Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HPI Cup Racer 1M >

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by redbones
Found a weakpoint on this car. The front driveshaft cup(85281-10)
This piece is made of plastic, and all three of the notches that go into the bevel gear broke off, turning the car into a rwd car. This was after some fun battles with small crashes here and there with a 17.5.

I have to get a replacement somehow. In the meantime, an aftermarket alloy version of this might be in need...
I experienced the exact same issue. I spoke w/ HPI and replacement parts should be on retailer's shelves in a month or so. For now the part is available for order from HPI. They're on the way.........
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That's one of the reasons why I needed to shim the shaft cups. Don't over do it, or you'll lose the safety play of the center shaft and possibly destroy a bearing in an event of a crash.
It looks like shimming would pull the three engagement "teeth" away from the planetary gear on the other side...? Anyone else have this issue? I'll build per the manual tonight and post results...

EDIT: Okay, my concern is a non-issue. Basically, you want to make sure not to tighten the allen screw into the planetary gear too tightly. Once you install the spur, you can loosen the allen to free everything up quite a bit. Cool.

Last edited by jubilee; 05-26-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is anyone running other tires then stock? I ran my CR yesterday in front of my house and seriously wore down the left side tires. They formed a groove near the inside edge. I checked to make sure it wasn't from body rub.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Since mini slicks are relatively hard to come by, we've been using discarded foams from our nitro sedans. I'm not sure what shore I have on my car right now but I do know they're both fronts. 54mm=54mm so why not? Plus there just seems to be an endless supply of used foams at the track and they're free!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

This is the reason why mini class is dead at our club. They are hard to come by, and many people don't want to deal with intl' shipping. Great way to kill off a class. And those tires that come with the cup racer, they wear prematurely, and lasted about 2-3 batt packs. Not all that different from the tamiya 60D. I'm not sure why HPI stopped making the X-patterns, but they are missing out on potential sales at this rate.

To HPI: If you ever decide to re-issue the mini xpatterns, please make LOTS of them and not turn it into some unobtanium. Simply because people will want it and buy them.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

This is the reason why mini class is dead at our club. They are hard to come by, and many people don't want to deal with intl' shipping. Great way to kill off a class. And those tires that come with the cup racer, they wear prematurely, and lasted about 2-3 batt packs. Not all that different from the tamiya 60D. I'm not sure why HPI stopped making the X-patterns, but they are missing out on potential sales at this rate.

To HPI: If you ever decide to re-issue the mini xpatterns, please make LOTS of them and not turn it into some unobtanium. Simply because people will want it and buy them.
+1

At my track there seems to be alot of interest in this class, if not this car. 3 of us have gotten one so far and of those 3, only mine's has not had any parts breakage yet. I know it's a new car but I don't think parts availability should ever be an issue, especially for an HPI.
I still love my Cup Racer though. Raced it yesterday against my buddy's busted Cup Racer and an M03. The M03 with a Tamiya black can was a bit faster than my Cup Racer with a Novak SS 17.5BL. However I can basically corner without letting off while the M03 traction rolled when trying to corner hot.
I sort of hope HPI releases the Switch in the US. I just want to see more M-Type chassis available so the mini class can have more to choose from.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Is anyone running other tires then stock? I ran my CR yesterday in front of my house and seriously wore down the left side tires. They formed a groove near the inside edge. I checked to make sure it wasn't from body rub.
I did the same thing, however I was an idiot and didn't glue on my tires. I had the tire wear down on the inside because it was rubbing on the uppper link

I'm just hoping new tires are on the way (read, replacements available soon) because I tried some Tamiya S-Grips with hard inserts and the car was like it was on ice...But the HPI tires with Orange RIDE inserts (med, I think) had decent grip, a little loose, but way better then the S-Grips
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707
+1

I sort of hope HPI releases the Switch in the US. I just want to see more M-Type chassis available so the mini class can have more to choose from.

Dont get me started

I had a Cup racer (sold) and I have the Switch. Before any of you go nuts at me I am not the only one that wishes the Switch would vanish. It doesn't work .. it has possibly the worst gearbox ever built (sounds like a coffee grinder) and the slop in the steering assembly is unbelievable. I was hoping for a competitor to the M03 but alas not a hope
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon
Dont get me started

I had a Cup racer (sold) and I have the Switch. Before any of you go nuts at me I am not the only one that wishes the Switch would vanish. It doesn't work .. it has possibly the worst gearbox ever built (sounds like a coffee grinder) and the slop in the steering assembly is unbelievable. I was hoping for a competitor to the M03 but alas not a hope
I saw civicferio's video on Youtube on the Switch and it looked absolutely horrible. The suspension looked useless and the slop in the steering was ridiculous. I have a feeling the Switch will be dirt cheap but bare bones with alot of HPI factory options available.
Still, I'd much rather have an M05.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

In an earlier post HPI stated that the mini x radial would be coming back soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cannon
Dont get me started

I agree with you on that. the review over at rc-mini was horrendous

M05 ftw.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'm not having any luck with the Cup Racer either. Hard to drive your car hard knowing that parts are not readily available yet.(I am not paying for expensive shipping from HPI). I might give the 3racing TT-01 conversion a try since I have one lying around and parts are a plenty. If anyone is interested in a newly built Cup Racer(spare car) for cheap, PM me, seriously.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with you on that. the review over at rc-mini was horrendous

M05 ftw.
And I held back from saying what I REALLY wanted to say about it.....
Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
MINI 4WD CLASS will be Running with RCGT, Two fun classes in one event Wow!!

[http://www.rcgtshowdown.com/

Last edited by ppabalan; 06-04-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^^^ good news, my LHS (hobbyttown,torrance) suddenly have ABC genetics, shells, wheels/tires and i was told there will be an ABC open trunk day soon. already picked-up my KPGC10 shell and a wheel & tire combo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.