R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Whats the difference? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/274443-whats-difference.html)

chrislow 02-10-2009 12:45 AM

Whats the difference?

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but. I'm using a 13.5 novak now but want more speed torque etc. Was thinking of 10.5 or 8.5, as i'm using a XBR that's my choice. My question is, whats the difference between these motors if i geared them for the same top end speed, ie small pinion on 8.5 and larger gearing on 10.5. Cant i get the same speed out of both, and if so what will be the difference, which will have more punch out of the corners?
Right now with my EX13.5 when i gear it for the straight i have no punch, very sluggish out of corners. Any advice will be appreciated.

chris

Rick Thomson 02-10-2009 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by chrislow (Post 5411848)
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but. I'm using a 13.5 novak now but want more speed torque etc. Was thinking of 10.5 or 8.5, as i'm using a XBR that's my choice. My question is, whats the difference between these motors if i geared them for the same top end speed, ie small pinion on 8.5 and larger gearing on 10.5. Cant i get the same speed out of both, and if so what will be the difference, which will have more punch out of the corners?
Right now with my EX13.5 when i gear it for the straight i have no punch, very sluggish out of corners. Any advice will be appreciated.

chris

Hi Chris,

Basically it comes to this: The less winds a motor has, the more power. Which means that normally a 8.5turns motor has got more power than a 10.5. When gearing in a way they have to same top speed, it will mean the 8.5 has got more torque (punch). But you should keep in mind, that if you want you motor to stay in a good condition the gearing is important. the best way to check if you have the proper gearing is to make sure you car reaches top speed at around 2/3 or 3/4 of the longest straight/full throttle part of the track. After the run check how hot you motor is, the motor should not get to hot. However up to around 70/80degrees Celsius is still acceptable.

But the 8.5 will be the faster motor, but you should check what other people of your club are using, so you will be able to join the races.

chrislow 02-10-2009 03:36 AM

thanks for that, my club allows anything, some have 3.5 most 10.5 and 8.5 down to my slowest 13.5. However i still normally place, as the track is low traction and small. but i am beaten by the faster motors normaly. I love when i gear my 13.5 down a bit i seem to have excellent throttle control through corners normally ducking inside the guys with faster motors. I put it down to the finesse my motor has. Hard to describe, but i feel with the slower motor nearly all trigger movement is usable in a corner so is smoother(because it is a slower motor) whereas with the faster motor perhaps only the lower half of the trigger movment is usable in a corner. Am i making sense. More powerband in tight corners. Will i lose that with a 8.5?

Scooter79rs 02-10-2009 04:45 AM

With a slower motor you won't need to brake as much as someone with a faster motor. For a corner that for you may require little to no braking with a 13.5 would require a fair amount of braking, so with a 13.5 since your not braking as hard or as much to make a turn you should have an equivalent higher average speed in a 13.5 compared to a 3.5.
On my car with a 27t motor with it geared at 6.21 average was 45km/h with a top of 47km/h but with it gear at 6.00 average was 44km/h with a top of 50km/h.