R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #241
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXY923 View Post
Hey, I have an XRAY X10 on the way. My local track has a brand new class called SCAR (Spec Canadian Auto Racing). Rules are simple, 200mm pan car, Novak 17.5, Orion 2400 Lipo, CRC or Jaco WGT Spec tires and any one of 40+ HPI GT bodies.

I'll be the first in this class with an X10 and was wondering if anybody out there has fitting a 2s lipo? I'm looking for suggestions & pics. Thanks

Any other setup or build tips welcome.
what is your weight minimum ? Are you using saddle battery packs or a single stick ? Depending on the above I'd consider putting the battery in front of the T-Bar and balancing the electronics in the rear with counter weights. The battery suggestion was given by one of the RC American guys ( Tim ) at the IIC race in Vegas , it reduced some of the push. So far I like my Xray X10, it was very easy to drive... I just lacked horsepower and experience with a pan car.. I made steady gains but finished 2nd in the C main at IIC. I'm sure someone with more experience could get rid of the on-power push and the car would be dialed !

p.s. use heavier oil for the dampening plate.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #242
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tip.

The battery is the Orion 2400 lipo (stick pack). I think the only option I have is down the side. Across the chassis will not fit without hanging over the edge. Min weight is 1000g.
FOXY923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #243
Tech Master

sorry but that is just utter rubbish. Just put the stick lipo on one side and ballance the other with electronics and lead (if needed)
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #244
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
sorry but that is just utter rubbish. Just put the stick lipo on one side and ballance the other with electronics and lead (if needed)
What is rubbish?

I was thinking what you just posted, sorry if it didn't sound that way. By 'across' the chassis I meant left to right.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #245
Tech Master

Quote:
What is rubbish?

I was thinking what you just posted, sorry if it didn't sound that way. By 'across' the chassis I meant left to right.
I believe he was talking about "my" advice to try placing the lipo forward instead of "side saddle", that my suggestion was "rubbish" . It would have been nice for him to explain why he believes such. Hopefully he'll return and discuss it.

btw.. the guy that gave me the above advice got third in the A main with his WGT xray X10... so I guess he didn't know what he was talking about... the Las Vegas IIC race being such a small event and all

Regardless, it is a bit of apples and oranges comparison and maybe I should be scolded for not thinking through the rules differences before posting a reply.

At the IIC race ( a tight mid sized indoor carpet track ! ) we were using 1S lipo with 13.5 turn motors and our minimum is 930 grams. Because the 2400 orion is probably a fair bit heavier than the 1S lipo it might be too much weight up front. Also, your "power plant" is possibly producing more power than our single cell lipo's can deliver so that might change your car setup. I am sorry my pan-car experience lacks so I have little more than a suggestion with little to back it up. I hope the guy that posted that it was all rubbish will do more than I have in explaining the "why" because we could all benefit from the discussion.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lol, you're serious when describing the IIC track as "a tight mid sized indoor carpet track?" You are so spoiled, and I am so jealous.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #247
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey, I have an XRAY X10 on the way. My local track has a brand new class called SCAR (Spec Canadian Auto Racing). Rules are simple, 200mm pan car, Novak 17.5, Orion 2400 Lipo, CRC or Jaco WGT Spec tires and any one of 40+ HPI GT bodies.

I'll be the first in this class with an X10 and was wondering if anybody out there has fitting a 2s lipo? I'm looking for suggestions & pics. Thanks

Any other setup or build tips welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
what is your weight minimum ? Are you using saddle battery packs or a single stick ? Depending on the above I'd consider putting the battery in front of the T-Bar and balancing the electronics in the rear with counter weights. The battery suggestion was given by one of the RC American guys ( Tim ) at the IIC race in Vegas , it reduced some of the push. So far I like my Xray X10, it was very easy to drive... I just lacked horsepower and experience with a pan car.. I made steady gains but finished 2nd in the C main at IIC. I'm sure someone with more experience could get rid of the on-power push and the car would be dialed !

p.s. use heavier oil for the dampening plate.
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

The battery is the Orion 2400 lipo (stick pack). I think the only option I have is down the side. Across the chassis will not fit without hanging over the edge. Min weight is 1000g.
Foxy923 run the battery down one side with all your elec down the other side, you will need to add weight also on that side, Best to cut some lexan and put it down over the battery slots and stick your weight down 1st then add your elecs on top. try to put weight even across one side as tomatch the weight of the lipo. if you guys ever o to 1cell then put the lipo infront of the tbar across the front of the cae I wil try to post a pic later.

Magnet Top thanks for the props my car was good for the main just needed to work out the HP I was lacking. it was the 1st time with the car so we missed the gearing alittle.
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #248
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Lol, you're serious when describing the IIC track as "a tight mid sized indoor carpet track?" You are so spoiled, and I am so jealous.
It is mid sized if you consider both indoor and outdoor size tracks
Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #249
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
It is mid sized if you consider both indoor and outdoor size tracks
It's gigantic if you consider what we club race on.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #250
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpczx6 View Post
Foxy923 run the battery down one side with all your elec down the other side, you will need to add weight also on that side, Best to cut some lexan and put it down over the battery slots and stick your weight down 1st then add your elecs on top. try to put weight even across one side as tomatch the weight of the lipo. if you guys ever o to 1cell then put the lipo infront of the tbar across the front of the cae I wil try to post a pic later.
Thanks. Are you saying mount the elecs on top of the weights? or the lexan?

How would you mount the battery the down side? I don't want to drill holes in the chassis but will if it comes to that. I also don't want to mess the tweak.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #251
Tech Master

Quote:
I believe he was talking about "my" advice to try placing the lipo forward instead of "side saddle", that my suggestion was "rubbish" . It would have been nice for him to explain why he believes such. Hopefully he'll return and discuss it.

btw.. the guy that gave me the above advice got third in the A main with his WGT xray X10... so I guess he didn't know what he was talking about... the Las Vegas IIC race being such a small event and all

Regardless, it is a bit of apples and oranges comparison and maybe I should be scolded for not thinking through the rules differences before posting a reply.

At the IIC race ( a tight mid sized indoor carpet track ! ) we were using 1S lipo with 13.5 turn motors and our minimum is 930 grams. Because the 2400 orion is probably a fair bit heavier than the 1S lipo it might be too much weight up front. Also, your "power plant" is possibly producing more power than our single cell lipo's can deliver so that might change your car setup. I am sorry my pan-car experience lacks so I have little more than a suggestion with little to back it up. I hope the guy that posted that it was all rubbish will do more than I have in explaining the "why" because we could all benefit from the discussion.
like tpc explained you want weight at the back, not at the front.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #252
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks. Are you saying mount the elecs on top of the weights? or the lexan?

How would you mount the battery the down side? I don't want to drill holes in the chassis but will if it comes to that. I also don't want to mess the tweak.

Thanks
If you place a piece of lexan over the top of the chassis using an adhesive ( thin doublestick tape ), then on the underside use a good thin adhesive "goo" to attach the weights ( brass, stainless, or tungsten ) and attach the weights so they are at the lowest center of gravity ( recessed into the round cell cavity ) . Then on top of the thin lexan goes the electronics. Its all a nice low CG solution to converting your round cell nimh car for lipo.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #253
Tech Addict

That's was a thought I had while out shopping. Picked up more shoe goo
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #254
Tech Addict

Quote:
then on the underside use a good thin adhesive "goo" to attach the weights ( brass, stainless, or tungsten )
Not lead? Health reasons?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #255
Tech Addict

My X10 will be here soon. Any build tips/tricks? I imagine this car is going to go together as well as my T2 did

What damper grease and shock oil are best to start with for carpet racing? Which front and centre shock springs should I look at getting? How about caster setting? Ackerman? Any tips welcome. Thanks