R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #91
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
RTR's take out the fun in learning how the car works thus giving less commitment to the hobby. Loving to build a kit is a must have trait when doing RC imo.
I disagree. I've taken apart and rebuilt my TC4 many times. And it started as a Ready to Run. Just because it wasn't a kit, doesn't mean I don't have any less love for the hobby. I speak for myself here, but I know others feel the same way.
You may look down on the whole RTR aspect, but it really dose open up the hobby to a genre of people like myself. And I enjoy this hobby just as much as anyone else.
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #92
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

ricker96 - I have a hard time traveling 50 miles let alone 3000. Thanks for the invite though.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, I have been involved in this for awhile off and on and know how to deal with some of the bad seeds in the hobby. I just walk out and give my business to someone else. It is the new person that will become discouraged and find another hobby.

The existing hobby shops in my area, Pegasus (Seems to have quit dealing with onroad alltogether) and HobbyPeople (Seems like they have converted to a toy store) no longer carry kits or parts for the kits that are running onroad now. I understand these are their business decisions and they need to survive. But I am hoping an onroad track opens in my area (Inland Empire), CA. or at least something in a central location for L.A., O.C. and the I.E. in Southern California. Bending Corners is the closest and it is 40 miles away and is only open on the weekends.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #93
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

On a small indoor carpet track, I was only 6/10ths behind TQ in round 2 on club meeting friday, with a brushed stock motor and nimh, against 13.5 with lipo. (I didnt improve my time for r3,and got put back to 3rd).

Granted I have been racing 15 years or so, but if you have a well setup car with good car control, you shouldnt let cost come into play too much.

It does make things easier though having brushless, no doubt... (Mine is on order )
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #94
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972 View Post
I have read thru all of the posts and it seems that everyone wants to continue to debate the cost. Cost is an important issue, but I don't think it is the main reason for the ups and downs of the hobby. I think the problem is exposure and exposure comes from brick and mortar race tracks with part support and people behind the counter that are knowledgable, supportive and encouraging to the people that are their customers. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have entered a hobby shop only to have to deal with someone behind the counter that is arrogant or too busy to help out. Not everyone enters this hobby with racing knowledge and a little help goes a long way. I am sure all of us have made purchases that were completely useless because someone gave them bad advice.

I decided to re-enter this hobby after about 2 years off. I knew how to go about making some of the decisions on the type of equipment to start with, like car type. Made the decision based on local part support. I decided not to carry a bag full of spare parts that I may never use. I decided not to buy a car that the only way you can get parts in California is online. I am currently going thru the transition to Brushless/Lipo and there is a learning curve. At times it has been like pulling teeth to get advice. Don't know if it is the competetive nature of people or not, but it seems like some info is top secret or others just want to break your B**L's. A simple question like recommended gear ratio became a real challange, talk about wasted money on gears that I will never use. Finally I found someone to give me some good advice, and found the right gear range. This is just 1 example, there are a lot more.

We tend to make a big deal out of the "BIG" races like the Snowbirds. That is great exposure for the area they are held in, but does nothing for example in California, Oregon or Washington. There are thousands of people that would race at least once a week if a race track could afford to stay open long enough to establish itself. Again alot of this has to do with the economy, Internet sales, etc, but more has to do with poor customer service.

I started racing back in 1990 at the Ranch Pit Stop in Pomona,CA, they closed and there wasn't anything close by so I lost interest. Then a small 1/18th indoor track opened a few years back, raced for about a year and it died. Then So Cal closed, For Fun Hobbies closed. Parking lot races are not my thing so I stepped away for awhile. Now back in it and have to travel 1 hour to BCR to race. I am willing to travel within reason, but there is a point when it seems like work instead of fun. It has been said that you need to Practice, practice and then practice. But if there is only one track in the area and it is only open 1 day a week, You tend to lose interest.
You know, this is how the hobby was like for me when I first started in the 1/8 nitro buggy scene. There was some real a-holes at the track I raced at and asking advice was like asking to have sex with their wives/GFs/SOs. Then I went to the 1/10 on-road scene. It was a much better atmosphere, but still, there was some a-holes to kill the scene. But overall, it was a much better atmosphere. Then I switched over to 1/8 on-road. Talk about competitive. It truely is the F1 of on-road racing and forget about asking advice. Unless you knew a team driver or were sponsored, no one was going to help you. Then I joined the 1/5 scale crowd. Much nicer people with only a couple playful a-holes. However, barely anyone raced that class due to expense (which I still wonder how the class is expensive when we spend that much more on TCs and definitely a ton more on 1/8 on-road).

Now I am in the electric TC (and soon to be WCGT) scene and race at a well established track that has a wide selection of cars and parts with very wonderful people. I am happy enough with the place to advertise the track in my signature for all to see. Currently, I am the stubborn one since I am trying to gain back my coordination and driving skills I once had. The one who hated the a-holes has suddenly started turning into one... oh the irony! However, one person already spoke to me about it and I will relax a bit more and actually listen and learn over again.

This is a tough hobby to get started in. You have a-holes in the hobby that really do not do this hobby an iota of justice. Then you have stores that charge an arm and a leg. You have Branded cars that charge an arm and a leg for a mould that they all share to make the more common parts. You have super competitive people that really do not mean to be a-holes, but come out that way just because they want to get their money's worth and win. It's tough. The worst part is purchasing a car and equipment to begin with.

As far as this hobby dying, I don't think so an it is kind of unfair to say that at this point in time. We are in a very bad economy that is predicted to get a lot worse before it gets better. I am pretty sure the hobby will see a very slight surge once the economy picks back up and people have money to spend again.
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #95
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
You know, this is how the hobby was like for me when I first started in the 1/8 nitro buggy scene. There was some real a-holes at the track I raced at and asking advice was like asking to have sex with their wives/GFs/SOs. Then I went to the 1/10 on-road scene. It was a much better atmosphere, but still, there was some a-holes to kill the scene. But overall, it was a much better atmosphere. Then I switched over to 1/8 on-road. Talk about competitive. It truely is the F1 of on-road racing and forget about asking advice. Unless you knew a team driver or were sponsored, no one was going to help you. Then I joined the 1/5 scale crowd. Much nicer people with only a couple playful a-holes. However, barely anyone raced that class due to expense (which I still wonder how the class is expensive when we spend that much more on TCs and definitely a ton more on 1/8 on-road).

Now I am in the electric TC (and soon to be WCGT) scene and race at a well established track that has a wide selection of cars and parts with very wonderful people. I am happy enough with the place to advertise the track in my signature for all to see. Currently, I am the stubborn one since I am trying to gain back my coordination and driving skills I once had. The one who hated the a-holes has suddenly started turning into one... oh the irony! However, one person already spoke to me about it and I will relax a bit more and actually listen and learn over again.

This is a tough hobby to get started in. You have a-holes in the hobby that really do not do this hobby an iota of justice. Then you have stores that charge an arm and a leg. You have Branded cars that charge an arm and a leg for a mould that they all share to make the more common parts. You have super competitive people that really do not mean to be a-holes, but come out that way just because they want to get their money's worth and win. It's tough. The worst part is purchasing a car and equipment to begin with.

As far as this hobby dying, I don't think so an it is kind of unfair to say that at this point in time. We are in a very bad economy that is predicted to get a lot worse before it gets better. I am pretty sure the hobby will see a very slight surge once the economy picks back up and people have money to spend again.
+1 on all that.

I've raced sedan in the UK since off road cars had wide on road bodyshells on them (they were the closest we had to sedan before Tamiya started making them) and i've seen a wide range of people in my time, from the guys who I simply wouldnt want to talk to because of their attitude problem or smack, right through to the guys who will happily chat to you about setup, or just general chat.

I now race at a club where I can chat with anyone and they will chat back, jokes are cracked off left right and centre and i'll never know why I stopped racing there in the first place, many years ago! Same faces, same good times...

For me, the only reason I can see why people hide their setup is because they are afraid of getting beaten... If anyone asks me about my setup, i've got nothing to hide.

With regards to the guys who really want to win and seem to be super fast and consistant.... For me, it is better to have a few guys like that in the club, than to have a win handed out to you on a plate- it really feels like you have achieved something when you win against them.

Especially so when the track is super tight, with sick grip, as you really need to be disciplined with the throttle and the steering, one false move on either and you are either grip rolling by carring too much speed into a corner, or T boning the board.
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #96
Tech Regular
 
nagatahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
You know, this is how the hobby was like for me when I first started in the 1/8 nitro buggy scene. There was some real a-holes at the track I raced at and asking advice was like asking to have sex with their wives/GFs/SOs. Then I went to the 1/10 on-road scene. It was a much better atmosphere, but still, there was some a-holes to kill the scene. But overall, it was a much better atmosphere. Then I switched over to 1/8 on-road. Talk about competitive. It truely is the F1 of on-road racing and forget about asking advice. Unless you knew a team driver or were sponsored, no one was going to help you. Then I joined the 1/5 scale crowd. Much nicer people with only a couple playful a-holes. However, barely anyone raced that class due to expense (which I still wonder how the class is expensive when we spend that much more on TCs and definitely a ton more on 1/8 on-road).

Now I am in the electric TC (and soon to be WCGT) scene and race at a well established track that has a wide selection of cars and parts with very wonderful people. I am happy enough with the place to advertise the track in my signature for all to see. Currently, I am the stubborn one since I am trying to gain back my coordination and driving skills I once had. The one who hated the a-holes has suddenly started turning into one... oh the irony! However, one person already spoke to me about it and I will relax a bit more and actually listen and learn over again.

This is a tough hobby to get started in. You have a-holes in the hobby that really do not do this hobby an iota of justice. Then you have stores that charge an arm and a leg. You have Branded cars that charge an arm and a leg for a mould that they all share to make the more common parts. You have super competitive people that really do not mean to be a-holes, but come out that way just because they want to get their money's worth and win. It's tough. The worst part is purchasing a car and equipment to begin with.

As far as this hobby dying, I don't think so an it is kind of unfair to say that at this point in time. We are in a very bad economy that is predicted to get a lot worse before it gets better. I am pretty sure the hobby will see a very slight surge once the economy picks back up and people have money to spend again.
+2
I used to race back in the day at Ranch Pit stop, wow hard to break in there!
I've pretty much retired from RC racing due to most of the above and expense such as the transition from pan car to tc then brushless and lipo. and the tire wars. spent around $150 at Tamiya Nationals and found out my inserts were all wrong. that was the last straw. I decided that sitting on my but all day to race 5 minutes maybe 3 or 4 times was like you said getting more like work and not exciting and not much fun. btw the cars don't even look like cars they look like day glow blobs. whoever heard of dayglow windows and wheels with a gigantic wing!

I'm into riding mt. bikes and road bikes. I can still pull a lot of the young guys and the crowd is much friendlier, but the sport has dangers. when you crash it hurts, as opposed to rc, crashing only hurts the egos and pocket book.

I just built up a 1/8th Mugen Truggy, all I need is a tank of fuel and bump start. but maybe I just enjoyed building it up, got bored and stored it back in the garage for now.

have fun(hate) racing!
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #97
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
I disagree. I've taken apart and rebuilt my TC4 many times. And it started as a Ready to Run. Just because it wasn't a kit, doesn't mean I don't have any less love for the hobby. I speak for myself here, but I know others feel the same way.
You may look down on the whole RTR aspect, but it really dose open up the hobby to a genre of people like myself. And I enjoy this hobby just as much as anyone else.
Well, you are one of those rare breeds that don't mind wrenching your own car.

Many guys buy RTRs because they don't want to be involved in building the car, but just running them. I came across many of them at the LHS. You should see how many cars come in just to change a stripped pinion I see RTRs as a shotgun approach to reach out to potential RC hobbyists such as you.

Or perhaps I am the rare breed where opening up a new kit box/watching its creation is an exciting moment in itself.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #98
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth, Australia.
Posts: 1,343
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Or perhaps I am the rare breed where opening up a new kit box/watching its creation is an exciting moment in itself.
Your not the only one that likes that, I'm not afraid to work on a car both 1:10 and 1:1. Seeing a box of parts turn into a car can be quite rewarding in it self.
__________________
Team Associated B5m | Team Associated T5m | Team Associated TC6 | Team Associated TC5x
Scooter79rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #99
Tech Regular
 
HI_808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 359
Default

I think that a good racer has technical knowledge through an intuitive urge to mess around with his machine to continuously learn. Without learning the technical aspects, a racer can only go so fast. And those without the will and patience to get better end up quitting. This is why racing, full size or RC, is only enjoyable to a few.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #100
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_808 View Post
I think that a good racer has technical knowledge through an intuitive urge to mess around with his machine to continuously learn. Without learning the technical aspects, a racer can only go so fast. And those without the will and patience to get better end up quitting. This is why racing, full size or RC, is only enjoyable to a few.
I have raced for about 15 years now but still don't understand car setup that well. Tyre choice and other things i'm usually good at, but understanding droop, roll centres and other stuff is all a bit confusing for me to understand how it affects the way the car handles.

What works for me is knowing someone who can tell how you like your car setup and or has a similar driving style to you

If you are afraid to ask in this hobby you might not last long before you quit!

Which is a shame as i'm more than sure some newcomers to the hobby probably have some sick skills to them behind the wheel, but can't set a car up or understand the mechanical side to it all, there is a lot to learn and I know I still have plenty to learn....
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #101
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 1,337
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

At our local track here in Cincinnati we have been running a spec front tire for our touring class. BSR racing tires makes these tires and is made of a firmer foam and has an orange outer band of foam. The red strip is there for easy teching. We allow any tire to be run in the rear. What this tire has done for our local racing is that it makes touring cars more controled and less aggrissive. By having this most everyone is more comfortable at driving the cars and is having a lot more fun.

If you think that you want to try this at your local club contact BSR tires and they will be able to help you out.

Monti
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled2.bmp (55.6 KB, 43 views)
Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's up with 1/10 on road nitro genesisG4 Georgia Racing 33 12-01-2007 08:11 PM
1/8th On Road Losing Popularity? jeffreylin Nitro On-Road 734 09-20-2005 01:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net