R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tips for oiling bearings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/272506-tips-oiling-bearings.html)

Banter 02-02-2009 01:45 PM

Tips for oiling bearings

Hello,

Any tips? I have your standard ball bearings for my 1/10 touring car. Blue dust covers.

I assume that I can pop off one of the covers with a hobby knife, spray a little WD40 in there and pop the cover back on.

Is it any more difficult than that?

Thanks!

katfish317 02-02-2009 02:28 PM

From my experience, replace the stock bearings with ceramics if you have the money, I just run metal shielded bearings from www.AvidRC.com they cost a buck a piece and I buy them in large quantity. Remove the outer shield from one side and spray the grease that is packed in them from the factory and lube them with a good light weight oil. I personally use prolong oil treatment. It is very light and will last a good while. when needed clean the bearings and relube them.
Also get yourself a bearing blaster cleaning jig from RPM, makes cleaning faster and less messy.

Ferrarimk13 02-02-2009 03:34 PM

DONT USE WD-40!! It will seize the bearings eventually. Pop the seals off with an xacto knife, and then put it in container with some paint thinner, or easy off. After a while, take them out, let them dry and drip some shock oil inside, no joke. Very similar viscosity to speed cream used in lubes, so yeah thats it. They should be perfectly clean and well lubed. Good luck!

Banter 02-02-2009 04:34 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The bearings aren't dirty, they've just been sitting around too long.

I've got 40-60 weight oil, I guess I'll go with 40 in the shocks?

Eddie_18r 02-02-2009 06:32 PM

NO!!! Dont put shock oil in your bearing...
It is to thick and silicon based.

Id suggest getting proper bearing lube. Or motor lube from your LHS, the type for bushing and bearing.

Ed

Ferrarimk13 02-02-2009 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie_18r (Post 5378869)
NO!!! Dont put shock oil in your bearing...
It is to thick and silicon based.

Id suggest getting proper bearing lube. Or motor lube from your LHS, the type for bushing and bearing.

Ed

whats wrong with silicon based products? does it harm the metal? i have been doing it with all my bearings in not only rc but in skating and stuff, and havent had any problems at all. The viscosity from my experience is very similar to what is usually used.

a_main_attendee 02-02-2009 06:51 PM

The point he is trying to make is that the viscosity is too thick for RC use, where loads may be minimal compared to industrial use. A nice bearing lube will allow the bearing to operate with less resistance. I use trinity's royal oil. A tube of that stuff lasts forever.

Trips 02-02-2009 07:37 PM

The two best oils I've found for use in r/c bearings are:

1. Trinity Royal Oil. Very thin, super low friction, but you'll need to re-oil more often than you might like due to the ultra low viscosity.

2. Mobil 1 5w30. Heavier than the Royal, still very low friction if you don't pile it in there. good for a season or more of racing unless the bearings get hammered by impacts and turn rough. A quart bottle from the local Mobil station will cost you five or six bucks and last for life.

For what its worth, the Prolong oil treatment that katfish recommended is great stuff, just hard to find around here. If you can get it locally, you won't go wrong with it.

AUDI 0000 02-10-2009 01:03 PM

do you try to re-install the dust covers? or do you just run them w/o covers?

ChristopherKee 02-10-2009 01:12 PM

Reinstall the dust covers. That is why most people use metal shields.. Easier to get on and off and less friction. It's mostly just the hub bearings anyway.

AvidRC makes a half metal half rubber one I use for hubs that work really well. And at $1 each you just buy a bunch.

You "should" clean your bearings, rebuild your diff, and regrease your axles more often then most people do...

Skiddins 02-10-2009 04:29 PM

If I'm 'treating' the bearings in the hubs, once I've removed the shields from one side of the beaing I don't bother trying to refit them, usually because I've damasged them taking them off.

Just make sure when rebuilding the hubs, that the side with no shield faces inside, with both bearings in one hub like this the open side of the bearings face eachother (inwards), when the driveshaft is fitted there is only the gap between the bearing and the axle for any crap to get through.

Skiddins

kschu 02-10-2009 06:58 PM

i use fully syn engine oil to put into my bearing..so far it's perform quite well...

fastbynature 02-24-2009 04:21 PM

do all/most bearings from stock kits ie. losi, AE have removalble shields?
may be posting in wrong forum, but im coming from 1/10 off road.

padailey 02-25-2009 08:05 AM

padailey 02-25-2009 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee (Post 5413987)
Reinstall the dust covers. That is why most people use metal shields.. Easier to get on and off and less friction. It's mostly just the hub bearings anyway.

How in the world do you get off metal shields without damaging them? I certainly can't do it... what's the trick?