to the F1 style and technical side of r/c, the Brushless motor system...

We are already hooking our Laptops up to ESC software, why not to have sensors connected to a PC with USB, or having standalone temperature sensors too?

You could probably get a greater degree of accuracy with a sensor too.

Or, a clip on sensor, with a connector of some description, connect it to your laptop without even having to take the shell off, job done.
All sensored motors have an internal temp circuit, it's surprising there isn't something we can piggy back on the harness and read the internal temp already.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
Heh, like the other guy said, can't wait till Hudy gets his paws on these stickers, slaps the "OPTIMIZED" and "LUXURIOUS" tags on it then sells em for $35 a pop, instead of 3 for $20. LOL!!

I wonder if I took a dump in a bag and sent it over to Hudy, how much he can "optimize" and "luxuriate" my bag of dump and sell it!

Learn more about Slovakia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia
then china gets in on the act "yeah zippy electromotor heat read stick!" "good, new, luxuriously elegant!"
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HarryN
Learn more about Slovakia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia
The taxes in Slovakia are "OPTIMISED" and "LUXURIOUS" though
Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
All sensored motors have an internal temp circuit, it's surprising there isn't something we can piggy back on the harness and read the internal temp already.
There you go Novak, LRP and all you other brushless companies out there!! Extra $$$ for you guys right there!! Now get on it!!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

I have one that is from Trinity. I got it from Josh H. If I am correct they have not been released for purchase. It works great!!!! I would like a couple more.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Mu.
I have one that is from Trinity. I got it from Josh H. If I am correct they have not been released for purchase. It works great!!!! I would like a couple more.
Any pics?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by seaball
might be more repeatable since the measurement point is the same every run. very good idea. can't wait for someone else to make money on it.
CRC used to sell some motor stickers along time ago. I bought one for like $8.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Hmm.... $20 for three...? the cheapest temp gun is about $25.....

Do these stickers give more accurate readings? Otherwise, i'd go for the $25 temp gun... even with S+H,... maybe $40... isn't that better than 6 stickers?

Though the stickers do look cool.....
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I'm pretty sure we have the tech to make it happen too, question is, as always...

When?

the only downside is keeping the weight off the car as much as possible, and keep as many components in within the external hardware source, like ESC programming devices.

So you'd have a heat sensor or probe internal to the motor, soft flexible wire plugged into the nessesary hardware, hardware into PC/Laptop USB port, then fed into a frequent montioring software package, which updates every 2-5 seconds the temperature.

Maybe hella more long winded over a sticker, but some guys are suckers for uber high tech stuff.

I think the software would cost more to develop than the hardware imho, as it would be an add on to the motor if made internal rather than clip on....

The only downside to the heat sensor being built in to the motor is if the sensor goes way west, you may not have any way of replacing it unless the design of including it in the motor has been well thought out....
Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

if you want something digital then just use the Venom Micro temp monitor

weighs only 15g and cost only $15.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUH2&P=SM
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc3team
I'm pretty sure we have the tech to make it happen too, question is, as always...

When?

the only downside is keeping the weight off the car as much as possible, and keep as many components in within the external hardware source, like ESC programming devices.

So you'd have a heat sensor or probe internal to the motor, soft flexible wire plugged into the nessesary hardware, hardware into PC/Laptop USB port, then fed into a frequent montioring software package, which updates every 2-5 seconds the temperature.

Maybe hella more long winded over a sticker, but some guys are suckers for uber high tech stuff.

I think the software would cost more to develop than the hardware imho, as it would be an add on to the motor if made internal rather than clip on....

The only downside to the heat sensor being built in to the motor is if the sensor goes way west, you may not have any way of replacing it unless the design of including it in the motor has been well thought out....
Depending on the type of resistor used maybe an off-the-shelf product could work. If the motor temp probe resistor had properties as the venom guage loop probe then all you would need to do is wire directly to the motor resistor and not use the loop probe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.