R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff
Default TC3 vs Xray Raycer

I am a Sportsman off road driver down at SoCal and have recently driven a friends onraod car for the first time. I'm hooked. I would love some opinions on whether to go with the TC3 or new Raycer.....I currently drive a B4 and T4 for offroad....

Any other words of wisdom for my transition would also be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!!!

nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Default car

there are a few things to consider in your choice.

if you're really familiar with assosiated the tc3 is a good choice.

also belt or shaft is another preferance.

tc3 parts are cheap and in good supply so if you break alot that is a good idea to get tc3.

the xray is a really tunable car, and if extensive amounts of options for tuning is your thing the xray has a few the tc3 dosen't.

the last issue is price. the tc3 ft edition id a bit cheaper and there are probably more tc3 guys at your local track and on RCTECH than Xray raycer guys, so minor issues could be a bit easire to sort out.

overall check both cars out and see whitch you like more. good luck.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Ok, after massive research I have found the car for you Nutty.

http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...60/60-2797.jpg

This will put you in the top of the class for sure!!

hehe...just kidding....just kidding....

Good luck in your search, and see you on the track
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say that parts availability would be the deciding factor if I were in your shoes.

Being a sportsman driver, and new to on-road, I'm guessing you'll break a few parts while getting used to the differences between on and off-road racing. It's not a judgement of your skills, it's just that lots of people break stuff when doing their first major class switch.

Having said that, I'd guess that the tc3 would be the best choice for you. Also, I say that because I've driven them both, and the tc3 is a really great beginner car. It's stable and easy to drive right out of the box.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:23 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

You hear that, Shayd? That's me passing you in about two months with my Shack Special....

Thanks for the advice so far guys! More points of view would be welcome too!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: car

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
the last issue is price. the tc3 ft edition id a bit cheaper and there are probably more tc3 guys at your local track and on RCTECH than Xray raycer guys, so minor issues could be a bit easire to sort out.
Actually, that's not entirely true. The T1 Raycer is about $50 cheaper than the FT TC3.

I like the Raycer, based on what I've seen a friend do with it. It's top notch quality, as is every XRay sedan. Granted, it's not a "graphite" kit like the TC3, but it's a very nice car.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
Tech Elite

SHAYD-

I think you would need to enter THAT car in the mini class...
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:48 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

While not having owned the Raycer I have run the EVO2 in the past. I will say the craftsmanship and quality is top-notch, and it is extremly tunable. I had been running a Losi previous to the Xray, once I got the Xray hooked up it was about the same speed (lap timewise) as the Losi. I continued to run it for several months but could never get it to clearly be faster than the XXXs. So, just out of curiosity I tried a FT TC3 while I still owned the Xray. The very first pack I ran through the car I remember thinking to I myself this car is awful!!!! I came down off the drivers stand and picked up my Orion lap counter and couldnt believe my eyes. I was consistently .2 to .3 secs a lap FASTER, the car just felt so different it completely had me fooled (I'm a decent driver and fairly consistent). I have run the car ever since....I won't sit here and tell you one is any "better" than the other but I can say for myself and several other drivers in my area that we are just plain faster with the TC3...sorry for the length and hope this helps.
roll_tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Don't worry about length, it was very informative...Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Both cars are race worthy. The craftmanship in the T1R is definitely better. I own a T1R, EVO2, and FTTC3. The T1R is my favorite of the three. The EVO2 looks better on the bench, but the T1R is slightly easier to drive.

Every local driver that used to have a TC3 and switched to a XRAY has become faster. I have not seen a single TC3 win at either local carpet track since last year. The XRAY just feels smoother and easier to drive with confidence. It is more balanced and the parts are more durable. If you are choosing between the T1R and a FTTC3, definitely get the T1R.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by cartmen34
I would say that parts availability would be the deciding factor if I were in your shoes.

Being a sportsman driver, and new to on-road, I'm guessing you'll break a few parts while getting used to the differences between on and off-road racing. It's not a judgement of your skills, it's just that lots of people break stuff when doing their first major class switch.

Having said that, I'd guess that the tc3 would be the best choice for you. Also, I say that because I've driven them both, and the tc3 is a really great beginner car. It's stable and easy to drive right out of the box.
i dissagree on the part where class switching is hard..i use to run off-road (still does for practice) and switched to on-road..i find it easier to drive on-road cars than off-road...i practice off-road once in a while 'cause it helps me judge the track better and teaches me to look ahead of the car and control my throtle finger...

as for the car...i've seen a lot of racers here in our area move from off-road to on-road...one of te local racer bought a xxx-s graphite conversion and finished 2nd on his first race...he said it was easier to drive on-road than off-road...anyway between the raycer and tc3...ive heard xrays have more stuff to setup so its kinda hard to understand...starting with the tc3 is not too bad...'cause the tc3 is raceable out of the box...it's better to understand how to setup the chassis first than to try to go fast immidiately...even if the car is top notch if it's not set-up properly its just plain junk...i think the tc3 is like a training car...fewer setups and easy to drive thus teaching you how to do it right...and the things tough too!
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Awesome input so far..thanks. It still looks like a split decision. I'm actually looking forward to the transition. A lot of people say it's easier to go from off to on because we have to deal with sooo much throttle control... I race real cars for fun occasionally so I'm familiar with lines...

Can't wait to pull the trigger and choose...but I've haven't been sold on either yet....
Old 11-07-2003, 10:00 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Barracuda R2. That's all you need to know.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to vere513

oh really tc3 only a trianing car? then how come people at my track gets beat by a tc3 when they have that raycer
vere513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:28 PM   #15
Tech Adept

My opinion is if there is good parts support for Xray in your area then DEFINATELY get the T1R.
The T1R is an awesome contender on the track and the Quality of materials used are superb. The best value for money car around in my opinion. You can also easily fit any of the Evo2 options if you desire (carbon fibre top and bottom decks etc, etc)
You will not be disappointed.
CustomfibreR/C is offline   Reply With Quote