R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Glitching Problem

I just recently finished building my FT TC3. After putting in all the electronics and hooking everything up I get major glitching problems. In less than 15ft with the Antenna down the signal goes haywire. I have caps solderd to the motor. and the reciver mounted ontop of the steering servo away from the ESC. What could possibly be the problem? If you guys have any Ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
TuxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

try.
1 putting the aerial up
2 has the motor got caps?
3 is any of the signal wires touching the graphite chassis?
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Yes the motor has caps. I assume that when you say putting the arial up you mean extending the antenna? My Transmitter instructions said that you should be able to recieve a signal up to 100ft away w/ the antenna down.

When you say "make sure none of the signal wires are touching the chassie", what signal wires are you talking about?

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TuxRacer
Yes the motor has caps. I assume that when you say putting the arial up you mean extending the antenna? My Transmitter instructions said that you should be able to recieve a signal up to 100ft away w/ the antenna down.

When you say "make sure none of the signal wires are touching the chassie", what signal wires are you talking about?

Thanks for the quick reply
i meant wiv there areal up.
the singal wires being the reciever antana,sevo and speedo leads.
graphite can cause gliting.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Check receiver antenna for any nicks or scuffs and that it's also the correct length. Extend your Tx antenna all the way. Check your crystals. Try using a Schotcky diode on the motor if your ESC is forward only.

HTH

John
Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

He is probably referring to the anteen wire that passes next to the servo throu the small hole in the chasis. Try putting the antenna directly into the plastic tube by drilling a small hole in it above the mounting hole in the chasis. Also try putting an insulater between the battery pack and the chais if it is a sidexseide pack.
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Yes the Aerial is up. and The leads from the ESC, and Steering servo are not touching the chassie.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

My ESC does have a Schotcky diode. Is it possible that placing the reciver on top of the steering servo could cause the interference? Any one with a TC3 and a GT7 know the best way to mount there ESC and reciver to minimize glitching?

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to roaddog

Also make sure you batteries have shrink wrap on them and that the bare battery isnt touching the chasis. Sometimes the shrink wrap breaks or tears and grounds the chasis.
roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Tech Elite

STand your receiver up on its side.

Also, are you driving next to any street lamps or a power transformer. I can't play with my cars infront of my house because there is a street light, and my car goes BALLISTIC around it. I have an M8 75mhZ
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Glitching Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by TuxRacer
I just recently finished building my FT TC3. After putting in all the electronics and hooking everything up I get major glitching problems. In less than 15ft with the Antenna down the signal goes haywire. I have caps solderd to the motor. and the reciver mounted ontop of the steering servo away from the ESC. What could possibly be the problem? If you guys have any Ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
hey tuxracer; also put three pieces of servo tape under your reciever.and speedo this will help alot and if possible dont mount reciever on servo.. stand up on side as recomended ,just make sure you can get the ccrystal out .. give it a try ,good luck!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Just A follow up. I checked all the things you guys told me to. I moved the reciver to stand on it's side off of the steering servo. I ran the antenna through a small hole just above the mounting. I also solderd a third capacitor to the motor. None of these things seam to work I have the exact same problem with no change.

Here is my next question. What is the farthest you can get your car to go before it won't respond or starts glitching. I can get just under 100ft (approx).

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:20 AM   #13
Tech Adept

tux...you can drive the thing as long as you can see it..anyways...if none of those work...try replacing the speedo...i heard that GT7 has a glitching problem...if ur speedo is old try replacing it or send it back to novak and tell them your getting glitching problems..some of our local racers here had the same problem with the same setup as yours and no matter what we do, position wise, mounting, antenna, we even rebuild the motor and nuthing worked....he just sent the gt7 back to novak and they replaced it free and the glitching was fixed...

anyways before you do this try using a fresh motor, chck if none of your solder joints are loose, check if you have a bad reciever, crystal and transmitter..sometimes transmitter goes bad and needs to be re-calibrated....i did that to my 3pk and now its been a good racing...if all fails...i have no idea what is wrong with your car
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Glitching Problem

TuxRacer;

The RX should NOT be mounted on top of a Servo.

Check your Pack(s) to make sure none of the shrink wrap is damaged and is shorting on the Chassis.

Has the Receiver possibly been damaged previously in a Crash?

Battery/Motor wires crossing over Receiver wires can glitch.

Phantom glitching can really be fustrating to troubleshoot.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:12 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Thanks PopsRacer.

It has never been in a crash. In fact it has never been run. After building it I discoverd my glitching problem. No motor/Batt. wires are crossing the Rx antenna. I have reason to belive it is the Rx or the crystals. I hope.

Thanks,