Wiki Posts
Search

JRX-S Type R vs Associated TC5F

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default JRX-S Type R vs Associated TC5F

Hello everybody,

I am relatively new to electric on-road (13.5 foams on carpet), but I drive electric off-road. I am looking to get into on-road, but I cannot afford to pay top dollar for Corally or Xray. (I am also not looking to buy used, because I really love to build kits.) So I am looking at the Losi JRX-S Type R and the Associated TC5F, both of which are in the low $300 range. I was wondering, what are the pros and cons of each car, and which one is easier to dial in? Does one of the two have an advantage on the other? Will the JRX-S be discontinued soon?

My track has about equal parts support for both, so that is not an issue.

I will be running LiPo. My off-road gear includes two Orion Platinum Two LiPos; will they fit in both? I hear they fit the JRX-S but I may need to trim a pulley. Do I need to shim the top deck or purchase any mods for the AE to get it to fit?

I just did a search on it and all the threads on this subject are pre-TC5F. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You dont have to pay top dollar to get top dollar performance, both cars are equal in performace to the high dollar kits

The TC5 will fit pretty much every ROAR legal lipo without any modification, can't say for sure on the Losi, never had one to look at (although im pretty sure you will have to make some space, especially on the bigger capacity packs).

Other than that, flip a coin really. Both cars will serve you well, and both have just as much potential to be as fast as anything else thats out there. Id say, whichever more people at your track run, that way you can get more help with spares and setup tips
Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Is there a durability difference?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't think there is a durability difference. As far as the lipos on the losi car There are plenty of lipos that fit, and very few that don't for the most part any roar legel lipo that doesn't have the "bumps" on the bottom will fit, like the losi pack the smc pack the checkpoint pack and quite a few others. I have checkpoint 5400's in my losi's.

Durability wise, i'm not the best driver and i tend to hit things often i can show you some pictures hahah. I haven't had to replace much other than arms and c hubs which you'd have to replace on just about any touring car that you hit things often with. I hit a track spike at top speed (3.5 brushless on a big gas track) and the car drove away after the corner marshal had to use two hands and put his back into it to get it off the spike.

I've seen the tc5 take a couple of pretty good whacks too.

I'd say choose based on what the drivers in your area run. If you have lots of local support for one more so than the other go w/ that one. I went w/ the losi because there are a bazillion guys running them at the tracks i race.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default ae vs losi

i will pick tc5f. tc5 is pretty much same layout as x ray , tamiya , hot bodies. if you like be diffrent go with losi. you can also pick up hot bodies cyclone tc with almost same price.