R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC America View Post

After reading through three pages of posting from a few people, I was reminded of a scene from the movie Jay and Silent Bob. Ben Affleck is describing a new website Movie Poop Shoot where movie enthusiasts were posting their opinions about Jay and Bob. I believe Affleck's quote was "This is a site populated by militant movie buffs....downloading scripts and what they think is inside information about movies and actors they claim to despise yet can't stop discussing." That seemed to describe many XRAY threads on this site pretty well!
Thats to funny, and OHHHHH so true. Love that movie lmao

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #137
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni View Post
Hey, what's the "Made in China" here on these Xray parts headers??
The parts with those labels probably include the bearings and misc hardware. I will be happy to scour my warehouse tomorrow, but I am pretty sure all of the plastic, aluminum, steel, and other parts say "Made in Slovakia/Europe"

I spent two full days on the floor of a DFW airport warehouse along with Rocco and John labeling THOUSANDS of packages from our first shipment in 2004 when customs needed some more detail on the labeling!! My back has never been the same! Since then we have made sure it was taken care of at XRAY's factory instead of our airport!! To add insult to injury, they didn't check it after we finished!! However, I will never say a bad thing about US Customs; those guys could put a serious crimp in your style if they wanted to!!

Bryan

Last edited by RC America; 02-05-2009 at 08:32 PM.
RC America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #138
Tech Elite

My stance, world gt came about because everyones touring cars got out of control with setup possibilities, and for a new guy its easier and easier for them to dial themselves out of a race if they didn't know what they were doing.. Cost of a 190mm car is between $350-$505. world gt I think the most expensive is 300( crc's i believe) anyhow, I think they were taking the cost control into account. Also making the car stupid simple means that you can throw a propperly tweeked car on the track and have a chance to be on pace. I know with my 190mm cars I end up testing and burning up a buncha tires doing so.. and at 40 bucks a set its not cheap.

My $0.02

cheers

Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #139
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey, what's the "Made in China" here on these Xray parts headers??
whats your favorite car Manufacturer? I would bet my left boot that more than half of their parts plastic, metal or otherwise are made in china. Xray plastics, spring steel etc are all made in slovakia.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

[QUOTE=protc3;5393881]Actually, no we did not copy a corally. Corally had a somewhat similar setup but it didnt work very well and the function is different. It was dropped very quickly and was a poor design. To be honest, when i developed our rear suspension, i had never seen the corally version before. I took this same heat by one guy until he saw the differences. It really was news to me if you want to believe me or not. However, our car has proven itself to work extremely well at this years Snowbirds With a top 3 finish to 2 other very good cars from AE and CEFX.

Jason, your car is a very well made car.Made with really high quality aluminum and graphite. Really good machining as well. If it just happened that you developed a rear suspension that is similar to the Corally, that works better, then great, I wasn't too happy with that version too. The side tweak plates were made of graphite and tended to splinter after a few runs. But like you said, there are not to many "innovative" pan cars out there, you can only build a direct drive car so many ways.
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #141
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
whats your favorite car Manufacturer?
At the current moment, my favorite car would be my BMI 12th scale. Of all time and out of all of my R/Cs? Probably Associated. But then again, I also haven't been graced by any of the made in China kits yet. The BMI is EASILY the same quality as my Xray 1/8th scale, though. The same could be said for my HotBodies Cyclone, or just about any other race-bred kits I've built within the last few years. I honestly just don't see (and never had) what the hooplah is over the quality of an Xray. Is it better quality than say, my Slash? Of course...I'd be crazy to say it isn't. The Slash was meant for bashing/spec racing. Is it THAT much better than other cars that I own that were in the same price range or slightly lower than the Xrays? Honestly, no.
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #142
Tech Lord

Thanks buddy. Pan cars all pretty much need certain properties to funtion. There really is only so many ways to do it. These cars have evolved greatly in the past hell, 2-3 years. They are much more durable and adjustable than they ever were. This doesnt mean that a 10 year old car isnt competetive.

Back when we started developing our WGT car, we contacted a few manufacturers and let them know what we were doing and asked them to join us. BMI, SpeedMerchant, CRC, AE, CEFX, Darkside and a few others were very interested and some already have been working on one as we were. It was a tough time to do this as lipo was starting to be a big interest. It was hard to decide where to go with the cars. We changed our design 3 times before the DB10R was released so it would fit a Lipo pack. Now it seems that this class is taking off and to see more companies joining this class is great. We are all competitors with eachother but in the end, we all feed eachother. More manufacturers means more choices which means more interest in the class. Having Xray now joining the WGT maket just brings more credibility and interest to the class. Some people are brand loyal and now there is pretty much a car for everyone.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #143
Tech Master

LOL
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Simular designs, but I admit yours is better. Pretty car too!
Attached Thumbnails
Xray X10 World GT Car-corally.jpg   Xray X10 World GT Car-db12r1.jpg  
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #145
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC America View Post

I spent two full days on the floor of a DFW airport warehouse along with Rocco and John labeling THOUSANDS of packages from our first shipment in 2004 when customs needed some more detail on the labeling!! My back has never been the same! Since then we have made sure it was taken care of at XRAY's factory instead of our airport!! To add insult to injury, they didn't check it after we finished!! However, I will never say a bad thing about US Customs; those guys could put a serious crimp in your style if they wanted to!!

Bryan
So you worked for once...

Just make sure Metheny gets a second X10!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #146
Tech Lord

Ehh, thats the origional prototype from a few years ago. Heres the new one.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back to xray now
Attached Thumbnails
Xray X10 World GT Car-db12rr.jpg  
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #147
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
So you worked for once...
Haha, we are all forced to do things we don't want to do at some point in our lives!

What motors are you guys running at Mike's for these? I don't think I have the focus to keep a 1/12 on the track, but maybe I can guide one of these guys around the rug over there.
RC America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #148
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

One aspect of this design I like is the t-plate tweak screw option. I am involved with a local shop opening an indoor carpet track. We are looking at WGT as one of the spec classes. As we all know this hobby needs some cost control at times. We will most likely have some offroad racers wanting to run some on road and to keep the cost low but competitive. WGT makes sense for many. As someone else posted if you give a inexperienced driver a car with to many adjustments they will have a tough time getting the car to work well.

WGT as of now is a sub c 13.5 class with spec tires. And just about a spec body as the Protoform Sophia GT is about the only body to run. So without electronics a ready to race car at about $300 (including tires, body). Much better price point than a competitive TC.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #149
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
...and why does everybody keep talking about lipo the rules for the class is sub-c. And I am sorry to come off this way but i am tired of all you internet jockeys bashing thats all you do is bash get a life and some skillz go to the race track and race stop playing on your computer.....
Drew - Amen...LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
There really shouldnt be bashing going on. I understand that people want to see innovation. We all do. All companies are trying to put out the best possible products they can. We the manufacturers are in this to offer you the best possible products to go out and race with. This is supposed to be fun for all of us. We can call every car out there a copy of another but when it comes down to it, they are all excellent race cars. You can go out and have a good raceday with the family and enjoy yourselves. Xray has made some very nice products. I do admit, i would have expected more bling being that there stuff is usually very fancy but hell, i never had one in my hands so i really cant judge. In the end, you have alot of choices for WGT cars. Buy the one that interests you and have some fun.
Jason - Much respect from you post...and congrats on BMI's results at the Birds!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #150
Tech Elite

Quote:
At the current moment, my favorite car would be my BMI 12th scale. Of all time and out of all of my R/Cs? Probably Associated. But then again, I also haven't been graced by any of the made in China kits yet. The BMI is EASILY the same quality as my Xray 1/8th scale, though. The same could be said for my HotBodies Cyclone, or just about any other race-bred kits I've built within the last few years. I honestly just don't see (and never had) what the hooplah is over the quality of an Xray. Is it better quality than say, my Slash? Of course...I'd be crazy to say it isn't. The Slash was meant for bashing/spec racing. Is it THAT much better than other cars that I own that were in the same price range or slightly lower than the Xrays? Honestly, no.
funny, cause I know HPI is made in china lol