R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Since I'm the only one using a booster I'm beginning to think that I have a power loss in there.
here in lies the reason I run a rx pack. I can tell you when a rx pack is working and when it is not. can you tell me when a booster is working? and when it is not?

One piece of advice. with the low mah 2s lipo, I think it is important to balance charge. i have balance charged my 350mah-380mah 2s zippys since vegas. and I consistently put in 58-59mah each race.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #572
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
RX and the Pro? Is the pro worth it for Trans AM racing?
RS I would run in VTA. RS is good down to 5.5 turns.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

@Yang,

Consistantly?! As many times as I have heard you say you forgot to charge your lipo I'd say your average is more like 30-40! lol J/K Yang.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #574
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
@Yang,

Consistantly?! As many times as I have heard you say you forgot to charge your lipo I'd say your average is more like 30-40! lol J/K Yang.
but again. i forgot to charge my rx pack. how many racers have we had that could not figure out if it was a boost that was failing. I saw you spend 30-45 min on one at the classic. and I watch another guy fix his with a rx pack. and how bout the 3 guys in the last 2 months that have had boosters fail. the problem with all this is that they could not tell they failed. I watch the guy at the classic put several runs in and be frustrated. then you yourself put a rx pack in the car and shazam, the problem was gone. i have watch 5 guys jack with boosters that "kinda" worked. and they went as far as replacing every electronic part in their car before they replace the booster. when I forget to charge a battery. it stops working, when I charge a battery it works. when I charge a battery and it does not hold a charge it is failed. this is very simple. I am a EE by schooling and I can tell you I have see electronics that work and then fail suddenly and I have seen electronics work and fail slowly. the part I never want to happen is the latter.

I have only forgotten to charge my rx pack twice and since I now have 4 more chargers, i have never had the problem. when you run 3 cars with 2 chargers and you have 6 batteries the numbers don't add up. so i fixed that i have a charger for each battery now.

and lets talk consistent. you went back and forth in vegas between a rx pack and a booster. you could not tell if your lack of speed was a booster problem. even you had doubts in vegas. you ran rx pack for most of it and then finally went back to the booster. why did you run a rx pack? because you knew that it either worked or it didn't. there was no doubt. you know after you charged it weather the pack was good or bad. you could not tell if your booster was working correctly.

so is a booster easier to use? YES
is it more consistent? I doubt it.
can you tell that it is working 100%? NO

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE

Last edited by theisgroup; 12-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #575
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I decided to try a RX pack. Going with the new LiFe 200mah 6.6V pack. The lower voltage will work with the Futaba servo (still a little high but not as high as a LiPo). Weight wise it's an even swap with the booster. The problem is that I will need to keep the booster soldered in to test both out.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #576
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I decided to try a RX pack. Going with the new LiFe 200mah 6.6V pack. ...
AreCee, I forget... who puts out the LiFe rcvr pack?
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #577
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://nexusracing.com/ sales them. I think they are being made by Team Epic
Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #578
Tech Master

Thanks.
E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #579
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
but again. i forgot to charge my rx pack. how many racers have we had that could not figure out if it was a boost that was failing. I saw you spend 30-45 min on one at the classic. and I watch another guy fix his with a rx pack. and how bout the 3 guys in the last 2 months that have had boosters fail. the problem with all this is that they could not tell they failed. I watch the guy at the classic put several runs in and be frustrated. then you yourself put a rx pack in the car and shazam, the problem was gone. i have watch 5 guys jack with boosters that "kinda" worked. and they went as far as replacing every electronic part in their car before they replace the booster. when I forget to charge a battery. it stops working, when I charge a battery it works. when I charge a battery and it does not hold a charge it is failed. this is very simple. I am a EE by schooling and I can tell you I have see electronics that work and then fail suddenly and I have seen electronics work and fail slowly. the part I never want to happen is the latter.

I have only forgotten to charge my rx pack twice and since I now have 4 more chargers, i have never had the problem. when you run 3 cars with 2 chargers and you have 6 batteries the numbers don't add up. so i fixed that i have a charger for each battery now.

and lets talk consistent. you went back and forth in vegas between a rx pack and a booster. you could not tell if your lack of speed was a booster problem. even you had doubts in vegas. you ran rx pack for most of it and then finally went back to the booster. why did you run a rx pack? because you knew that it either worked or it didn't. there was no doubt. you know after you charged it weather the pack was good or bad. you could not tell if your booster was working correctly.

I don't wanna type out all my responses to this discussion. I'll talk to you at the track.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #580
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
RX and the Pro? Is the pro worth it for Trans AM racing?
Simply, No. As far as Tekins RS/RS Pro, most tracks are not allowing turbo to be on for VTA in my area. GTBs are still pretty popular for that class as well as Speed Passion 1.1s and yes, they are very competitive. I'd say the Tekins are overkill for VTA.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #581
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post

I've not run into a failed booster yet, but I'm sure my day will come. I've seen others fail, but usually due to faulty wiring. I think it would be easy to check and even to be notified of failure with something as simple as an LED. An LED runs on 5V. How hard would it be to put one into the wiring just in front of the receiver plug to monitor voltage? In theory the LED would go out under load if it was slaving current. And as far as some sort of slaving affect due to running a booster, I don't think so. The current draw from the receiver just isn't high enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #582
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I don't think the 1s checkbox is the way to go. hide the esc switch and leave it in the off position. you'll need to use he switch when u set your neutral/throttle/brake so don't put it where it isn't accessible. I just don't want a marshall to get near it. I haven't put a switch on my receiver pack, I jet plugit in and then mount my body.
The 1S box activates the low voltage (3V) cutoff for 1S batteries. If you don't have it checked, you have to run an RX pack to get it to work at all and you definitely don't want to turn on the ESC switch at that point as the LVC will kick on and off as the load changes if the box is checked or it will not run at all if the box isn't checked and the LVC is set for 2S. I haven't had any problems with a booster, box checked and both switches on. Again, I may just be on borrowed time. If I were doing it your way, I'd check the box and then disable the voltage cutoff and not turn on the ESC while running an RX pack.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #583
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I've not run into a failed booster yet, but I'm sure my day will come. I've seen others fail, but usually due to faulty wiring. I think it would be easy to check and even to be notified of failure with something as simple as an LED. An LED runs on 5V. How hard would it be to put one into the wiring just in front of the receiver plug to monitor voltage? In theory the LED would go out under load if it was slaving current. And as far as some sort of slaving affect due to running a booster, I don't think so. The current draw from the receiver just isn't high enough.
but see the 5 that I have seen "fail", the booster was not completely faulty. as a matter or fact i know of 2 that I watch the racer run their heat race and the only time they had problems was when they were drawing high current, for instance coming from a slow speed corner to a fast straight or from a fast straight to a fast sweeper, where the servo would require a lot of power to hold the turn. at that point usually the speedo is the thing that shuts down first and then it would come back on and the car would continue to roll. it looked like a glitch. as a matter of fact both times, the races were trying to figure it out, thinking that their radio was glitching. when they put a rx pack in the car, all was good. when they later replace the rx pack with another known good booster, all was good. so how would your LED help that?

but again that is my point. yes I have seen boosters completly fail. but I have seen more that just kinda fail. on the bench they looked like they worked, on the track they looked like radio glitches. even when I forget to charge the rx pack. the car just stops running. there is no trying to figure it out. I did not spend any time trying to debug a ghost. I just charge the pack. you do that long enough, you just change the pack out. lipo rx packs, what a dream. they either charge and work or don't charge at all. it's not even like the old days, you could charge a pack and you would have a dead cell or the cell would not hold a charge. I have not had one run to the end of life, but i would assume that a lipo at the end of it's life would not take a charge.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #584
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default rx pack help

Does anyone know of a good step down or voltage regulator to say go from 7.vv on a 2cell 350mah pack to 6v or even 5.2. my battery is a 2 cell lipo 350mah pack.

Thanks
Futaba 8fg
Align 3gx
fire929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #585
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i have been thininking the same thing, why could you not put a resister in line to drop the voltage to a managable 6v. we have some electrician guys in here. why wouldnt it work. for the record, a spectrum reciever will take the 7.4v just fine, it is the servo that doesnt always play nice.

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote