R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Wierd motor problems :( (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2768-wierd-motor-problems.html)

Alvin 01-31-2002 09:57 AM

Wierd motor problems :(

Hi all!
I have 2 yokomo 23T JS stockers which I run during my trips to the track (not for racing). Recently strange things happened.

One of the motors, one of the wires on the armature (wind?) came off. While running on the straight.

Few days back another JS can, made wierd clicking noises. When I tore it apart, a *magnet* had losened and was rubbing against the armature. Seems like some sort of glue held it to the can, and the glue had.... stopped gluing...

The first one I was runing at 6.8:1 FDR, the second one I was running @ 6.4:1 FDR, man am I annoyed. I got around this by placing the second armature in the first can. Been running them for nearly 7 months.

Would appreciate comments why this happens, and how I'd be able to avoid it? BTW, both motors runing the stock yokomo laydown brushes. Not high silver stuff.

Thanks.

~Alvin

Potato 01-31-2002 10:43 AM

I've never had this happen to me.. I think the motors you're using were poorly constructed. Maybe it got too hot and the and the adhesive on the magnet weakened. Probably the winding coming off is from the armature being poorly wound. The wires could be too loose around the armature, and when the motor turns faster, the centripetal force pulls the wires outward, and might pull a section of the winding off the armature. If you get a good handwound or machine wound motor, where the wires are tightly on the armature, this doesn't usually happen. I think it's just a lemon, try a new motor, if it's built well enough, these problems should never happen.

imataquito 01-31-2002 06:23 PM

hehe i agree with potato .....
but alvin .... have u change anything lately like ESC or ... batts ??
or esc settings ??
i did a test with 27 turn mabuchi can i placed the batts DIRECTLY to the motor ... and the same thing happened ... winds came lose and magnets came off LOL and i sprained my wrist

:D:D:D:D

Alvin 01-31-2002 11:31 PM

dudes,
thanks for in the input.

Hmm when my first motor KO'd it was with my tekin esc. The magnet loosen'ed motor was with my new esc. Haven't bought new batteries yet :(

imataquito 02-01-2002 12:36 AM

then it must be poor build of the motor ....
or maybe u gea it too gigh and overheat it .........

the most likely source for a loose magnet is cause u overheat it SOOO much that the GLUE lost it effect

and the blown wire is most likely by overheating and poor build,...

ALSO if u make ur own machanical speed control with some low reistance meterial and if u do not put a resistor on it ... ur motor are very prone to all this ... :)

Corse-R 02-01-2002 06:40 AM

Originally posted by imataquito
and the blown wire is most likely by overheating and poor build,...
Hi:

A lifted wire is a clear sign of poor building quality. Sometimes occurs with cheap motors, like mabuchis.