Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where did the fun go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

so....your surprised your not enjoying 12th scale? mate get a sedan and off-road will be like a 2nd sport
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The fun is still thereYou just need to take a step back and look at things a little more objectively that's all.

I took an 8 yr. "break" from racing , and when I came back I really got overwhelmed by all the changes in gear and racing.So I took a good step back and looked at the important things.

would the gear I had make runtime? yep.
after 8 yrs out did I really expect to be competitive right out of the shoot?no
Could i still go and have fun while I got my sea legs back? yep

after a few weeks I started moving up the qualifying board. After about 3 months I was then in a position where My old whipped out gear was finally what was holding me back. In other words it took me 3 months to get back to the point where I didnt need marshalls as long as I drove consistant clean lines and was back to keeping pace with the middle of the A guys.

At that point I had to ask my self at what level I wanted to compete.I decided that a club level was fine with me, and the only things I was going to buy was the bare necessities to go have some fun club racing.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just another perspective to ponder on......I retired from racing for almost five years only to return this past December with a five year old 1/12 scale t-bar car, old hand out stock motors, an old 75mhz transmitter, old tires and four new four cell Nimh packs. Oh, and a couple of new front sets of tires after the first week. I am having a blast and competitive with the latest stuff. A few guys are trying to switch to lipo/13.5 but I'm just as fast with my old stuff. Ok, they may end up a little quicker once they figure it all out, but for now, I'm having fun and not spending any money. Sure, next years indoor season will likely bring on a change if I want to be at the level I was five years ago, but for now, it's all about having a good time and you can too if you let yourself. I personaly like onroad a lot better than off road, but you may find it the other way around for you. I will admitt that the nice thing about off road is that there is a much bigger following and you're likely to find some guys that will take you under their wing and help get started. Onroad is not the easiest to start out in as the cars need to be set up pretty well to avoid getting frustrated and they are really too fast for beginners. Sorry to ramble on but I'm just trying to tell you that you don't have to have the latest and greatest to have fun. Jump in and find out what's best for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Wow I'm glad I read this thread. I'm getting ready to get back into racing after a long tim out and come to realize that thing have changed. I'm thinking about just running a 27turn stock motor and just getting some four cell packs for 1/12 scale.I still have a Novak Millenium Pro charger and a Cyclone C2.

I figure i would run this till I can decide on a good brushless system and then convert to lipos. I see most of the top racers still run NIMH so I should be good. Do they make any good Stock Motors anymore? And what's a good NIMH choice. Do I still have to run a pack once a day?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

To answer your question, I got four 4 cell packs of 4600's from Power Push and run them each twice a race day. I store them charged and run each in practice after just a re peak, discharge, let them cool and recharge for the three qualifiers and main. They might feel a little soft in practice as they've been sitting for a week charged, but I don't think it's worth discharging them the night before just for practice. Your esc actually looks newer than mine as I've been running an Novak Atom esc without any issues.

Just about any 27t stock motor set up properly should be fine. You'll just trouble getting the right roll out from those running brushless! They're using pinion gears the size of a spur gear and I'm running 100/30 to 32 or about a 41-43mm roll out.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustWill75
I figure i would run this till I can decide on a good brushless system and then convert to lipos. I see most of the top racers still run NIMH so I should be good. Do they make any good Stock Motors anymore? And what's a good NIMH choice. Do I still have to run a pack once a day?
You'll be fine with that. If you're getting NIMH packs, I've had great luck with EP and EnerG cells. Buy from a reputable matcher like SMC or ProMatch and they should do fine for you. YOu can run more than once a day. I'd buy two packs, run one in the first and third round, one in the 2n'd round and the main. The second run usually feels a bit stronger, with a few seconds less runtime. You shouldn't run up against any runtime issues with a stock motor.

If you're looking to convert to brushless and LiPO, bear in mind that brushless with 4 cell NIMH you'll run a 17.5 motor, with LiPO you'll run a 13.5 motor. If you only want to buy one motor, don't go brushless til you get LiPO.

They still do make great stock motors. I think the Trinity CO27 is the cream of the crop at the moment. Mine liked to be geared for 1.75-1.8" rollout.
If you don't know how to calculate rollout, here's the formula:

(tire diameter x 3.14) / (pinion/spur) = rollout

For a 1.75" diameter tire (I start my tires at 1.75") it's:

(1.75 x 3.14) / 32/100) or:

5.495 x .32 = 1.7584 rollout.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just picked up 2 4600 packs from express for snowbirds and will run them for a couple months 2 a race day and keep my older packs for practice. you only really need 2 packs now a days. run time is not an issue accept for mod 12th. I bet you cna pick up a couple packs for under $100 from any of the major companies. I still charge them with my $80 pulsar sport. and as 27t is faster then 17.5 bl you don't have to work on the motor as much to compete with 12th scale as the wear level is not like offroad dirt or the amp sucker of TC. as for set up the best setup tool you need to learn is finger control and how much to dope the front tires. oh and use pennies for tweak but that's the hardest thing you'll learn.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Is the Cyclone C2 okay for 4 cell racing? Do I need to buy a reciever pack.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

The cyclone 12 should be a good car, but all the current 1/12 chassis are good. I doubt your GenX would be lacking in any way.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Trips
The cyclone 12 should be a good car, but all the current 1/12 chassis are good. I doubt your GenX would be lacking in any way.
I'm talking about the Novak Cyclone C2 ESC
Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

oops...

Nothing wrong with the Cyclone ESC, other than the fact that it's a little bigger/heavier than some of the later speedos. If you're looking at racing stock class there's no reason to run an receiver pack.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Champion

As mentioned, it's very important to be racing with the right crowd of people. Some guys just like to try and drag you down (and some do this for no known reason).

If you're making the effort to chat with people and they're simply being an ass in return, you're at the wrong club.... been there, done that.

Some clubs have certain people where you're either part of the crowd or just an outsider.

Also, look at your laptimes, as it tells you a lot about your racing. If you're not consistant you need to work on that before you should consider getting different equipment.

My best consistancy so far this year is 0.5 of a second between fastest and average lap times, my transmitter and reciever are at least 10 years old, servo is 2 or 3 years old, as is the esc. Motor is about a year old... But i'm still having fun!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been in the hobby almost 5 years but its only now that i feel a little discouraged about it. I know how to drive, fairly well, but its just the tension there is with onroad. I have more onroad cars then offroad, and i feel comfortable with them its just that im not sure if the people even want anyone else there. They have their groups/ teams whatever and are always helpful, but on the track, its just feels weird. Thanks for all the help, and i want you to know that im not doubting your fun. I have slowly been getting my interest in again, but i really just wish i wasn't limited to one track to run at, and practice at. I cant just go out in front, set a few cones, and practice. I think i just have to get over that and become more involved Thanks again guys, you're a ton of help.
I understand that feeling too, it does seem like some people are getting cranky and turning (nice) people away from on-road, especially TC.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Off road guys will say anything to convert you, but go look at their cars, and look at who's winning. The all run brushless because it's easier, and 99% of the time faster. Fast guys go through tires at least every 2 weeks, or have 5 different sets to chase the track. Overall I'm sure the cost is less, but if its not in parts its in cars, offroad cars do wear out and its usually cheaper to buy a new kit, they also suffer from "kit of the week" syndrome worse than onroad guys, certain cars work better on certain layouts. It's unfortunate that you got brushed a little bit before brushless took off, but in 1/12 no one thought that 1 cell would work, or get popular, but you will really have no problem keeping up with them if your car is setup right. Nimh batteries, well, that's always been their game, they are best when new, don't feel like you need new ones every month, but I used to buy one good pack like every 2 months and save it for 3rd round and the main. Lipos are awesome, and are definitely worth the investment.

I ran offroad for 6 months and my biggest problem was the track, the fast guys knew how to make their cars work every round, where as my car would be great when the track was wet and sucked when it got some dust on it, I tried 2 buggies, a truck and 4wd, all with the same issue I'll take insane carpet grip anyday
This person seems to have extremely limited off-road experience based on this post.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

I think the track I'm planing on racing at seems pretty good for starters but the competition is pretty good. I just want to get the basics down and then I,ll consider getting a brushless system. I'm thinking Tekin RS Pro

How do the Pro-match packs compare to the SMC packs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.