R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Wierd things happening with esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/272391-wierd-things-happening-esc.html)

suprra_girl 02-02-2009 02:14 AM

Wierd things happening with esc

Hey all :)

I realise it's not a common brand or well known but I was hoping you guys could just apply esc logic to this and let me know if the esc is fubar or if something else is wrong.

Here is a video of what it does
www.supra.co.nz/rccar/xeme.wmv

I just put a 21T pinion on the motor as it had a slightly unmeshed big ass 26T. I thought this was the cause of my acceleration problems but it turns out I was wrong.

When I first put the 21 on, I ran it off the ground and it appeared fine. I then ran it outside on our driveway for a little bit but after 30 seconds it slowed right down and started juttering like the battery was flat. Also when trying to drive straight it would turn left, I adjusted steering trim but kept doing it.

Took off the shell and discovered that by throttling for some reason the steering is turning left.... wierd!

If I lightly press throttle the esc led will be solid, once I full throttle it will start flashing and thats when juttery throttle and steering starts.

I thought maybe for some reason the esc might have lost programming so I reprogrammed it using normal esc procedure to no avail.

I tested voltage at the battery (1800mah 7.2v) 7.4 when idle
It drops to 3.5v when throttling and continues to drop if I hold the throttle.
I tested at the motor when throttling and I am getting .5v so that explains why it starts juttering.

So.... my conclusion... esc is fubar, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :D

kerk 02-02-2009 03:05 AM

Suspect the voltage drops too much causing the receiver cutting in an out and steering woes. Maybe should try with a better battery.

cheers

suprra_girl 02-02-2009 03:10 AM

Thanks for the reply, I am trying a tamiya 1400 to see if there is any difference, I didn't notice before but the 1800mah is ni-cd not ni-mh so possibly not helping.

Cheers

2wdMod 02-02-2009 03:26 AM

Yeah with the voltage dropping that far I would suspect that the battery is probally the culprit.

suprra_girl 02-02-2009 03:33 AM

hey would you look at that....

battery!

tamiya one is working mint, have not driveway tested yet.

I do notice that the motor is actually running in reverse polarity tho, wierd. If it runs in correct polarity then forward is reverse lol

I'll go driveway test! :D

suprra_girl 02-02-2009 03:49 AM

LMFAO, now I know why people on here are saying not to buy the plastic tyres hahahaha, talk about wheelspin. I thinks I'm gonna get them rubberised sort :)

Mucho fun tho, thanks for the diagnosis :D
Now I've just gotta fix the dodgy tamiya connector, I'm gonna replace it with deans even tho this chassis won't be putting much current through :) It's just the fun bash drifter!

Thanks again all