R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #151
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would like to see you make 1 for the Avid V2 please.

Team Associated TC6-Viper R/C Solutions-Sweep Racing-Fullthrottle Motorsports-APH
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
hpisims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #152
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No it's just that u have to go back over it with a blade. I wasn't able to just peel it off.
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #153
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpisims View Post
I would like to see you make 1 for the Avid V2 please.
I will put up for consideration and thank you for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
No it's just that u have to go back over it with a blade. I wasn't able to just peel it off.
Sorry you had an issue with the cut-outs Where did you have the problems at? I do random QC checks on ones I make but if you would like I would be happy to send you a replacement. Let me know!!
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #154
Tech Addict

So they are supposed to "peel" off? The instructions mention needing a blade, but do not directly state re tracing the whole thing, which is what I had to do. It was no prob and a replacement isn't necessary.

Last edited by JKL1031; 05-28-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #155
Tech Addict

I just ran for 5 mins. Can't say I'm impressed at all. Pix when I get in.
where i ran, right out past the dumpster. didnt go over the dark rough hump there http://webmail.aol.com/31793-112/aol...wMail&partId=2

the scratches by the motor prior and under the film, but its starting to peel already.

Last edited by JKL1031; 05-29-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
So they are supposed to "peel" off? The instructions mention needing a blade, but do not directly state re tracing the whole thing, which is what I had to do. It was no prob and a replacement isn't necessary.
Did you try taking the cut outs off as soon as you were finished applying the protector? I applied mine Friday morning and waited till Saturday afternoon before I tried pealing them off. I had to lift the cut out material with a exacto knife tip but once I had a edge big enough to grab it pulled right out. Just had to go slow and be patient and try to pull so that you are following the score mark in the film.

Quote:
I just ran for 5 mins. Can't say I'm impressed at all. Pix when I get in.
How long did you let the adhere to the chassis? The instructions say to allow 2-3 days. After that this stuff should be tough as nails... unless your driving on gravel or something. I had this stuff on a cellphone I used to have and it stayed stuck to it for 7-8 months. Considering all the in and out movement from my pocket plus rubbing with all the junk that was in my pockets, I have high hopes for this stuff.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #157
Tech Addict

Well i actually removed screw holes are in use before i pulled it off, and i had to retrace those holes to remove the circles in order to remove them without stretching the film. i also had to retrace the outline of the chassis from the entire rectangle to get it off. I applied thursday and ran saturday. Ill give the next one the full three days. This material gets harder by the time?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #158
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

JKL, your link doesnt work but sounds like you are running on a parking lot or something other than a prepared track. If so, loose pebbles and rocks and stuff can do create a lot of scratches in a short amount of time. Your car looks pretty beat up. To me it seems like the protector is mostly doing what it is supposed to do. Get scratched up so your chassis doesn't.

That said, the screw holes are a pain. I agree with that.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #159
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does the material get harder? I wouldn't claim that. It does stick better the longer you let it sit before use. And I know that's hard. None of us really want to let our toys sit unused lol. So far it looks like the film is doing its job. I would assume that the front edge where it is lifting would hold up a little better under two conditions.... maybe three.

1- let it cure longer

2- if you have access to a leaf blower, clear the parking lot of stones.

3- if you think your getting to much scuffing after you cleared the parking lot of stones... Raise the ride height some.

This stuff isn't indestructible. Stones will tear it up. In my mind it is more of a scuff protector for when you car bottoms out on occasion. Not a stone proof shield. The harder you are on it, the quicker it will wear out and need to be replaced. This may not work as well as you were hoping but I can say that I don't think a similar product from another source would work any better.

Oh and to get the film off the paper backing with out having to cut it, pick an edge, make a clean straight cut from there to the outside edge of the film sheet. Then you should be able to start pealing from that clean cut to the edge of the outer chassis score in the film. Slowly pull along the score line in the film and you should have no problems removing the excess material along the chassis protector. Atleast, that's how I did it and I had no stretching. Here is how clean it came out for me. You can barely even tell it is on there.

Last edited by Hooligan_; 05-30-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Hooligan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #160
Tech Addict

The lot was pretty flat actually, it would qualify to be prepared for a track. The pelling is actually at the rear. After cleaning it, the protector is doing it's job. It seems that I caught one big scrape back there, the rest is fine. The peeling is what really concerned me.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #161
Tech Regular

Quote:
The lot was pretty flat actually, it would qualify to be prepared for a track. The pelling is actually at the rear. After cleaning it, the protector is doing it's job. It seems that I caught one big scrape back there, the rest is fine. The peeling is what really concerned me.
You received order on the 27th but what day did you apply the protector before you ran the car yesterday? It really is important for the film to cure for a full 2-3 days, preferable in a window for sunlight, before running the car. This lets the adhesive set up and lets remaining small air bubbles evaporate. I'm sorry you had issues with removing & having to retrace the cut-outs so my offer to send you a replacement still stands if you want.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #162
Tech Addict

sure ill take it so i can get this one off. i applied it thursday that same day. I take responsibility for whatever ripped the rear and try to avoid that from happening again.

this is actually what it looks like after triming the peel and wiping the scuff away. maybe i over reacted.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #163
Tech Regular

NP man, I'm here to help. Thanks Hooligan for your advice & help as well. I will send you a replacement out on Tuesday since PO is closed tomorrow. Any further questions let me know
Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #164
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya EVO IV?

Hi there,

I saw a request for a Tamiya EVO IV. did one ever get made? If so, I would like to get one. I just ordered one for my TC5. thanks!
chinoloco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #165
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoloco93 View Post
Hi there,

I saw a request for a Tamiya EVO IV. did one ever get made? If so, I would like to get one. I just ordered one for my TC5. thanks!
Sent you an e-mail. I have been behind on releasing some new chassis applications but hope to have the Mi4LP, Cyclone TC and TRF415MS Marc Reinhard edition available this week