R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #601
oze
Tech Adept

Just installed my RS Pro with Novak booster, 1S and a 10,5T motor. I got 200Vegas on the ESC.
What switch should be on or off and shall I check the 1S box?
oze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #602
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oze View Post
Just installed my RS Pro with Novak booster, 1S and a 10,5T motor. I got 200Vegas on the ESC.
What switch should be on or off and shall I check the 1S box?
Yes, check the 1S box.

Running a Novak booster this is not strictly necessary as it has its own cutoff but the normal procedure to enable the cutoff in the RS is as follows.

Turning on: Turn on booster, then turn on RS

Turning off: Turn off RS, then turn off booster.

If you do not turn on the RS it will still work, but will not enable the cutoff on the RS. As you are running a Novak booster you have the choice. Other boosters do not have a voltage cutoff so the above procedure is the recommended one.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #603
oze
Tech Adept

Thanks Trev for the detailed answer.
oze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #604
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Thistle

Very helpful info here. I might be closer to solving the issues with my RS Pro 1S lipo set-up. Which is posted here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/6777988-post9114.html
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #605
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
Very helpful info here. I might be closer to solving the issues with my RS Pro 1S lipo set-up. Which is posted here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/6777988-post9114.html
you throttle dead band is set at 56 and should be like 5, thats one major issue.

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #606
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So, should you always keep the neutral width low? Thanks
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #607
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
you throttle dead band is set at 56 and should be like 5, thats one major issue.
It sounds like your wiring the receiver pack incorrectly?? Pos & Neg from your recevier battery need to go to the pos & neg on the receiver's battery port. If you're using a single AAA battery that's a problem as well. AAA's put 1.5v which isn't enough for the speedo.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #608
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
So, should you always keep the neutral width low? Thanks
yes, the manual says that value should be around 6-10. right now, 56% of your trigger travel is locked up in the neutral dead band. and you need a reciever pack, one aa wont do it. put 4 of those together and you got one, just not rechargable. better to get a 250mah LiFe pack for that, you will need to have charger that has the A123 setting to charge one though.

Josh Evans
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #609
Tech Regular

Actually, the AAA is wired to the lipo, so the receiver pack I was trying was 4.9 volts. (3.7 lipo + 1.2 AAA)
I tried a dedicated receiver pack, and the ESC responded perfectly, so I now have 2 AAA's wired in. (6.1 volts)
I will be trying it on the track tonight, and I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #610
Tech Regular

hey thistle, that is not how it should be wired and i would NOT do it like that if i were u. it may work but only for a short time. the 4 cell reciever pack should be wired to the positive and negative on the reciever itself. what u have done is doing nothing at all. if you have 4 aaa's wired in series you are making 6 volts and by attaching the leads to the lipo battery side of the speedo, you are just fooling the speedo into turning on because it sees that 6v. what will happen is the speedo is going to pull the voltage from the reciever pack instead of the lipo to run the motor, those aaa will be dead in nothing flat. when you wire it in through the reciever, the reciver pack is only powering the reciver and servo which is a very small ampdraw. YOU WILL HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS DOING IT THE WAY YOU ARE GOING AFTER It. this RS speedo is not exactly cheap to relpace due to bad install....but do what you want and furthermore, adding those aaa in parallel to the lipo does not boost the voltage to 6.1. to get the voltage to add on, the batteries have to be in series config. if i read your post right, what your doing could actually damage the lipo and pop the aaa's.

Josh Evans
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #611
Tech Adept

I think he is playing on a joke on us. There is know way someone would really do that stuff.
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #612
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
I think he is playing on a joke on us. There is know way someone would really do that stuff.
Er... Father's who pretend their son has been carried away by a hot air balloon, mothers injecting themselves with botulinium toxin (most deadly toxin known to man!) and teenagers doing whatever it takes to get on reality TV shows... Sure, someone could do something like this!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #613
Tech Regular

Actually, Yes... I have done it... and yes, I did notice that my aaa's went dead part way through the run.
The wiring, was taught to me by a team driver for CRC, so it does work, but the one thing that I wasn't sure about was the red wire in the ESC plug. (Rx plug) I have left it in, because when I took it out, I had no power at all at the ESC. Perhaps with all of the testing I've been doing with hotwire settings, I should try taking the wire out again.

I'll keep you all informed on my progress.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #614
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
Actually, Yes... I have done it... and yes, I did notice that my aaa's went dead part way through the run.
The wiring, was taught to me by a team driver for CRC, so it does work, but the one thing that I wasn't sure about was the red wire in the ESC plug. (Rx plug) I have left it in, because when I took it out, I had no power at all at the ESC. Perhaps with all of the testing I've been doing with hotwire settings, I should try taking the wire out again.

I'll keep you all informed on my progress.
i think it was Trips or Crashby that described a similiar setup last year in the 1/12 thread.

however, as i suggested in the other thread, it would be easier and less frustrating to get things sorted out with a normal receiver pack and both the battery and esc switched on. (the excessive neutral width may not be the only problem)

once you have a feel for how it should be working, then try the 1cell booster scheme. note that Tekin only reccomends a receiver pack or booster, there may be a good reason or they may just be trying to keep their suggestions straightforward.

Last edited by avs; 01-01-2010 at 09:04 AM.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #615
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im looking for a starting point for 1/12 scale 17.5 on a track with a 90 foot straight.

Any help is appreciated.
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote