R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This tread is great for humor. I hope someone from XRAY reads it and takes it seriously. I'm guessing the trend for this cars pricing will be 1/3 more than the average new kit. Most of the others can be had for 250 to 275, so this will probably be in the 325 range. Again, just not worth the marketing hype.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey it use metric screw. IT'S OPTIMIZED!!!!!!
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttso View Post
Hey it use metric screw. IT'S OPTIMIZED!!!!!!
OPTIMIZED!!!!

Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This is how European way of bussiness. I am not saying all the European brand is like jacking the price skyrocket with slightly better QC and "optimized" appearance.

However they do have to tendency to abuse brand name affect. also the "fruit labeled" brand.

I do not deny X-ray has decent quality kit and material, but does it justify all cost of the kit, I even doubt that the R&D budget of X-ray isn't that much since most of its design is nothing radical and definitely don't seems to have gone through many prototypes.

I rather believe the money people pays for their kits goes to the paycheck of their huge driver team.

there are people who's willing to pay a lot of extra for slightly higher QC and look.
but not me. I seen X-ray kit and kits from other other brands. does X-ray kit look better ? maybe. does it drive better, not really sure about that.

I wonder how much does it take to make those 700+ USD shoe I was in San Francisco Shopping Center or 1200USD hand bag at 5th Ave NYC stores.
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker View Post
This is how European way of bussiness. I am not saying all the European brand is like jacking the price skyrocket with slightly better QC and "optimized" appearance.

However they do have to tendency to abuse brand name affect. also the "fruit labeled" brand.

I do not deny X-ray has decent quality kit and material, but does it justify all cost of the kit, I even doubt that the R&D budget of X-ray isn't that much since most of its design is nothing radical and definitely don't seems to have gone through many prototypes.

I rather believe the money people pays for their kits goes to the paycheck of their huge driver team.

there are people who's willing to pay a lot of extra for slightly higher QC and look.
but not me. I seen X-ray kit and kits from other other brands. does X-ray kit look better ? maybe. does it drive better, not really sure about that.

I wonder how much does it take to make those 700+ USD shoe I was in San Francisco Shopping Center or 1200USD hand bag at 5th Ave NYC stores.
In my opinion, brand names like Xray and Serpent can get away with jacking up customer prices namely because WE, the consumer, let them suck us into things like "LOOK!! OUR CAR BEAT EVERYONE ELSE'S CAR!!!! WE HAVE THE BEST CAR AND YOU SHOULD BUY IT!!!" not mentioning that it is the driver and setup of the car that actually won, and not the car itself. And, such companies (I am not singling out Xray or Serpent on this one since a lot of the companies are guilty of this) know that there are drones out there that will believe this hype and buy en masse. Then when other companies see this, they all follow suite and raise their prices as well. It is wrong and things like this will detract newcomers and even kill the current customer base right now.

And how right you are about a lot of companies barely spend that much money in R&D to warrant the crazy prices. Xray's 10th scale pan car is a prime example. Can they honestly look at someone square in the eyes and say they went through SEVERAL prototypes to eventually come up with this design? If they have a soul and conscience, they wouldn't even dare to say something like that. And it is a shame that a lot of companies out there are copying off of eachother and producing the same bloody car with different swirrels and angles and colors to differentiate the cars. Then they rest on the notion "OH HOW TIRED WE ARE TO BRING YOU THE FINAL VERSION!! AFTER MANY ATTEMPTS WE FINALLY CAME UP WITH THIS DESIGN! BUY IT!! YOU WANT IT!!! IT'S FASTER!!" Yet you look to another car and see barely a difference.

Honestly, if people as a whole were more self-conscious as they are becoming right now with the looming poor world economy, brand names would not be allowed to get away with bogus things like this.

And please, by all means, DO NOT take this post as trashing the quality of cars these days. I think electric cars have evolved quite a bit over the years and increased in quality. But a brand name should not dictate its highly inflated prices. If they do, they better not produce this "optimized" 10th scale pan car that Xray has.

"OPTIMIZED"
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #81
Tech Elite

I'm looking to get into onroad soon. I'm tired of car kits that work fine for a little while but need constant repair due to poor quality.

X-ray seems to have the highest quality materials out there so thats what my 1st onroad car will be. If I have to pay a little extra then so be it.

If they want to toot their horn a little let 'em. I like thier website. At least I can see the cars features so I can decide if its for me or not. Most manufacturers barely show a picture of thier car. Am I suposed to just asume its good.

And if a co. goes to a older desighn, it's not bad if it works. Don't need crazy links and shocks all over the place. Simple is good, its not a nitrobuggy!

Sigh.......maybe I've been OPTIMZED too!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I'm looking to get into onroad soon. I'm tired of car kits that work fine for a little while but need constant repair due to poor quality.

X-ray seems to have the highest quality materials out there so thats what my 1st onroad car will be. If I have to pay a little extra then so be it.

If they want to toot their horn a little let 'em. I like thier website. At least I can see the cars features so I can decide if its for me or not. Most manufacturers barely show a picture of thier car. Am I suposed to just asume its good.

And if a co. goes to a older desighn, it's not bad if it works. Don't need crazy links and shocks all over the place. Simple is good, its not a nitrobuggy!

Sigh.......maybe I've been OPTIMZED too!

I agree with you for the most part. But when you pay a premium for a car you want the latest and greatest design and features. If this car is FAST then I think this chatter will die down. But if you buy a Mercedes you expect more amenities than you would get on a Honda. Not that a Honda won't get the job done you just don't want to pay Mercedes prices for it. If the price comes in around $250 then I don't see a major issue with the current (tired) design. But I doubt that will be the case.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I agree with you for the most part. But when you pay a premium for a car you want the latest and greatest design and features. If this car is FAST then I think this chatter will die down. But if you buy a Mercedes you expect more amenities than you would get on a Honda. Not that a Honda won't get the job done you just don't want to pay Mercedes prices for it. If the price comes in around $250 then I don't see a major issue with the current (tired) design. But I doubt that will be the case.
A-F'ing-men.

+1
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

I'm new. What other features should it have. The link style cars are cool but are more complicated than the t-bar cars. Heavier to. Though it would be nice to use a single lipo like a link car, no rules in my area alow lipo yet.

$250 sounds ok. Similar price to AE and the Hotbodes 1/12th scale.

The car deos have soom cool features like the XII. I bet It'll do just fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #85
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
The whole car is optimized to remove money from your wallet with speed, consistency, and efficiency.

When have they had much in the way of innovation anyway. T1=Corally C4.1, T2=anything Tamiya, XII=Hot Bodies, Associated.
This pretty much says it all!

I don't know whats with the 'surprise' that Xray isn't releasing anything innovative. Thats like....being surprised that the sun is hot...
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #86
Tech Elite

I think the t-bar with the "club setting" is neat. The tiny top plate on the pod is pretty cool as well. How inovative can you get with a pan car?

Now if they had a F1 and I could race one somewhere.......................
Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I think the t-bar with the "club setting" is neat. The tiny top plate on the pod is pretty cool as well. How inovative can you get with a pan car?

Now if they had a F1 and I could race one somewhere.......................
F1? Interesting point. This still looks more like an F103 the more I look at it.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #88

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
How inovative can you get with a pan car?

See:

BMI: (Innovative rear suspension design)

Serpent: (Innovative Tbar/Tweak/Rear Pod design, and nice front end)

CRC: (Innovative Pro-Strut front end)

And others including AE.

There's plenty of innovation still alive. Xray is just not one of them... chosing to copy designs from the 80's and 90's instead of going on a limb and trying something clever like the above cars.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #89
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
I'm new. What other features should it have. The link style cars are cool but are more complicated than the t-bar cars. Heavier to. Though it would be nice to use a single lipo like a link car, no rules in my area alow lipo yet.

$250 sounds ok. Similar price to AE and the Hotbodes 1/12th scale.

The car deos have soom cool features like the XII. I bet It'll do just fine.
Yeah...I'm not sure what more features would make this type of car better...
( EDIT: See above post) I like simple too as long as it's fast and priced right. Trust me I have an Xray 008/009 now and I pay premium price for parts and such...cuz the car has a current design, is fast, and has "luxury, premium and optimized" () features like a nice glossy instruction manual, setup guide, nice looking parts and finish. I'm sure this car will come with the same glossy guides and manuals I just hope the don't price themselves out of the current market and the car works well.

However I do see on Redrc that there will be a 6 cell version coming out, so for the lipo crowd that may work.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #90
Tech Elite

OPTIMIZED!!!!

Price: $259.99

Main Features: Optimized, luxurious, and revolutionary redesigned to go fast!!

Sorry, I just hadto do this. :P

That pan car should be scrapped and started over. Last I will say on this subject. I am surprised no Xray team driver spoke up yet. But then again, how can you defend that pan car?