R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #586
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got one made by Reedy at my LHS. It was ~$20 and the footprint is no bigger than the servo in my 12th scale.

Here is a link to what I am using. Out of stock but same part.

Regards,
Carter

Last edited by darcydawg; 12-10-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added link
darcydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #587
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
i have been thininking the same thing, why could you not put a resister in line to drop the voltage to a managable 6v. we have some electrician guys in here. why wouldnt it work. for the record, a spectrum reciever will take the 7.4v just fine, it is the servo that doesnt always play nice.
In the old days we used diodes. Problem is they aren't really regulated. I would rig in a simple 5v regulator from RadioTrash if I needed a controlled output.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #588
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi all- I run a 2s thunderpower 250mah rec.pack in my db12rr.I was about to ask if anyone tried a couple of vlt dropping diodes wired into the switch harness of a 2s receiver pack.Seems to be (to me at least)the simple and cheap way of bringing the vlts. back in line to make my servo happy.I have a hi-speed servo and at 8v its really really quick,and really sensitive.I want to slow it some to match my old reflexes.why not do it?Any input is appreciated.

I have another gen xl with a novak smartboost in it-all else is same elec.it is a lot smoother with the reduced voltage.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #589
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

The one thing to keep in mind when using the diodes in series is that each one drops 0.7V roughly. So 3 diodes drops 2.1V and using a 2s 7.4 pack you have an output of 6.3V down to 5.3V. Make sure you have at least 1A diodes in series. I just built a LM317 with 2 SMD resistors and have a regulated output of x V at 1.5A.

The resistors in series can be more tricky since you have voltage drops associated with each resistor based on current flow. Another thought you might try is a 5V or 6V Zener diode across the RX pack output.
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #590
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i tried to run one of the hobbywing voltage boosters last nite with my rs and it didnt like it all. speedo would not power up, no chimes or anything. hooked up the reciever pack and all was well. booster might not have been good. it was new though. tried all the adjustments via hotwire to make it work. no workie.

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #591
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
i tried to run one of the hobbywing voltage boosters last nite with my rs and it didnt like it all. speedo would not power up, no chimes or anything. hooked up the reciever pack and all was well. booster might not have been good. it was new though. tried all the adjustments via hotwire to make it work. no workie.
I run Novak Smatboost and don't have any problems in any of my cars. (3)

I have a brand new TQ I was going to run but heard to many problems and never installed it. Going to put it up for sale.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just run KO, it will take 2s no prob. so no need for a regulator

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #593
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
just run KO, it will take 2s no prob. so no need for a regulator
+1

Spektrum 3500 and KO 951.......like butter.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #594
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
+1

Spektrum 3500 and KO 951.......like butter.
also even though futaba will tell you otherwise alot of us are running futaba fasst recievers with no regulator and have no problems
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #595
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I need some help with gearing and ESC settings for a single cell Redline 13.5 in a 1/12 scale. I run on a track that is about 60x40 with a sweeper at the end of the straight. I've tired all kind of settings from 0 motor timing to 12* motor with high, med and low speedo timing with and without turbo. The car just feels flat coming out of the corners and has not straigt away speed.

The last time I ran the car, I was rolled out at 2.60, had 12* motor timing, ~15* ESC, full turbo with .6 delay. The motor came off at 140* and it got real flat at the end of the run.

Before that I was rolled out at 2.60, had 0* motor timing, 20 esc timing, 10 turbo with .7 delay. The motor was ~ 120* after that run. The car was consistant the whole run, it was just slow, If I gear up from here the motor gets hot and falls off at the end of the run and is not any faster at the begining.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #596
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
I need some help with gearing and ESC settings for a single cell Redline 13.5 in a 1/12 scale. I run on a track that is about 60x40 with a sweeper at the end of the straight. I've tired all kind of settings from 0 motor timing to 12* motor with high, med and low speedo timing with and without turbo. The car just feels flat coming out of the corners and has not straigt away speed.

The last time I ran the car, I was rolled out at 2.60, had 12* motor timing, ~15* ESC, full turbo with .6 delay. The motor came off at 140* and it got real flat at the end of the run.

Before that I was rolled out at 2.60, had 0* motor timing, 20 esc timing, 10 turbo with .7 delay. The motor was ~ 120* after that run. The car was consistant the whole run, it was just slow, If I gear up from here the motor gets hot and falls off at the end of the run and is not any faster at the begining.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Try Kenny Lambert's Vegas settings. I have been very happy with it. Depending on the track I will adjust the turbo delay up and change the rollout. leaving everything else the same. Motor never comes off at more than 130 degrees.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6354994-post298.html
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #597
Tech Adept

Try running version 198 without the turbo feature. In my opinion it is more consistant and faster then the newer versions.

13.5 0 timing on the motor
25 boost
10 nuetral width
0 drag break
throttle profile 5

Set your throttle perimeters at 100 then calibrate the speedo then turn up the radio to 120. You may need to dial in a bit of throttle punch if you have any dead throttle. May very depending on what radio you are running.

rollout 2.85 to 3.00 depending on size of track sweeper ect.

Very fast. Trust me.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #598
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jeremy, got a 17.5 setup for version 198? Also how big is the track you are running your 13.5 setup on?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #599
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
Jeremy, got a 17.5 setup for version 198? Also how big is the track you are running your 13.5 setup on?

With 17.5 speedo settings remain the same. Start you're rollout at 3.2 and definetly go up from there. If you have a track with a sweeper you will want to be in the 3.3 -3.4 range. This is with Duo motors. Novak you can roll a bit higher.

hope this helps
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the starting point. I'll give 198 a try again.