R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #31
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

The team has been testing some new software for low voltage operation and it's been getting great feedback. We will post a new version for the public soon!

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
The team has been testing some new software for low voltage operation and it's been getting great feedback. We will post a new version for the public soon!
Now that's what I like! You know the orange and blue brands will just come out with a totally new esc for ppl to go out and buy. Heck there already is an orange "4 cell" specific esc. Nope, none of those problems with Tekin! Just hook it up to the HotWire and POOF! it's like having a brand new ESC. Way to go Tekin!

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Quote:
What no Spektrum capacitors, reciever packs, or voltage boosters?!?!?!???? Say it isn't so!

Now that is some good news!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
What no Spektrum capacitors, reciever packs, or voltage boosters?!?!?!???? Say it isn't so!

Now that is some good news!
Some people will need a voltage booster for the transponder depending on how old it is. Mine doesn't play nice on single cell without a booster.

MRT's on the other hand would work fine on single cell voltage.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #35
Team Tekin

We think we can get all the power on spec motors with no booster or receiver pack… or at least be equal or better than any other speedo. As we push harder on 1S and use faster motors a rec batt or booster will be needed to get all the power during the entire run.

The new 1S setting will be for use with a rec batt or booster and allow the lipo cutoff to be active. The normal mode will be as good as possible for use with no rec battery or booster. 189 was not good on 1S with switch on and does not even run the motor due to a error on our part. 189 with switch off is getting all the power. The new team software runs 1S with no rec batt or booster as well as can be done and should be good enough for spec motors.

Switch off and a rec bat or booster will always be max power because we can literally run the battery into the ground. The lipo is strong enough to stay above the 3V under load without any help. It gets pretty slow well before it goes to low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
Does Tekin, as a company, support this new style of racing? I know you want/need your speedo to work in every application out there, that's obvious, but what does Tekin think or feel of this new direction racing might take?
In general we are not in favor of lower voltage. However it is not really up to us and we cannot deny that it works and has advantages for ease, no balancing and cost. If it increases fun and participation we are all for it.

We also think it has potential for a slower stock class. Drop a 1S into your 17.5 2S setup with no changes… it is stupid slow and a ton of fun to have to roll corners to carry speed instead of point and shoot and be 3 wide rubbing paint and no one goes flying off the track. We have been having a ton of fun with this on our carpet track. We have not found the limits yet due to gearing restrictions

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 02-22-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Great support! I've been following these threads for a few months deciding where to go with brushless electronics.
I'm heading to the LHS today to pick up my first Tekin in over a decade!
Good to see you back!
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Damn Ben, that's a loaded question!!

You want my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post

In general we are not in favor of lower voltage. However it is not really up to us and we cannot deny that it works and has advantages for ease, no balancing and cost. If it increases fun and participation we are all for it.

We also think it has potential for a slower stock class. Drop a 1S into your 17.5 2S setup with no changes… it is stupid slow and a ton of fun to have to roll corners to carry speed instead of point and shoot and be 3 wide rubbing paint and no one goes flying off the track. We have been having a ton of fun with this on our carpet track. We have not found the limits yet due to gearing restrictions

Thank you, an honest answer is all I was interested in.

I can't wait to try the new software. This season would be nice, bit I wonder if that's even possible.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-26-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Josh Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #39
Team Tekin

We cannot improve upon the current software with the switch off and rec batt or booster. That is full raw power from the speedo and only limited by the motor and battery. We are just giving you a more elegant solution so you can leave the switch on and the lipo cutoff works.

It works now without a rec batt or booster… just not on software 189, oops. We can improve it slightly, but it will never be the best setup all around. When tenths matter and you want to be sure you are getting it all with 1S lipo I think we need to consider the booster or rec batt as part of the system in most cases. Just like a separate BEC is standard for serious rockcrawlers this is the best way to do it.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Just hook it up to the HotWire and POOF!
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that particular wording a bit scary?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
The RS will light up when I attach a single cell LiPO, but if there's no RX pack it will not power the motor or even make the chiming sound when it comes on. Just the normal LED sequence, but no sound. This indicates to me that the FETS aren't firing. If I plug in an RX pack, the RS comes on, and does the chiming. If I run a servo lead direct from the 3.7 LiPO to the receiver battery slot, the RS comes on, but again no chimes, no motor drive
Quote:
Double check your lipo cut off setting.

We've run them on 1s no booster or rx pack before. My guess is that your lipo setting isnt' set correcty. Turn it off and see what happens.

Also what's your "normal" led sequence?
Quote:
189 was not good on 1S with switch on and does not even run the motor due to a error on our part. 189 with switch off is getting all the power. The new team software runs 1S with no rec batt or booster as well as can be done and should be good enough for spec motors.

Switch off and a rec bat or booster will always be max power because we can literally run the battery into the ground. The lipo is strong enough to stay above the 3V under load without any help. It gets pretty slow well before it goes to low.
Quote:
It works now without a rec batt or booster… just not on software 189, oops.
I am running 1.89, so I guess that's the reason why my RS won't run the motor on 3.7 without an rx pack. I DID try a single cell LiPO rx pack, but even with that no power. THe rx pack HAD to be either a 4cell nimh or 2s LiPO to get any motor power.

Any idea when this new software will be available?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #42
Team Tekin

If you're going to use an RX pack it really needs to be a 5 cell at 6v's. You can use this setup as long as you leave the esc switch OFF.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #43
Team Tekin

Hey guys,

Can those of you that are running 1s post your gearing for your home track?

As we all know every track is different. Let's all help eachother out and share some info...

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Can those of you that are running 1s post your gearing for your home track?

As we all know every track is different. Let's all help eachother out and share some info...
Also note what brushless motor your running. We are going to run a 1 cell class for our two day race and I know having some set ups would help.

I've got my RS working with either the 5 cell receiver pack or a booster set up off the deans plug as was noted above. Thanks for that info.

I can change the car very easily from cells to 1c lipo, so easy to play with. Now if I could convince the local racers that we Don't need 10.5's to have some fun!!

Once again great products and GREAT SUPPORT ...
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com

Last edited by Grenade10; 03-16-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running with a voltage booster and v 189 software at full boost. the motor timing is all the way down unless I need a little more on the straight.

Gearing is around 77 to 78mm with a Novak 13.5 and a car weight of about 720 grams.

I've only run a little with 17.5 but I geared the Novak at around 90mm on a fairly large track at 720 grams.

I'm finding that you can run more motor timing in single cell. Don't know if the sensors are reading later or what but I've run full timing and full boost without any cogging or heat issues. You just can't do that with 4 cell.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote