R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #706
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
...Check this out. I'm having the same problem too, and here's the problem/response posted on the Tekin Forum:

"Ive been running the RS for only a couple of meeting as have been unable to eliminate the following problem.

I'm running a RSpro with a 13.5 gm Dr speed in my Tc3 and I find that after about a minuet I start loosing top end and eventually the car is running at the same speed as it would if it had just its stock timing. (not sure if the gm has any timing already applied as you can't adjust it). Motor temp is if anything quite cool as I can easily hold the motor after a 5min race, neither ESC or lipo are hot. ESC settings are as follows:

Thanks,
Tom."

.....And the response:

"set your end point to 90 recalibrate then change epa to 100,or if you can add to the epa just do that.the radio is wandering and this will fix it

....I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and used this to fix it.

-Steve
This will be easy to verify. When the issue happens, look at the lights on the ESC. If they are all illuminated at full throttle (or all blinking), then the ESC is seeing full throttle. If the car still isn't going full speed, then it isn't the radio drifting. If all of the lights aren't on/blinking at full throttle, turn the EPA up above 100% (like 110, or 120) and see if they do light up/blink. If they do, then your radio is drifting, and you should have full speed.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #707
Tech Apprentice

hi guys got a small problem i got the tekin rs installed and i put in a small reciver pack losi 7.4 180mah with a regulater i ran today and all i could get is 6 mins before it would shut down is it TOO small ???
Mechanic-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #708
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic-man View Post
hi guys got a small problem i got the tekin rs installed and i put in a small reciver pack losi 7.4 180mah with a regulater i ran today and all i could get is 6 mins before it would shut down is it TOO small ???
I use a Trinity LI-FE receiver pack that is 220mah. It gets three 6-minute runs in on a charge; so, your 180mah pack should be good for no less than two runs. A LI-FE pack is lower voltage and does not require a separate regulator.

At what voltage cutoff do you have your RS set?

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #709
Tech Apprentice

i have it set at 3 volts
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #710
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Is the pack new?

A friend uses the exact same pack. One has worked fine, the other had the same problem for the first few runs but seems ok now. It might just need a few cycles to start working at full potential.

I only use 70-80 mah per 8 minute run so it should do the job. I use a 330mah pack though.

If all else fails, ditch the regulator and try it straight.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #711
Tech Addict

im sure this was discused before but here is ther problem i am having. i bought a losi regulator and a thunderpower 2s 350mah lipo. v203 with a novak 13.5ss. i can pul the trigger and throtal works fine. then i pull triger and turn sterring and get all sorts of gogging and stuttering. the 1s box is checked and when i went back to a 2s setting and put my 2s back in the car without reciever pack it works fine. so im kinda lost here. any help would be appreciated. i will try to answer any other information you might need. thank you again

TLR - Team Spektrum - Horizon Hobbies - Team Orion - MIP - Team Gravity RC - Motive RC - F3A Unlimited - Gator RC - Trackside Hobbies&Raceway - HobbyTown USA Lake In THe Hills & TimeWarp Raceway - Windy City RC
matt d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #712
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Is the pack new?

A friend uses the exact same pack. One has worked fine, the other had the same problem for the first few runs but seems ok now. It might just need a few cycles to start working at full potential.

I only use 70-80 mah per 8 minute run so it should do the job. I use a 330mah pack though.

If all else fails, ditch the regulator and try it straight.
yes its new.the other thing is im chargering at 0.8 amps it SeemS to be chagering properly but it at the end instead of it stopping and saysing full it says open stop the last time i chargered it it took 100mah
Is there a way you turn it on the reason i ask is cause when i plug in the reciever pack the tekin comes on even if the switch is off
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #713
Tech Champion

Quote:
i have it set at 3 volts
I assume that you have a 1/12th scale or WGT race car. Regardless, the below should be applicable to anything with a single cell lipo.

Even though the end voltage does not indicate it, you are likely hitting the 3Volt level during your run. Set you Voltage Cutoff to NONE. That will cure the problem. But, don't ever run your car for excessive time beyond a normal run.

And only use the on/off switch on your servo pack to turn the car on. Never use the ESC's on/off switch...Tape it in the off position and stow it (Mine is actually cut off on my WGT to eliminate the potential of it being turned on).

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 01-31-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #714
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting because I'm using 203 and the LiFe pack and have run both switches on (ESC and RX pack), finished an 8 minute main turned off the switches. The RX pack took 80mah and the main battery took 2100mah. I also had the fastest A Main with the car using the 203 software and no turbo boost.

No problems using the ESC switch on or off, at least if it's on you have the LVC but in an 8 minute main it's superfluous.

BTW, the ESC's LVC has nothing to do with the RX pack, they're mutually exclusive.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #715
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

not using the ESC's switch is something of the past. You can now use it. I forget what software version added 1s support, but as of that version it is recommend to run it on.

Turning it off only disables the ESC's LVC. So if you don't want to use the ESC LVC, then cutting the switch off is fine. If you want the LVC to work, you must have the ESCs switch on.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #716
Tech Champion

Guys...With single cell in mind, please advise Mechanic Man what setting you are each using for Voltage Cutoff (of main lipo pack). Believing your VC is likely set to NONE, he can make up his own mind if he wants to also use the RS's on/off switch to do virtually nothing.

Note: I have not looked into a Custom Settings for VC; so, that could be the ticket.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #717
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default V203 and 10.5

Hi all..
Has any one yet found a start setting for a 10.5 on V203 yet?
Running Vegas with a 67mm rollout..seems ok...
Using a Novak booster..seems to give no problems..I do leave the esc switch OFF..
Mike
Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #718
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecatts View Post
Hi all..
Has any one yet found a start setting for a 10.5 on V203 yet?
Running Vegas with a 67mm rollout..seems ok...
Using a Novak booster..seems to give no problems..I do leave the esc switch OFF..
Mike
Yes, let me see if I can remember them all.
Tekin 10.5, 0 timing.
64mm rollout, though I might need to drop a tooth or two more.
50 boost
5 turbo ramp 2
.8 delay (trying to keep turbo off until I get out of the sweeper leading on to the straight)
I think rpm points were somewhere in the 3k to 10k range. I want to try raising the start point a bit.

And, I leave the switch on with a 3.1 LVC and have not had it cut off despite taking 4500 mah out of a 4900 mah pack. I use a Rx pack.

Last edited by wingracer; 01-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #719
Tech Fanatic

Try this for 10.5 - works very well for us here. Track 90' x 40', lap times around 13s.

Motor Timing 10 deg (Tekin Redline 10.5)
Timing Boost - 50.
Start 2750 rpm, end 10000 rpm.
Turbo Boost - none
Ratio 58mm/rev.
Throttle Profile 3
Drag brake 5

This gives a lot of throttle feel, plenty of rip out of corners, and enough speed to trouble an ordinary 4S car. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #720
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As mentioned many times on this thread, I too am having the issue with the RS, V203, 1S, 13.5, Novak Booster "browning" out. I just got off the phone with Novak and they say to try removing the red wire from the ESC harness ...... has anyone tried this with success ? Using a RX pack fixes the issue, but I'd really like to not have to do this. Thanks.