R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Best competiton TC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/274517-best-competiton-tc.html)

HUCKMAN 02-10-2009 09:16 AM

Best competiton TC

What are ya'lls opinion on the highest performance TC car out there. I was thinking either the 416 or the schythe. I'm looking to buy one and would appreciate everyones opinion. I'm not worried about parts availability or price. I'll order from wherever. Thanks in advance!

Michael

:sneaky::D:sneaky::D

jonny123 02-10-2009 09:26 AM

HB CYCLONE TC !!

dont forget the cyclone. They are awesome and proven. And very smooth to drive and a great modified car. Although i must admit that the Schumacher is awesome in pro stock as it got top 7 drivers in pro stock ! So it depends how competitive you plan on being and in what class. As differant car exel in differant classes.;)

HarryN 02-10-2009 10:02 AM

My opinion on the best TCs out there is numerous! :lol:

I would highly recommend a Robitronic AVID. They are great and strong cars and take beatings gracefully. However, they can be tricky to setup. Plus with not many people running the cars at local tracks makes it that much harder to have a good baseline to start from. I know there are some very good asphalt setups by Ty at Robitronics, but a decent carpet setup is still lacking. I'm hoping to have one available with some help from a number of great people at my track.

The next car that I would recommend would be, *puts on the hypocrite hat*, the Xray T2'008 and T2'009. These are quite popular cars and setups are readily available. Xray is also well known for their team drivers being active in the Xray forums with any questions about setups and performance that people have when tuning their cars.

Not much is known about the TOP Racing Scythe and it is not as mainstream as I wish it would be (namely for competition and variety reasons at the track). But one thing people do know is Josh Cyrul's involvement with the development and testing of the car daily. Josh Cyrul, just in case you did not know, is a very experienced and knowledgeable person when it comes to this arena. He provides very valuable suggestions that are substantive to making successful products. However, again, if a car is not as mainstream as it should be, parts availability will become an issue and the car will not be as popular.

I am sure others will have more opinions, but these are my top 3 at the moment. :smile:

kn7671 02-10-2009 10:53 AM

None - don't you read the threads - TC is dead. :sneaky:

Honestly, neither of those you mentioned, I prefer the Xray T2 '008/'009. Xray's have proven to be very durable, plus quality control is very good, top notch, compared to others. If you assemble a T2 '008/'009 right after assembling a Tamiya, you can tell me which one you like more. If you can't tell how much better quality the Xray T2 '008/'009 is over the Tamiya, than buy the Tamiya.

Adam? 02-10-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kn7671 (Post 5413524)
Honestly, neither of those you mentioned, I prefer the Xray T2 '008/'009. Xray's have proven to be very durable, plus quality control is very good, top notch, compared to others. If you assemble a T2 '008/'009 right after assembling a Tamiya, you can tell me which one you like more. If you can't tell how much better quality the Xray T2 '008/'009 is over the Tamiya, than buy the Tamiya.

And it still didn't mean anything at the worlds, or any other big race the last year. :)

HarryN 02-10-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Adam? (Post 5413569)
And it still didn't mean anything at the worlds, or any other big race the last year. :)

+1 :nod:

Rick Thomson 02-10-2009 02:05 PM

These kind of threads are always the same, some people say what car they think is the best, and after a while a sort of bash towards each other starts.

There are a few cars which can be considered as the most competitive TC's looking at results:
- Tamiya TRF 416 (WE)
It's a car which goes good right out of the box. Proven to be good on both asphalt and carpet. Winning most big races. Downside is that you have to get the old 416 chassis to get the car perform best for rubber/asphalt.

- Hot Bodies Cyclone TC
HPI/Hot Bodies is one of the biggest competitors of Tamiya, but seems to perform a bit less on carpet. Downside is that a lot of development is done, but just few is made available in stores.

- X-Ray T2'009
It's very good but either the team or drivers just don't seem to be to lucky, which makes them miss big races (like Hagberg at the DHI) Downside is that you have to get the old T2 '008 chassis to make the car perform best for rubber/asphalt.

A lot of other manufacturers get close but are just not as good as the top 3 cars:

- Kyosho TF5 Stallion 'Shin' Edition
One of the best "non top-3 cars". Downside is that the same as for HB, a lot of development but nothing of it reaches the stores.

- Team Associated TC5
A good car, especially on carpet. But the car just misses that little bit because the design is a little outdated.

- Corally RDX Phi (009)
Same as the TC5, good car especially on carpet. Downside is that cars of Corally feel like prototype cars right outside the kit, to much minor problems.

- Top Racing Scythe ARP
According to people racing it it's a good (according to some even the best) car. But it's hard to say for sure, since they didn't win any big international races.

- Team Losi JRXS Type R
The Losi is a good car for people driving Foam or lipo. The car has got a unique design, but it just misses that bit. There is a reason the 3 top cars look so much alike. Maybe Losi wanted to be different a bit to much.

- Robitronic Avid (2)
Robitronic has proven to deliver high performace electronics with the overloader and Icube, but the car just wasn't good enough. A carpet the car is performing reasonable, but on asphalt most people just feel like the car is not good enough.

Al this is based on a combination of own experience and combined opinions from others. I probably forgot a lot of cars, but maybe someone can complete it:)

Sabin 02-10-2009 03:11 PM

Another one for the list:

Corally RDX

Older car, yes but still quite capable. Can get one for under 200 these days and is pretty nice to work on. MANY setups available on their homepage and other places. once dialed, it drives fast and nice.

HB Moose 02-10-2009 03:31 PM

Totally loaded question. Too many variables. There can be a big difference in which qualities a car needs for a world class driver to be fast with and what an weekend warrior needs.

HUCKMAN 02-10-2009 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys... Think I like 416 best, already have a 415 and it tunes well.:D

NUCRPTRACER 02-10-2009 05:42 PM

XRAY 009:) Case closed

Rojna 02-10-2009 06:10 PM

TT01 is the best :ha:

artwork 02-10-2009 06:18 PM

This question gets asked a lot on here and just about every time the people that have been in RC a long time say the same thing. They are all good cars!

Find one that is supported well locally and run that. I can get on here and tell you that the HB Cyclone TC is the best, but honestly that is only my opinion. I have run a lot of different cars, but the one that works best for most people is that car that they can get parts for and can ask locals some questions about setups and tuning tips. That's it!

You cannot really go wrong with any of them...

Try using the search button in the future almost every question has been covered at least twice on here.

Good luck with your purchase and have some fun!

hpisims 02-10-2009 06:49 PM

Schumacher mi3.5 in my mind is the best touring car I have had. Adjustments are easy to make and the car is solid it will take a beating. The best part is it comes assembled for you just take it to the track and start dialing in your setup.

Sabin 02-10-2009 07:06 PM

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is when you find a car that's supported locally, see if that same car is ran at the track. That way you can get people telling you their experiences with it and also a good setup to start with.