R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I tried that by accident as well. Nothing. Tried rebinding the radio and receiver, setting the ESC to default, reprogramming the ESC to the radio, etc.

Randy, Have any idea's?
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #452
Tech Fanatic

What is your neutral width at? If that setting is too high and your breaks are set at much less the 100% in your radio, you could slam on full breaks and not get hardly anything. Something to check.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #453
Tech Elite

Neutral width is at 8-10.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #454
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
In stock touring we never used brake with brushed motors. Is it really the same with brushless?

If you read the other part of my post, running in sensored mode, I have no brakes period. No matter how I have drag brake or brake strength set. I have a tone of brakes in DDM.

Any suggestions on that?
Because you run a Futaba you must reverse your throttle channel before calibrating. Set your EPA's at 100 on throttle and brake, reverse the channel, calibrate.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #455
Tech Elite

Done. Still no brakes. It wouldn't let me calibrate at all if I didn't reverse. It's a 4PK if that makes a difference. Like I said, if I'm in DDM, they work great. When I run in sensored mode, I lose brakes.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #456
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just to prove a point to me:

I went home last night and setup my 12th scale from start to finish with my lowly Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST. I cleared the model I wanted to configure as this was the first time I had set up the 12th scale and wanted all the standard factory settings on the radio. I had already done the Hotwire setup and the RS was ready to sync up with the radio. I made sure the ESC was set up for Brushless/Forward only intentionally in Hotwire just to prove that forward was forward when the config was done. I left the radio set at "throttle reverse off" on purpose and then went and did the 1 touch setup. The ESC wouldn't even let me go to the acceleration phase, so I pushed the trigger instead of pulling the trigger, it took the setting. Then PULLED the trigger instead instead of pushing it as this was all the ESC would recognize and it took the setting again. One touch was now complete. The ESC would only take the opposite commands with the Throttle Reverse Off (as expected). Sure enough the throttle profile was backwards and motor only ran in reverse when I gave it a shot. I reversed the throttle in the radio, ran the one touch again and now its good to go. I do have plenty of brakes.

So from the previous posts, if the setup is right, what else would cause lack of braking besides blown FETs?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #457
Tech Elite

That's pretty much what I have done as well. Like I said, I even turned down my brake EPA, set up the throttle, and turned up the EPA's hoping to get some. It still didn't work.

What's really confusing me is that it's fine with DDM, just not with Sensored mode. If it's a fet, shouldn't it be the same, DDM or sensored? And I have tried it on a couple of different motors as well.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #458
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
That's pretty much what I have done as well. Like I said, I even turned down my brake EPA, set up the throttle, and turned up the EPA's hoping to get some. It still didn't work.

What's really confusing me is that it's fine with DDM, just not with Sensored mode. If it's a fet, shouldn't it be the same, DDM or sensored? And I have tried it on a couple of different motors as well.
Your right, FETs are FETs no matter what mode. I keep looking back at this one as this one is a real head scratcher. With the way you have it set up, the car should come to sliding screeching halt when you tap the brakes.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #459
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Your right, FETs are FETs no matter what mode. I keep looking back at this one as this one is a real head scratcher. With the way you have it set up, the car should come to sliding screeching halt when you tap the brakes.
Stupid thought, but, did you check the sensors? do the three leds flash when you turn the motor by hand?
Mac The Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #460
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
Stupid thought, but, did you check the sensors? do the three leds flash when you turn the motor by hand?
That would point to the motor or cable and not the ESC... good idea. If the sensor cable is shot or sensors themselves aren't registering properly, brakes could be bad. Try a different motor as a really quick test.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #461
Tech Elite

I just tried the one installed and two brand new sensor leads. None of them light up the LED's when you spin the motor. And I tried two motors again as well.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

BTW you do know it doesnt light the entire LED up? There is a little dot on the inside of the LED so you have to look carefully, but you should see it moving.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #463
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

If we calibrate and show the led's being applied on the brakes you should have brakes.

The sensor checker does light up the led's as the others told you but they are DIMMLY lit, not fully lit.

Something is off here. Make sure you're on MT1, make sure your BS is at max. Try using the esc's buttons not just the Hotwire.

Make sure the ABS function is off on your radio as well. I have heard that the Futaba radios have a brake travel trim on it's own so take a look at that as well.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #464
Tech Elite

I don't know what it was, but I reset everything on the ESC again and I have brakes.

I really do appreciate every body scratching your heads trying to figure this one out.

I am now running 45 drag brake (probably reduce that next time), 8 neutral gap, throttle profile 5, 25 push I think, max esc timing, 10 on turbo, .2 delay, with a 76-79mm roll, motor at 0 timing. Still not totally happy with the punch out of the corners but it's getting closer Motor is temping about 105*f. May try adding some motor timing and seeing how that is.

Once again, Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I got the latest vegas 200 setup up for 1s and a novak booster. I just soldered The red and black wire from the booster to the + and - posts. Then I plugged the booster into an empty spot on my RX. I turned both switches on.

Then I drove it around on my living room floor.

Then I started reading this thread, but did not read it all.

It seemed to drive fine, did I set it up right?