R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ferrarimk13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
how often do you crash? Can you finish a 5-6min race without crashing? You can worry about your gear once you can get a solid B or even give the A-main guys a run. Brushed motors still can beat out BL, 2.4ghz is not necessary, and if your races follow rules, you need to add weights to make a lipo car legal. In a situation where one crash is all it takes to drop several positions, consistency beats out the most expensive gears.
Your local onroad race don't have a beginner class like mini or TA?

But even off-road, you can benefit from the maintenance free aspect of BL.
i dont crash often, but when i do i feel like im in someones way. I wish they did have a beginner class, but they dont. And im not sure if there are enough people for say c mains, lol. My setup is a BMI DB12R (not RR haha) hara twister 2.2, eurotek stock, eurotek EP 4600, futaba 2PL. I love my setup, but i dont have prior electric knowledge (nitro guy) and with the lipos and stuff, i dont know how much help i can get with maintenance.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My opinion, The fun aspect is being with a group of people that enjoy doing the same thing. If you are lucky enough to find a club where the members get along well, the racing is second. I'm over 40, only on my second year of competetive racing, so I'm new to the game. I'm in a small club where the members are there to have a good time as well as increase individual skill levels. The guys with more experience have been extremely helpful and patient with my growing pains. We race carpet during winter and offroad during summer.
not-a-lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been in the hobby almost 5 years but its only now that i feel a little discouraged about it. I know how to drive, fairly well, but its just the tension there is with onroad. I have more onroad cars then offroad, and i feel comfortable with them its just that im not sure if the people even want anyone else there. They have their groups/ teams whatever and are always helpful, but on the track, its just feels weird. Thanks for all the help, and i want you to know that im not doubting your fun. I have slowly been getting my interest in again, but i really just wish i wasn't limited to one track to run at, and practice at. I cant just go out in front, set a few cones, and practice. I think i just have to get over that and become more involved Thanks again guys, you're a ton of help.
VRC!!! even though it's currently nitro, once you get a good setup (download from the forums, their out of the box setups push like a dump truck), its very good practice. I needed to figure out braking since I never really used it, and the layout at 360 now has a tight turn at the end of the straight, I got the feel of it in vrc and was much better on the real track
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Tech Addict

yeah, i thought of VRC, and i might get it, but i really find pleasure in working on the car, and knowing what changes im making and stuff. A little expensive for a program, but i guess it might be worth it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Where'd the fun go? It's still HERE!!!

You never have to go to a track to enjoy the hobby. 90% of the stuff that's sold never see's a track.

You let others influence your opinion. Your note basically reads that you seemed happy until you started talking to other people. If somebody told you that your stuff was outdated, and you didn't figure it out on your own and WERE happy with the car... Then you're fine. If after driving it for a few months and dominating the local racing scene you felt there quantifiable issues with your setup that could be changed with an upgrade, then upgrade.

I'd hang out with more positive people. If you now feel you have equipment that might slow you down .1 seconds per lap.... I'd run it and show off your madd skillz. If you're off the fast guys pace .5 - 1 second per lap... it ain't the car.

Race and enjoy yourself. You're racing for yourself, not for others, and if the only way you'll ever have fun is to win, you're in the wrong hobby anyway. Nobody wins all the time. That's racing....

Show up and run your car... with no updates, at this time... it's free. It's paid for, get some value out of it and have some fun.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If it makes any sense, sometimes you have to "try" and go have fun. Make an effort to talk to the other racers and who knows, some of them might even be cool people. It sounds weird, but a lot of the fun of RC isn't the 15-20 minutes of actual track time you get racing or being hunched over your stuff at the pits, but rather BSing with your buddies and having a good time that way...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #22
Suspended

Quote:
Shouldn't it be a hobby where you take your time, and ultimately just have fun spending time with others, and not hunched over in your corner to make sure you car is perfectly balanced? Now I'm sure this thread will get lost with all the new fancy electronics and such, but i just wanted to see if anyone agrees with me or am i just another 15 year old kid who feels a little underaged for such a "serious" sport?
I'm not quite sure how to respond or what to say - but a few poinient ideas seem to come to the surface: you're not having fun for some reason, and you sound like you're looking for reasons not to race instead of reasons to race.

There's really no reason you shouldn't be competitive with the equipment you have, guys regularly run 2 and 3 year old rigs and run up front, and unfortunately or not the nature of racing is that folks do sit around hunched over their cars between heats - but that's just like real racing. This is real racing too, just on a smaller scale. On-road there is a different tension, maybe, but probably related to the faster speeds than offroad.

But I keep thinking about your comment about hanging out, and the thing is that racing isn't about hanging out (unless you manage to lure some buds your own age) but instead it's about working, whether it be studying other racers lines while they run to figure out how to get faster, or working on your car which might be hard for you since you're just a kid.

At the same time deep down I think your fun-factor, or lack there of, is a result of a lack of success. I don't know if you got into on-road thinking you were going to succeed early on since you'd run nitro and electric would be easy. But as in life, you've got to work get ahead - and while there's no guarantee of success, too many people think they're going to be the next Jeff Gordon only to stop having fun when they aren't, it still comes down to you and doing your best and trying your hardest to get out of the hobby what you hope. Leaving the car sitting on the shelf isn't going to make it happen. But if your in the hobby just to win, and the only way you'll have fun is if you win, then you've got it all wrong - nobody, even the good guys, wins all the time.
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i suspect that your frustration may partially be that 1/12 is very tuning/driving intesive. the 'latest' hot tip may not be required to win, but it may be confusing to wade thru what is really needed vs what is good enough with just the right tuning and driving.

anyways, what i wanted to mention is that a few weeks ago somebody talked me into trying their car. it was a RC18R, which until i tried it was unimpressed. well i drove it for 10 laps and went and bought one on the spot.

you just need to stay in the 'stock' class (or next closest thing). these cars are a kick and provide close racing and high number of grins per lap. now if you start mod'ing the thing i believe the fun factor may drop (to each his own).

anyways, bottom line is everybody has their own idea of what is 'fun'. if you want minimum 'hop-up of the week' syndrome and minimum tuning/wrenching, then try a mini class with stock chassis.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #24
Tech Addict

thanks again for the added info, and i agree with what you guys are saying. I have no problem working on my car, or learning but i think thats what i would rather be doing rather than riding. I'm not sure, its weird to explain, but i promise i will try to make everything seem less of a chore and more fun, whether that means finding a place i can practice, or setting a time when i can go to the track and just spend some time learning and practicing. Maybe one day i will eventually pick up a transponder in hopes of racing, but until then i still have a ways to go to pick up more confidence and devotion to racing. If the fun starts going away with racing, ill be sure to stop, and figure out what im doing wrong that i would feel this way. Thanks again for all your opinions, and encouragement.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
thanks again for the added info, and i agree with what you guys are saying. I have no problem working on my car, or learning but i think thats what i would rather be doing rather than riding. I'm not sure, its weird to explain, but i promise i will try to make everything seem less of a chore and more fun, whether that means finding a place i can practice, or setting a time when i can go to the track and just spend some time learning and practicing. Maybe one day i will eventually pick up a transponder in hopes of racing, but until then i still have a ways to go to pick up more confidence and devotion to racing. If the fun starts going away with racing, ill be sure to stop, and figure out what im doing wrong that i would feel this way. Thanks again for all your opinions, and encouragement.
I think you just answered your own questions right there...

From the portion of your post I italicized, it seems you haven't even started racing yet. You don't need to buy a transponder, you can rent one at 360 for the day. You make it sound like you've only been there to hang out, and haven't actually been there to race. (forgive me if I misunderstood the post, but it DOES sound that way) A LOT of the fun of racing won't become apparent until you jump on in and do it. Don't be concerned that you're not "ready" yet, or that you have to achieve some predetermined skill level before you go racing. None of us was truly "ready" when we first hit the track for our first race day. That's just the nature of it.

Might I offer a suggestion to you... come out to 360 this Sunday. Should be a big crowd, and a LOT of fun going on. Ask for me, pit right near me. If you need answers or advice, I'm there to supply them. I won't be too busy, I'm not putting any pressure on myself to win or get a certain result for the day, I'm just going out to have a good time. Yes, I'll be bent over the car at times, trying to be sure I'll do the best I can, but not at the expense of enjoying the day or helping you to do the same. I don't own a BMI myself, but there are plenty of BMI pilots there to supply any answers I don't know...

If at the end of the day you DID have a great time, you'll be back on a regular basis. If not, you can come on here and tell everyone I'm an idiot...

Ask for David F, most of the guys there also know me by "trips" from here.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Where do you race? Im from Long Island and have raced at
all the tracks around here.

There are people at my home track that race that dont have
latest and greatest and still have fun.Im sure if you showed up
everyone would chip in make sure you would felt welcome
and help you all they can.

By the way my home track is 360.

Hope to see you there!!!
giantbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
I think you just answered your own questions right there...

From the portion of your post I italicized, it seems you haven't even started racing yet. You don't need to buy a transponder, you can rent one at 360 for the day. You make it sound like you've only been there to hang out, and haven't actually been there to race. (forgive me if I misunderstood the post, but it DOES sound that way) A LOT of the fun of racing won't become apparent until you jump on in and do it. Don't be concerned that you're not "ready" yet, or that you have to achieve some predetermined skill level before you go racing. None of us was truly "ready" when we first hit the track for our first race day. That's just the nature of it.

Might I offer a suggestion to you... come out to 360 this Sunday. Should be a big crowd, and a LOT of fun going on. Ask for me, pit right near me. If you need answers or advice, I'm there to supply them. I won't be too busy, I'm not putting any pressure on myself to win or get a certain result for the day, I'm just going out to have a good time. Yes, I'll be bent over the car at times, trying to be sure I'll do the best I can, but not at the expense of enjoying the day or helping you to do the same. I don't own a BMI myself, but there are plenty of BMI pilots there to supply any answers I don't know...

If at the end of the day you DID have a great time, you'll be back on a regular basis. If not, you can come on here and tell everyone I'm an idiot...

Ask for David F, most of the guys there also know me by "trips" from here.
Thanks a lot, i wont be able to make it this weekend because of volunteering, but i plan to pack the stuff, and give it a few runs, because im sure all adjustments are way off. Oh, and no i havent raced there yet. Thanks again to all of you.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How about I put it another way.

I race for me, I race for my fun. I do so by trying to make my car go faster every run. I go faster by improving the setup, improving my lines and getting the most out of what I have got.

I often help out other guys at the track and guys help me out if I need it.

I don't spend piles of money and I use rubber tyres and keep using them just about until they are falling apart.

I still use my KO Mars R radio on 40Mhz and I see no reason to change. The more people use 2.4Ghz the less radio issues I have and I have not had to change frequencies for over 12 months.

Granted being slow, moving out of the way just about every corner isn't fun but this isn't normally a problem if you are in the right class. I don't think it would be for you given you experience and equipment.

IMO you should use what you have a get out there.

You may want to at some stage in the furture change to Lipo and brushless but I would use what I had until it needed to be replaced.

For what it is worth a lot of guys locally are switching back to Nimh and brushed motors for TC stock as it is proving to be faster than Lipo and 17.5T.

Stick with it stick with what you have and do some track testing on your own if you can so you can get the car dialed in as well as you can and have fun.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks a lot, i wont be able to make it this weekend because of volunteering, but i plan to pack the stuff, and give it a few runs, because im sure all adjustments are way off. Oh, and no i havent raced there yet. Thanks again to all of you.
The offer stands for any Sunday you can get out there.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Alot of good respones and for the most part all are saying the same thing, its what you make of it that matters. I've been reacing; on and off; for over 20yrs now, started with 1/12 and still love that class the best. In those yrs I've learned one thing thats absolute, there will be a faster guy at any track I go to, period. Dont put so much pressure no yourself to win, go to have fun and you will find the fun, on or off-road.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote