R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13
Default Where did the fun go?

Hey guys, some of you may know that i recently bought a BMI 12th scale in the hopes of joining the local onroad electric scene. Well, as stoked as i was, i slowly became less and less interested in even making a trip out there. The reason behind it is that after looking at the threads on here, and talking with my hobby shop owner it was evident that i was outdated within about a month. For one, i was running brushed (like my lhs owner was at the time) and nimh (apparently they are allowing lipos) and a non 2.4 ghz radio (didn't think it was worth it). I come in a month later to pick up a receiver, and all the setups changed. No biggie right? Well thats what i thought until i read of the "huge" differences in performance. I haven't went to the track since, and the car has turned more into a shelf queen than anything. Today, while driving around, my dad and i stopped at a local offroad electric track and i got to speak with the owner there. He basically acknowledged all that i thought was going on. He told me why offroad interests people and the most intriguing thing was that there were people in there running stick packs and old brushed stocks and keeping up with the brushless guys. Not a big deal to some, but when you think about it, how often do you see this in onroad? If you don't have the newest stuff, youre automatically at a disadvantage? If you look at even local races, the people are charging batteries at 10amps, constantly changing them, and tires are used like tissues. I'm not saying this isn't true for offroad, but i know that its not as bad. Therefore i ask, where did the fun in racing go? Shouldn't it be a hobby where you take your time, and ultimately just have fun spending time with others, and not hunched over in your corner to make sure you car is perfectly balanced? Now I'm sure this thread will get lost with all the new fancy electronics and such, but i just wanted to see if anyone agrees with me or am i just another 15 year old kid who feels a little underaged for such a "serious" sport?

Thanks guys and girls,
~Mike
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Mike,

I think what it comes down to, is that off-road and on-road are "fun" for different reasons. The off-road crowd gets a lot of its popularity from the fact that it's more conducive to a run-what-ya-brung environment. Also, the cars are much harder to break, and if your balance is a little off, or your setup isn't quite right, or your gear is sub-par, it doesn't matter so much. At least, not until you get to the very top level. By its nature, this allows for more time to socialize, or whatever.

On-road is a bit more of a thinking man's game. Not to say off-road doesn't have this element, but it's not nearly as pronounced as on-road. This is where every little detail matters, and a finely tuned car with good gear and a talented driver is what it takes to get it done. In on-road, those things matter a lot sooner as you start being competitive than they do with off-road. I'd say most off-road people never get to a level where it really matters, where in on-road, you can reach that fairly quickly if you're persistent.

"Fun" is very subjective. It's possible that on-road just isn't for you, and off-road would be a better choice right now. You're not alone, off-road is quite a bit more popular overall, and appeals to a larger audience. That doesn't mean on-road isn't fun for those that love it, it's just not for everybody.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Run Mini........ that's why I haven't switched to TC 10.5.... I'll do when an Stock Class with battery limit is created.... and obviously with Lipo.....

Im very well prepared to race TC... I mean knowledge.... that many guys don't even know.... but Im sticking with Mini as I get what I need...... close racing and fuuuuuuun.....

"Mas que un hobby, un estilo de vida. Algo que corre en los circuitos de mis venas"
.....ChOoJuAaAnNnn, Sebastian, Juancho... como quieran XD.... o Sebastian Oviedooo...
Juanchoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A large plus one to adam's post.

Racing is what YOU make of it, if sombody tells you that your gear is inferior, or won't work, or can not be used in racing situations, YOU decide how to take that. If it appears to be snide, so be it, why should they worry? its not their equiptment.

I've been racing on-road since i was 10, so that's five years. I've ran the same chassis for 4 race seasons, the same radio for 4 years, and only have i recently made the switch from brushed to brushless and from nimh to lipo, but even then i am running the cheapo lipos and the losi BL system.

Basically, what i'm trying to say is that YOU CAN DO IT , regardless of what you see or say.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Off road guys will say anything to convert you, but go look at their cars, and look at who's winning. The all run brushless because it's easier, and 99% of the time faster. Fast guys go through tires at least every 2 weeks, or have 5 different sets to chase the track. Overall I'm sure the cost is less, but if its not in parts its in cars, offroad cars do wear out and its usually cheaper to buy a new kit, they also suffer from "kit of the week" syndrome worse than onroad guys, certain cars work better on certain layouts. It's unfortunate that you got brushed a little bit before brushless took off, but in 1/12 no one thought that 1 cell would work, or get popular, but you will really have no problem keeping up with them if your car is setup right. Nimh batteries, well, that's always been their game, they are best when new, don't feel like you need new ones every month, but I used to buy one good pack like every 2 months and save it for 3rd round and the main. Lipos are awesome, and are definitely worth the investment.

I ran offroad for 6 months and my biggest problem was the track, the fast guys knew how to make their cars work every round, where as my car would be great when the track was wet and sucked when it got some dust on it, I tried 2 buggies, a truck and 4wd, all with the same issue I'll take insane carpet grip anyday
Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you're going in with the attitude that you have to have the best to win or even that you have to win just to have fun, then you probably should find something else. It's really more about the act of competition than the actual winning. Sure, it's fun to win but, it's not everything. Some of my favorite days have been when I didn't win but, the competition was intense. There's been times when I was only interested in beating one person and we both happened to be in the B main. It didn't matter that we were both beaten by six other guys.

We have a few guys that still run old radios, brushed motors, and old batteries and on occasion, they win. I never hear them complain about losing.

You don't have to come in first to have a good time and you don't need the newest stuff to come in first.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Well...I'm not sure where to start with my response. But for one im sorry to hear that you don't fell that you're having the fun you should.

Not knowing your skill level...but who says you have to keep up with all the latest and greatest? If you are looking to have fun you can do that with what you have. What also sucks to hear is that the hobby shop owner made you feel your equipment was outdated. He should be promoting the sport not telling you you need tons of new stuff to compete...cuz that's not entirely true.

If onroad is what you like then get out there and have fun. Learn to drive well and don't worry about all the new stuff...yet. When you get to the point...or if you get to the point where racing is serious then go for it. But find a level that you enjoy.

I am a decent club level driver...low stock A main quality...but I rarely get to race. I have a family and other interest. So I except the fact that it may take me longer to get better or that I may not get that much better. BUT I do it for fun! NOT to keep up with the next guy who may have more time and $$$. Yes I am competetive but I'm realistic.

So find a fun place to race...run what you have...and enjoy it! You're 15...and I'm 36...and we have one thing in common...we like to play with toy cars! So no matter how serious some of the guys seem, we are all just playing!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Mike,

I am also 15, I started RC pretty much as soon as I could talk Been racing for a few years now, and I have gotten somewhere. Got sponsors, got a job (somewhat) at the LHS. It just depends how bad you want to race, I had a huge drive/want to race and get better, I had no money, just support from the rents, and the guys at the track (who helped me a TON)

Its all about the driver. Brushed motors get you out racing right? Thats what you need more then anything, is just to get out, and do it with what you have

On, and off road are both super fun. I got a buggy and started doing that to try something new. I like on road better for sure. But off road is pretty darn fun!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is why I like USVTA and Slash classes.

Lots of fun, very little money
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Like Adam said, off-road and on-road are two very different societies.
off-road is like nascar and on-road is like F1.

You just gotta set your sights on the next fastest guy then you, be faster than him, and even if you are not in first, your goal is achieved. Being 15, that is what makes it fun for me. Its the perfect way to have a great time without winning. And besides that, alot of the fun is the comradery (did i spell that right?) with the local racers.

You ddont need the newest stuff to be good, i see guys running T2 007's beating guys with 008's and all the "new" rides all the time, just keep at it.

Oh, and just be glad you have a track! Here in Oregon, because of the economy, there is only one on-road track in the entire state!!
I cant wait to start racing again now that my school semester is over!

See you on-road,

The other Mike

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #11

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

they all have their pitfalls, and they all have no issue spendin your $ for ya. stick with it! u'll figure it out

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Tech Master

how often do you crash? Can you finish a 5-6min race without crashing? You can worry about your gear once you can get a solid B or even give the A-main guys a run. Brushed motors still can beat out BL, 2.4ghz is not necessary, and if your races follow rules, you need to add weights to make a lipo car legal. In a situation where one crash is all it takes to drop several positions, consistency beats out the most expensive gears.
Your local onroad race don't have a beginner class like mini or TA?

But even off-road, you can benefit from the maintenance free aspect of BL.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Oh, and tell us what you are running (car, radio, etc etc etc...)

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been in the hobby almost 5 years but its only now that i feel a little discouraged about it. I know how to drive, fairly well, but its just the tension there is with onroad. I have more onroad cars then offroad, and i feel comfortable with them its just that im not sure if the people even want anyone else there. They have their groups/ teams whatever and are always helpful, but on the track, its just feels weird. Thanks for all the help, and i want you to know that im not doubting your fun. I have slowly been getting my interest in again, but i really just wish i wasn't limited to one track to run at, and practice at. I cant just go out in front, set a few cones, and practice. I think i just have to get over that and become more involved Thanks again guys, you're a ton of help.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
Hey guys, some of you may know that i recently bought a BMI 12th scale in the hopes of joining the local onroad electric scene. Well, as stoked as i was, i slowly became less and less interested in even making a trip out there. The reason behind it is that after looking at the threads on here, and talking with my hobby shop owner it was evident that i was outdated within about a month. For one, i was running brushed (like my lhs owner was at the time) and nimh (apparently they are allowing lipos) and a non 2.4 ghz radio (didn't think it was worth it). I come in a month later to pick up a receiver, and all the setups changed. No biggie right? Well thats what i thought until i read of the "huge" differences in performance. I haven't went to the track since, and the car has turned more into a shelf queen than anything. Today, while driving around, my dad and i stopped at a local offroad electric track and i got to speak with the owner there. He basically acknowledged all that i thought was going on. He told me why offroad interests people and the most intriguing thing was that there were people in there running stick packs and old brushed stocks and keeping up with the brushless guys. Not a big deal to some, but when you think about it, how often do you see this in onroad? If you don't have the newest stuff, youre automatically at a disadvantage? If you look at even local races, the people are charging batteries at 10amps, constantly changing them, and tires are used like tissues. I'm not saying this isn't true for offroad, but i know that its not as bad. Therefore i ask, where did the fun in racing go? Shouldn't it be a hobby where you take your time, and ultimately just have fun spending time with others, and not hunched over in your corner to make sure you car is perfectly balanced? Now I'm sure this thread will get lost with all the new fancy electronics and such, but i just wanted to see if anyone agrees with me or am i just another 15 year old kid who feels a little underaged for such a "serious" sport?

Thanks guys and girls,
~Mike
There is no reason why you shouldn't be competitive with what you bought!
Some still say NiMh cells are better, and in 1/12th motor wear will be a lot less anyway. 2.4GHz is mainly a convenience thing.

Is it really that you think it's equipment, or have you not got the results you expected and therefor feel that it 'must' be your equipment.

People argue on here about equipment all the time and far too often the people talking the most don't seem to know enough to justify their comments, or they always in the top few at their tinpot local club which obviously means they could be world champion
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote