Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #1036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
I guess this is a complicated question then...lol

I was trying to show that only two racers that did well used the same speedo in 12th mod/13.5

MOD

Everyone else either had a second car with different speedo or changed speedo between rounds

I am surprised this question is not asked more

To me my question is simple

Was there a speedo that was successfully used in both classes

As far as I have proof only the LRP/Nosram guys used the same speedo

All 13.5 Tekin guys used LRP in mod hence no one really ran the Tekin in mod

And my question was what LRP/Nosram speedo did those two guys run in both mod/13.5 classes? Either TCv2 or Spec/stock?

Ya see there is all this monkey see/monkey do and I simply wanted to use just one car with one speedo and avoid any extra monies spent on extra speedo's for extra cars so to sum up...lol

There we're no Tekin's in mod A-main hence the racers chose to use LRP in mod and I wanted to know why if the Tekin "could" also work in mod...lol

Thank you for your tolerance and help
I guarantee everyone that ran mod and 13.5 had 2 different cars. No doubt.

There is also no doubt in my mind that the 2 that ran the lrp type speedos ran stock specs in both classes.

I know most guys that were running the lrp stuff in mod were running some mild boost in their mod motors.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #1037
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
And all of us are also lacking the knowledge about what firmware such sponsored drivers may be using in their speedos.
I'm here to learn

Thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I guarantee everyone that ran mod and 13.5 had 2 different cars. No doubt.

There is also no doubt in my mind that the 2 that ran the lrp type speedos ran stock specs in both classes.

I know most guys that were running the lrp stuff in mod were running some mild boost in their mod motors.
Two cars ok

Thanks about the stock/spec answer I guess the LRP guys you spoke of didn't use receiver pack or booster?

I am curious their settings for 13.5/mod (0-1-1-2) ?????????????

Thanks for taking the time to answer Larry

Good luck racing
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #1038
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OK....I finally finished my build and want to know just exactly how to wire a RS for 1/12th scale. I'm sure there's a million post but why can't you find it on Tekins sight? Maybe you can. I'm just tired of reading about boosters and LiFe batteries. I've got a LiFe battery and was wondering if I could just plug it in the receiver? Or do I need to add a switch? Anyone with a diagram of what I should would be helpful.
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #1039
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
OK....I finally finished my build and want to know just exactly how to wire a RS for 1/12th scale. I'm sure there's a million post but why can't you find it on Tekins sight? Maybe you can. I'm just tired of reading about boosters and LiFe batteries. I've got a LiFe battery and was wondering if I could just plug it in the receiver? Or do I need to add a switch? Anyone with a diagram of what I should would be helpful.
All but one of the LiFe receiver packs I have purchased had an on/off switch built in. Which LiFe pack do you have?

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #1040
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bill, I have the standard 6.6V Rx Battery.....I'd like to wire it up like a nitro rx pack and get the swith that has a charge lead but I don't have to. I used to live in Manteca and I think I bought some stuff from you years ago. Glad to see Norcal the place to race. Eric and Kevin have done well. Sad to see places like Ripon and Speedworld struggle. email me and I'll send you a picture of my car. Thanks for the help [email protected]
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #1041
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

i did my rx wiring when i ran pans like this
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS/RS PRO on 1s Lipo Q&A-rs%25201s%25202s%2520wiring.jpg  
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #1042
Tech Fanatic

Has there been a concern with using a voltage booster with the RS 1s for 13.5? I was advised the boosted timing/turbo settings will damage the "N" brand smart boost. If there has been...is there a fix?
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #1043
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
Has there been a concern with using a voltage booster with the RS 1s for 13.5? I was advised the boosted timing/turbo settings will damage the "N" brand smart boost. If there has been...is there a fix?
Are you talking the old, large, SmartBoost or their newer, smaller booster(which is essentially their old transponder booster repackaged)?

I ran two different cars 13.5 boosted last year (12th and WGT) with the older and larger Novak SmartBoost, no problems at all. Changed over to the TQ style of booster, because of some better reliability and to use the 1S cut off with the Tekin instead of the (higher) Novak cut off.

I really don't think that there's some mystical way of boost hurting a Novak booster. If that were so, it would hurt ANY kind of booster, and that's just not happening. The power through the booster only provides power to the servo, transponder (if installed) and the Tekin's brain board.

Heck, most people have run their TQ style booster for years, no issues.

If you want a great booster, the one from Stormer is a good start (needs some simple 5 minute rewiring work to be as reliable as a TQ booster, PM me) and it's the same one from HobbyKing.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox

Last edited by Buckaroo; 10-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #1044
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

buy one buy TQ and be done with it
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #1045
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
i did my rx wiring when i ran pans like this
+1

I've run this set up for over a year. It works great.

1/12th scale, just 1/12th scale.
I love to go like hell for 8 minutes.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #1046
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Are you talking the old, large, SmartBoost or their newer, smaller booster(which is essentially their old transponder booster repackaged)?

I ran two different cars 13.5 boosted last year (12th and WGT) with the older and larger Novak SmartBoost, no problems at all. Changed over to the TQ style of booster, because of some better reliability and to use the 1S cut off with the Tekin instead of the (higher) Novak cut off.

I really don't think that there's some mystical way of boost hurting a Novak booster. If that were so, it would hurt ANY kind of booster, and that's just not happening. The power through the booster only provides power to the servo, transponder (if installed) and the Tekin's brain board.

Heck, most people have run their TQ style booster for years, no issues.

If you want a great booster, the one from Stormer is a good start (needs some simple 5 minute rewiring work to be as reliable as a TQ booster, PM me) and it's the same one from HobbyKing.
Its an older style judging from the size. If mine dies, I will look at the one from Stormer....thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #1047
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Its an older style judging from the size. If mine dies, I will look at the one from Stormer....thanks for the info.
It's not about the booster being damaged, it's about its tendency to "brown out" under heavy current load. I think someone posted how to overcome this problem somewhere else in the thread.......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #1048
Tech Regular

I have always ran the booster (TQ booster) and have always had good success with it.
Jason
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #1049
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
It's not about the booster being damaged, it's about its tendency to "brown out" under heavy current load. I think someone posted how to overcome this problem somewhere else in the thread.......
I was thinking "Brown out " was to melt down and quit working. The thread is fairly large...I will try searching it with that term.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #1050
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Quote:
I was thinking "Brown out " was to melt down and quit working. The thread is fairly large...I will try searching it with that term.
I thought that the correct term is "Code Brown"? That's sort of a "melt down", right?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote