R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2003, 10:28 PM   #31
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeMayberry
The Link below shows all the racers entered at the recent 1:5th worlds and the equipment they used. The Hitec 5735MG was the servo of choice and was in 38 of the 98 racers entered. I was at the event and think they were actually in more than that but some of the racers were sponsored by other companies so they didn't list them.

Now we just need to work on getting the radios in there!

Mike.

http://www.1-5worlds.com/worlds2003/...rsdetails.html
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

I just recently got one am trying it still seems to center fine It's the first servo I've tried that wasn't Futaba! It's a HS-5245MG I'm using it in my 1/12th scale car, seems fast centers good but kinda heavy? I was under the impression that Futaba & Hitec were very similar in design?just my .02
XRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:16 AM   #33
Tech Elite

I got a Hitec 425 - never had a problem. Same goes for my Hitec RX.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:34 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveG
Poor Hitec

I Guess it would take a few big wins by a top name shoe with one of thier servos to quell the slams against it's name
I don't care which big name wins with it...if they were to CONSISTENTLY produce servos that centered well I would purchase them. Till that happens, I will try to keep everyone I can from buying them.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:47 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I don't care which big name wins with it...if they were to CONSISTENTLY produce servos that centered well I would purchase them. Till that happens, I will try to keep everyone I can from buying them.
That's the problem with ongoing rumours - some people had a bad experience and warn all other - regardless of the current quality state.

I only got one Hitec servo and one RX, so I dont know about all the others.

But this thread seems too much of a bashing thread
Old 11-14-2003, 07:01 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Actually, the first message of this thread was another poor soul who had purchased a Hitec servo and had problems with them centering properly. It's not an isolated issue. This is not bashing, so much as educating those before they buy.

As I said before, if Hitec has corrected the problem that I'd be happy to try one again. For that to happen, Hitec is pretty much going to have to give me a servo.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:14 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I had read elsewhere that one of the issues with the servos was getting debris inside the cases causing them to 'glitch' and not centere correctly..similar to getting your receiver case full of dirt...

I'm goign to be giving Hitec servos a try for the first real time...

I've aquired a 625 and a 525MG with an RC10GT in a trade...

I'll give them a try for now..and if they start to act up...I'll pull them.

For every person out there screaming about the evils of Hitec servos I also hear peoiple raving about how well they perform.

Considering that the servos are so much less expensive than the similar offerings from the other manufacturers (until the 3305 Futaba had nothing even CLOSE to a 645) I think all of this needs to be taken into consideration...

A Ferrari will outperform a mustang...but both will get you around the track. The mustang won't have quite the same performance...but it is still more than enough for most people and is a fraction of the price!
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Ask Endler how much he likes Hitecs Chris
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:38 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
If you want a good servo for steering, stick with the Futuba digitals or the Airtronic servo's.
And I have seen the digi's go up in smoke for no reason too! I think it's a matter of what works best for you.
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Default Hitec quality

Guys;

MOST of Hitec's products are of very good quality at reasonable prices.

The issues have been with some the lower end products (like the 600 series servos). This is not just 1 or 2 people complaining, but more like 50% of the people that own them. This tells me that there are some quality issues that Hitec needs to address.

How many complaints do you see from People using other brands?

BTW, I am NOT a Hitec basher. In fact, I own many different Hitec products and for the most part have been satisfied. There have been a few instances where the product(s) did not perform as expected.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-14-2003 at 04:22 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:50 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Even for a lower aned product..the 645 has found a home in MANY monster trucks due to its numbers of 130+ oz-in of torque for $40...

Until the Futaba 3305 I haven't seen anything close to that much grunt for such a low-buck from the other manufacturers.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:52 AM   #42
Tech Elite

In a monster truck you're probably not going to notice the lack of centering as much as you would on a touring car. It's all a matter of usage.

I've had my problems with the following (mainly in touring cars):

None of which centered well.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Ok...but for a touring car, you're looking for high speed, medium torque and high precision...

That doesn't necessarily add up to equal Hitec if you beleive what you hear.

Something else would have been more suitable for your application.

I guess my point is Hitec servos aren't necessarily bad..they just may not be right for all applications?

Even the other manufacturers have people complaining about how they perform...people who use KO servos won't use anythign but and can tell you why everything else is inferior..so can the Futaba guys, JR guys, Airtronics guys, etc...

A lot of people out there wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Hitec and some other company's super servo...so would they really benefit by paying 2-3 times as much for it?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #44
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I was told by a Hitec rep that the centering problems with the 600 series of servos was mostly due to the motor beng a 3 pole motor. The 500 series has a 5 pole motor which is more precise. I own a few 300BB's, many 525mg's, a 645mg, a 9525mg and a two 9645 (I think). The 645 and the 9645's are in monster trucks Savage and 4WS TXT) so I don't think I'd notice if they didn't center. I have had the 9525 in my sedan for about two years and it is perfect. Before that I ran a 525 and it also worked great. The 300's are in some bashing cars I have for my sons and friends to use and they perform as expected. Can't tell if the servo isn't centered on a Wild Willy II if the front wheels are off the ground!!
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Yea really they are inexpensive and if the front wheels are in the air who cares what way they point...I personaly like full lock to the left or right during a wheelie

One thing I have noticed about most of the cars I've owned over the last 15 years is that they all had a dergee or more of slop in the steering system...so if the servo misses center by a degree or so maybe it's not such a big deal. I'm thinking too that since most cars have a few degrees of castor up front they can and will self center in the slop zone
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote