R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #496
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
No, but have used it in 4-cell. It is a capacitor that ensures that the receiver always sees a voltage above its minimum. NiMh cells can be dragged below this momentarily under hard acceleration at the end of a run. For that purpose it works perfectly.

In 1S, the voltage is too low to power the speedo and servo, and most receivers. To ensure that the speedo and receiver work, and the servo runs at a reasonable speed, it is necessary to supply 5v+ through a booster or external pack (see posts above about receiver packs) and that means a capacitor like this is not needed. HTH
Ok, so that Spectrum capacitor is more for the 4cell application not the single cell lipo.

That helps, thanks.

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #497
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think it is still a good idea to use the Specktrum capacitor, plugged into the receiver. The booster, depending on which one you use, could still slump under heavy loads and drop the voltage down some. I hard wired mine right to the leads coming out of the TQ booster, as I used all four plug slots on the receiver already. Had the occasional odd glitch in my car till I added the capacitor, now it works fine.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #498
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Four cell i had a capacitor connected to the receiver of my micro spektrum, which got rid of a lot of wierd glitches which were happening every now and then.

I use a Novak Smart Boost with my 1s now, I'm not running the spektrum capacitor any more and things seem good for me.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #499
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Looks like we messed up on the 1S checkbox in the final rev. It is setting 1S in the controller even thought it is not showing it when plugged back in to the hotwire. Unfortunatly that means you cannot uncheck the 1S and get back to normal.

If you select 1S and save settings you have to do a factory reset on the unit to get it back to normal operation.

Chris (hotwire engineer) is gone climbing mountains in Canada this week so we might have to pull this new version off the web until he returns and it can be fixed. It appears fully functional in all other areas. Sorry for the mistake

Version 198 works for all setups from 1s (with a booster or rece pack) to 4cell, 2S and up to 6s with a seperate BEC

Tekin Prez
Was this ever fixed? I have Ver 200, and once I check 1S box, the only way to uncheck the box is by doing a factory reset.

Steve McGeorge
Mac The Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #500
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Any of you ever had the motor act like it was on a rev limiter? When you go full throttle it spools up and then starts cutting out so to speak.. I am useing a rec pack not a booster..Thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #501
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Your receiver pack is dead, or you don't have the red wire from the RS plugged into the receiver. If you try it on the track like it is, the motor will cog horribly. Been there, done that, got a booster. Make sure you have 1S mode selected in the hotwire as well, and turn both switches on.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #502
Tech Fanatic

I check both the rec pack and the main.. Both are charged ready to go.. The red wire is in the rec. V200 Vegas. No current limit and no cut off. The first time it did it I put 1500 mah back into the main battery.. I'm kinda at a loss, just have too see what it does tomorrow at the track..
Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #503
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHMOTORSPORTS View Post
I check both the rec pack and the main.. Both are charged ready to go.. The red wire is in the rec. V200 Vegas. No current limit and no cut off. The first time it did it I put 1500 mah back into the main battery.. I'm kinda at a loss, just have too see what it does tomorrow at the track..
Current limiter? Are you running hybrid or sensored?

I've never run in Hybrid with single cell. Always with sensored only checked.

I have had it do some goofy stuff with single cell checked also (I just leave it off now).
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #504
Tech Fanatic

Im running sensored mode. But if you check dual mode the turbo chages to current limit. Set it then check the sensored box and turbo shows back up.. i'll try unchecking the 1s box at the track if it gives me fits again.. Thanks for the input..
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #505
Tech Elite

I was with him last week and that thing was driving us crazy.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I have a the RS and novak booster hooked up. If I decided to run 2cell, could I? If I can, do I have to make any changes beside the hotwire setup?

--pakk
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #507
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I have a the RS and novak booster hooked up. If I decided to run 2cell, could I? If I can, do I have to make any changes beside the hotwire setup?

--pakk
It should work if you unplug the booster from the Rx.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #508
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHMOTORSPORTS View Post
Any of you ever had the motor act like it was on a rev limiter? When you go full throttle it spools up and then starts cutting out so to speak.. I am useing a rec pack not a booster..Thanks
We have seen this when the main battery is weak. Prior to the turbo kicking in the amp draw is only a few amps, but when turbo starts ramping up the amp draw increases significantly.... and why we do not like turbo engaged for any length of time anywhere except on the straights at full spool out. The large amp draw will pull the voltage low on a weak battery and the motor slows down.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #509
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have a question for team tekin. I have a couple tekin rs speed controls and never seen this:

Bring my car to the track right before the main and turn the radio on then the esc, I had steering but no throttle. 3 lights were blinking one the esc. Tried to reset it and nothing. Same 3 lights keept blinking. Had the track owner come over and did a factory reset and it worked. I was running v200 all day and it worked great. Then changed a couple settings and this happened. I think when the reset was done it also reset all my settings and it was very slow and might have been set to the original version also. Any help with this would b wonderful. Thanks a lot.
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #510
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
We have seen this when the main battery is weak. Prior to the turbo kicking in the amp draw is only a few amps, but when turbo starts ramping up the amp draw increases significantly.... and why we do not like turbo engaged for any length of time anywhere except on the straights at full spool out. The large amp draw will pull the voltage low on a weak battery and the motor slows down.

Tekin Prez
Thank you jim. After 2 days of racing i'm gonna try a different pack. I have 2 of the same now.. I'll try a different brand and go from there.
On a different note what kind of temp are you seeing on the speedos with 13.5?. Mine was 98 deg after the main today.. Just trying to cover all my bases.. Thanks.