R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #16
Tech Addict

if possible try to hold all 3 controls on hand to get a good feeling about each, function wise they all have more than enough

also the way you hold the tx will change the way you feel about it, so 3PK maybe top heavy for someone but perfect for others
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 AM   #17
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Fire is correct....
Try to hold each radio before you buy it....

That is one of the most important "FEATURES"
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'll throw my 2cents worth in because I love an underdog. If you haven't tried a Multiplex Profi ......try it !!! Extremely light, great functions, very reasonable price and fits great in any hand.
The downside.....the radio has no synth module available........yet!! Multiplex is now owned by Hitec and I imagine a module might become available. They do have a synth receiver available. Radio can be switched from fm to am without a module change.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #19
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

I'm out to retire my 11 year old KO ex-II and came across this post. Lots of good information and learning to do about all these new features of radios that I have never seen before!!

I just have 2 questions......call me a noob but ive only ever used the ex-II

What is synth?
What is the 3rd channel for on the KO and futaba recievers that come with the 3pk and Helios?
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
I'll throw my 2cents worth in because I love an underdog. If you haven't tried a Multiplex Profi ......try it !!! Extremely light, great functions, very reasonable price and fits great in any hand.
The downside.....the radio has no synth module available........yet!! Multiplex is now owned by Hitec and I imagine a module might become available. They do have a synth receiver available. Radio can be switched from fm to am without a module change.
Where in american can you find a muliplex profi. I looked all over the net with no luck.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Helios is expensive in the sense that I must replace ALL the receivers and servos as well (at least to take advantage of HSR, one of the major feature and selling point of this radio)...
If you wanna go High speed response with the Futaba you have to do the same thing. And to all those who don't think they could tell a difference, I went from a Mars to a Mars "R" and with the same digital servo the difference was VERY APPARENT, both my 12th scale car's and my Touring Car's responses were noticeably quicker with the new radio, especially off-center. It was a definitive improvement.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:37 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Synth is synthesized module (tx an rx). Instead of using crystals to modulate frequency, it is done electronically thus giving you access to every available channel in the frequency and elimates the need for different sets of crystals.

As for channel 3, I am not sure but I think it is only useful in special cases such as a nitro monster truck with mechanical gear shift? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #23

Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, and JR bought most the ideas from KO PROPO so why not try the Helios?
Suradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:54 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Suradaj
Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, and JR bought most the ideas from KO PROPO so why not try the Helios?
i think thats not the deciding factor now...since everything mostly have all the feature of one to another...the only ting he has to worry now is how comfortable the radio would be and the feel on both steering and throttle...i'm pretty sure they are all smooth but one or two should have a different feel over another...anyways good luck with the radio shopping
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

i agree, go to a hobby shop and go play around with the radios they have there...hold everyone of them and feel which one feels best, go play around with the functions. see which one are the easiest to go around...
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #26
Tech Master

Was looking through the Horizon catalog the other day and saw a price for a Novak synth for the Futaba 3PK but it isn't available yet.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Seeing that Futaba Japan and Novak both coming out with synth module for the 3PK, I wonder if one would be made for the Helios soon too? If so, I think I will get a Helios...
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:25 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

M 8

definitely improved my driving. (whether its in my head, dont know), but i'll swear by the M8 any day.

no pro's no con's, just pure faith in the product. that's my $.02
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:08 AM   #29
Tech Master

Well, the Futaba 3pk can use the Hitec spectra module. I don't own one, but I think 3 (for sure 2) guys at my track use this in order to get all thirty channels. It doesn't slip in smoothely like the stock module, but it fits better in the 3pk than it does in the Hitec Lynx 3D which it was made for originally.

I know futaba reps won't tell you to do this, and same with the Hitec reps, but its the truth... it works.

Personally, I want the Helios because I don't like how the M8 or the 3PK feel much.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:15 AM   #30
Tech Master

i use a hi-tech sevo for steering with my futaba 3pk.
its seems fine.
the profi is very nice but theres just something about it that says no.iam not sure what it is.prob just the name.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote