R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #721
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation What Brave Soul will try it first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconceivable View Post
As mentioned many times on this thread, I too am having the issue with the RS, V203, 1S, 13.5, Novak Booster "browning" out. I just got off the phone with Novak and they say to try removing the red wire from the ESC harness ...... has anyone tried this with success ? Using a RX pack fixes the issue, but I'd really like to not have to do this. Thanks.
Isn't "Technology" wonderfull? This Issue in particular has bothered me since the 1s power invaision first started. I think the issue goes deeper than the Red wire on the throttle connecter, If you are using Spektrum. If the voltage drop occurs from the demands imposed on the battery by the ESC, I'd think that the Spektrum Rx would still need that required time to Reset itself. I agree that it would be nice to use the Smart Boost, I however, will wait till others report back that "the Coast is Clear".

"Every Cemetery in Chicago Votes Democrat!"
el salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #722
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To have all of the available power in the 1S lipo going to the motor, I got rid of the booster board solution in favor of a Epic/Trinity Li-Fe 220mah pack. Works great for at least three runs...have not tried four.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #723
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
To have all of the available power in the 1S lipo going to the motor, I got rid of the booster board solution in favor of a Epic/Trinity Li-Fe 220mah pack. Works great for at least three runs...have not tried four.

Bill
Bill,
+1, but im not getting 3 runs..What servo do you use and how long are your races?
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #724
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Hi all

Quick question on installation of the RS with a 1S Lipo for 12th scale.

I am running a 2S 250mAh RX pack with 6V Regulator for the RX and Servo. The Regulator has an On/Off switch.

What is the correct installation for this setup?

Do we leave the ESC Switch Off and only use the RX switch?
Do we need to pull the Power lead from ESC to RX?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #725
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat99 View Post
Hi all

Quick question on installation of the RS with a 1S Lipo for 12th scale.

I am running a 2S 250mAh RX pack with 6V Regulator for the RX and Servo. The Regulator has an On/Off switch.

What is the correct installation for this setup?

Do we leave the ESC Switch Off and only use the RX switch?
Do we need to pull the Power lead from ESC to RX?

Thanks
You do not need to pull the power lead with Tekins. Some others you do.

With the esc switch off, you will have no low voltage cutoff. Otherwise there is no difference switch on or off.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #726
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast View Post
Bill,
+1, but im not getting 3 runs..What servo do you use and how long are your races?
Same here,, I only get two runs at most since our quals are eight minutes.

Normally I recharge between rounds and put in about 90mah each time. I use a Futaba 9650 and a Spektrum SR3500 micro RX.

When I used the Smart Boost before I went LiFe, I never had any "brown" out problems but that's not to say that others had any. I'm a Spektrum user and never had the RX do a reset using the Boost. Howerver, the Smart Boost's LVC cuts the power to the RX not the motor so if you are near the 3v mark and pull the throttle it is very possible to "brown" out and if you have a Spektrum RX it may go into reset or not.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #727
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

The brown out issue is not limited to spektrum receivers either. it's equally annoying on an RS310 FM setup. Pulling the red wire so you can turn the RS/RS Pro speedo on does nothing to help. Is it possibly specific to 6V receivers?

On short, tight tracks the brownouts are far less frequent than on open flowing tracks. Adding 10 to push control does help, down to one brownout for the entire race day, but not eliminated completely and its at the cost of having no drag brake.

Will a 150 mah receiver pack ( 4.8 V pack from a Losi micro-T) be enough to get through a single race? If it really takes only 90 mah that's a much cheaper alternative than a 'Smart' Boost.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #728
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
The brown out issue is not limited to spektrum receivers either. it's equally annoying on an RS310 FM setup. Pulling the red wire so you can turn the RS/RS Pro speedo on does nothing to help. Is it possibly specific to 6V receivers?

On short, tight tracks the brownouts are far less frequent than on open flowing tracks. Adding 10 to push control does help, down to one brownout for the entire race day, but not eliminated completely and its at the cost of having no drag brake.

Will a 150 mah receiver pack ( 4.8 V pack from a Losi micro-T) be enough to get through a single race? If it really takes only 90 mah that's a much cheaper alternative than a 'Smart' Boost.
What's drag brake?

One of my fellow racers uses the very same pack you mentioned and he is fine with a recharge between each round. Though one time he thought it was charged and got about fifteen laps in before having no steering.

It will slow your steering a little but he is also one of our top qualifiers so maybe a little slower steering is a good thing.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #729
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post

This is the battery I have been using in my Gen X 10 w/V203 program. I charge the pack beforre each run w/o fail and had no problems, (we do 6 min runs). After the pack comes off the charger, display reads 6,48 Volts. And I leave the RS switch off, and after about 3 race meets and 2 long practice days, so far, have had ZERO problems.

"Every Cemetery in Chicago Votes Democrat!"
el salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #730
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

We are seeing zero issues with the HK boosters.. some of the novaks also will pause after a hard hit.. the brown out is not lipo cut off but the tekin rebooting... you may run drag brake and all the boost the motor can handle with the HK boosters and the Novak booster but you must keep the red wire to the rs if you use a booster or it will not have enough voltage to ooperate..

we have also had great luck with two 2/3rd A batteries in series feeding the system just like a booster.. that is really cheap and will last all day on one charge.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #731
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

If we're rebooting it's because we've lost the proper power going to the micro. This is where the either the booster or the rx pack isn't supplying enough power to keep us "on." We can operate at a lower voltage than most receivers so chances are we're just doing what we're told. If we lose signal we'll show it with all led's flashing.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #732
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Reciever pack

Ok Boys enough of the nonsense. Here's what you need:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9028

I bought 5 of them, and they work great. I use them in my 12th scale and 10th scale pan cars. I used a sharpie and numbered them from 1 to 5. They're small enough to where I have them 'velcroed' in. After each run, I pull one out and throw a fresh one in, cycling through all five batteries. Ive cycled these through a few times now, and they seem to work fine. They're cheap enough where you can buy a dozen if necessary. And yes you will need a regulator. If you do order from these guys, give yourself a couple of weeks to get your goods.

-Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #733
Tech Master

Just confirming, can you run the RS WITH the red wire plugged into the radio receiver while running a 2cell receiver pack? I was told you had to pull the red wire, that the RS wasn't rated for the 8.4volts?

Please confirm, as it would make my setup much simpler if this is the case!

Thanks in advance,

Josh
IronRing Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #734
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
Ok Boys enough of the nonsense. Here's what you need:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9028

I bought 5 of them, and they work great. I use them in my 12th scale and 10th scale pan cars. I used a sharpie and numbered them from 1 to 5. They're small enough to where I have them 'velcroed' in. After each run, I pull one out and throw a fresh one in, cycling through all five batteries. Ive cycled these through a few times now, and they seem to work fine. They're cheap enough where you can buy a dozen if necessary. And yes you will need a regulator. If you do order from these guys, give yourself a couple of weeks to get your goods.

-Steve
Shame they're soft packs and not hard packs.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #735
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRing Racing View Post
Just confirming, can you run the RS WITH the red wire plugged into the radio receiver while running a 2cell receiver pack? I was told you had to pull the red wire, that the RS wasn't rated for the 8.4volts? Then running a 2s would burn them up 8.44 volts. I've run 2s and never had a problem. From the Tekin site: Input Voltage: 4-9 Cells, 3S Lipo

Please confirm, as it would make my setup much simpler if this is the case!

Thanks in advance,

Josh
I run SMC reciever packs in my oval cars.

I have NOT disconnected any wires.

Turning the car on: reciever pack then Tekin.

Turning car off: Tekin then reciever pack.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote