R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default best beginner on road class

Whats the best onroad class to start off with?

I'm interested in 1/12th scale stock is that ok.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

That is what I just started in and love it. You will need some help though. TA is a better choice from ease of tuning and it is cheaper. 1/12th is awesome though. I would start in TA and move to 1/12th. If you are just learning to drive 1/12th could be tough and co$tly. Of course it all depends on what there is in your area to race.

Hope this helps
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

oops
Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

well if you want to go the more inexpensive route car wise I would go with 1/12th. if you want to go a little more expensive but less, uhm, tunning shal we say go with a touring car. some of the touring cars like the Hot Bodies Cyclone S are fairly cheap. 1/12 scale stock is ok as long as you build up your speed gradually. the first time I tried 1/12 I didnt like how twitchy it was. infact I almost sold it. if you have patience 1/12 gets very fun.

people refer to them as the Formula 1 of RC Racing... I totaly agree
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting comment made by one of our area's top 1/12 racer. He says that the 1/12 car looks simple but requires more intense work to set it up to run well than a Touring Car type. Also as a beginner be prepared to go through tires quickly due to chunking.

TA is good if you can find a good used 1 to 5 year old chassis at a good price. I'm starting to see a lot of new TC5s and Xrays hitting the TA circuit. As suggested above the Cyclone S is a good TC starter as is the Tamiya TA-05 but the Cyclone is available as an RTR. Both will cost a lot less than a new 1/12.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerdude View Post

people refer to them as the Formula 1 of RC Racing... I totaly agree
I thought 1/8th scale nitro onroad is the F1 of RC Racing....
Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
F103 is the F1 of racing
Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
As a 1/8th racer I would agree but there is a reason I dabble in 1/12th. They may be even more challenging to drive well and help keep me sharp through the winter.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
F103 is the F1 of racing
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What are the classes that you can run at the track you are going to race at? This should be key to what direction you go to start.

If they run Vintage , this is also a really good place to start. (some run, some do not run this class, low budget, will this be replaced by WGT time will tell, it all depends on the location you race at.)

If they run WGT (1/10th Pan Car), this is a really good place to start (growing, low budget)

If it is 1/10th Touring, then look for a Stock class or starter class (most run this, highest cost of the three listed here)

I would stay away from Nitro until you get comfortable. But that is my opinion...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.

I've been racing 1/8th scale offroad in Florida. I'm moving to Ohio. I'm looking for some winter racing that'll improve my reflexes with the nitro buggy.

I've seen some carpet tracks online and most tracks seem to only use stock 4 cell in both 1/12 and 1/10 pan car classes. I did see one track with mod but I'm not there yet.

I'd go with the World GT 1/10th class but X-ray only makes a 1/12th car.

I've allready got a Novak brushed ESC, Trinity stock motor, M8, Hyperion ac/dc charger etc.

Just need car, battery,servo. The X-ray looks very nice, especially the club setting on the T-bar. Probally look to Futaba for a mini servo. Is 70 ounces of torque enough.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
Tech Elite

The Futaba 9650 is more than enough for a 1/12.

Since you are not a beginner then the 1/12 class wouldn't be as much of a challenge as if you were a newbie.

Both link and T chassis work well and will still benefit from set-up and tire choice and maintenance. Keep in mind that there is starting to be growth using a single Lipo battery where a link car will have the advantage.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Thats just the servo I was looking at! Glad it works.

The single lipo is pretty new right? haven't found any rules up here saying its ok yet. Probally by the time they do, Xray will have a link car anyway. I just like their car because of what I've seen in 1/8th scale from them and it looks easy to setup.

I don't quite get how the AE car works yet. The t-bar stuff seems simple. By the time I'm good enough at driving, that link vs t-bar makes a diff, I'll probally have worn out my first car anyway.

I haven't looked into Corally or Serpent yet. I'm waiting for the new LRP SXX esc to come out before I switch to brushless 17.5.

I'll be sure to carry extra tires. 3 sets should be good right? Do I really need a tire truer? Or is that something I can get later.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Having a tire truer is helpful but if they have one at the track that you can use is better yet (don't have to deal with the foam dust getting all over the house).

Trueing tires will allow you to adjust the diameter to match your rollout. Also a cut down & trued tire will be more stable than one with a tall profile and will be less prone to chunking.

Look at the CRC GenX car, they are being discounted now and perform quite well. The build quality of all the chassis I've seen is excellent, Xray is not alone here. Do yourself a favor and buy what your track supports, you'll be able to get parts and continue racing rather than packing up and going home.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you like the Xray but want to save some money just get a used 12L4. It's the same car for all intents and purposes.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote