Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hk was lost some EP touring car !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #62
Tech Master

Supply and demand drives prices. And the people that want the latest and greatest will always be around. But if it weren't for those guys, RC would not have come this far. Development would have stopped, and no goodies to play with.

Same with pan cars. It is picking up in popularity, and destined to follow the same path as TC. Of course, there is less commitment involved from the lack of mechanical aspect, but companies will develop some expensive stuff for it. As long as there is competition, there is a market.

Also, I hear some tracks still ban the use of Lipos for safety reasons, but that idea is probably going to bite them in the ass sooner or later. If racers can't utilize new stuff, the flame extinguishes fast.

I even drive a TA05 at the local track for solid A-main in TC. Trying to prove that a budget car can hang with Xrays, TRF, or whatever graphite chassis. and I still run dog bones in the rear...
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #63
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
If you read Xtreme magazine TC is dead & buried. In our area ( Chicagoland) we can race carpet in the winter and parking lots in the summer.
Blah blah blah, the reason why we talk about it is because we talk to the industry. There are 62 posts on the worlds largest On-Road forum and we want to all cry about how TC has fallen flat...sounds familiar to Oval guys say all the time...

TC won't die, there is a core market, but in terms of growth and being "the class" and honestly it was more of an engineer class than sales, it has been falling for over 5 years. Some are just blind and base it on no real information.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #64
Tech Master

I once read in XRC that you could use a mixture of bird feces and spit as rubber tire traction compound.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ View Post
I once read in XRC that you could use a mixture of bird feces and spit as rubber tire traction compound.
And apparently we just got that off the internet...
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRC rocks!!!

Derek is my hero!!!!

If everyone on here spent as much time racing as they do posting no one is racing we wouldnt be having this conversation. You want new people? develope a beginners class and do all you can to support it. Above all get out and race!!!!

Pssst......*whispering*..Derek where is my $20?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
XRC rocks!!!

Derek is my hero!!!!

If everyone on here spent as much time racing as they do posting no one is racing we wouldnt be having this conversation. You want new people? develope a beginners class and do all you can to support it. Above all get out and race!!!!

Pssst......*whispering*..Derek where is my $20?
Kinda hard to do that with current economic conditions. Best thing companies could do is find ways to bring costs down on cars. As far as a beginner's class, dunno... 13.5 Rubber??????
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson View Post
onroad nitro need more permanent tracks in my opinion....
I think permanent tracks are an issue, for both electric and Nitro. While the parking lot tracks are still fun to race on it's very hard to use them for practice and setup.

I'm lucky to have a permanent track near me that's suitable for electric but marginal for 1/10 Nitro and way too small for 1/8 Nitro.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #69
Tech Master

How much does it really cost is the question.

My ongoing per week costs are:

Tyres $30 (really need to spend $60 to be at the front)
Replacement parts accounting for both damage and worn out $15
Approx Battery consumption $7.5
Approx motor consumption $2.5

So that is $55 per week before race entry petrol to get to the track food ect.

Typically once every 12 month spend is around $800-$1000 updating gear ect.

Total cost per year of at least 3k per that isn't exactly cheap and I dont spend what it take to be at the front.

Given I race around 40 weeks a year most of the cost is the ongoings ie $2200 of ongoing costs.

Easiest way to reduce the weekly costs is tyres and parts.

Easiest way to reduce once off costs is the cost of the car.

IMO tyre costs could be reduced to 1/3 ie $10 per week with a rule change to a control foam tyres compared with unrestricted rubbers.

This would reduce costs per year by $800 alone.

Last edited by frozenpod; 02-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #70
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

-
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I thought I would share my clean A#* Kyosho V1RRR nitro I know it's about electronics, I have a little bit of electronics look very close....
Attached Thumbnails
10th touring losing popularity?-my-rrr.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #72
Tech Fanatic

I suppose there are some lost popularity, but I believe the reasons are many and none will be ever correct or wrong. I have always said, there are three essentials in racing, whether its RC or full scale. I call it MTT. Money, Time, Talent. If you don't have anyone of them, or maybe not enough of anyone f them you will be loosing out in some way.

One would argue,with me and say that money is not essential, I would agree, but I would also beg to differ. Reason being, you would have spent your money in the past and you are just seeping your rewards now. I cannot answer for everyone, but for me when I first started in 2005, I have to admit, I spent way too much money just to be in this sport. after about 3 years of Rcing, I spent much lesser, as you would have bought what you need already. As brushless and lipos become popular, I believe I am saving more. Although I am seeing some revival in the TC scene.

Popularity comes in two form. Racing or just pure driving and not racing. Yes, racing is loosing its popularity. Why? Ask the top drivers and I can tell you that all them can tell you, its because of them. Because, its always so boring to see the same guys on the top of the podium again and again. It gets kinda boring for us less capable racers. As for the bashing around drivers, I do not see any of it slowing down. Cars will always be in a guys' blood and seeing it will just hook you up to it sooner or later. The question is how do you keep the passion going?

Lets all drive harder, not spend harder. I can only say that I am still trying to go faster, and spending harder does not make one go faster, but driving harder do make one go faster. In regards to the cost of the normal wear and tear? I guess what ever your interest/sport is it will come with a wear and tear price tag. The tires costing more. I do not know if its the track being overly abbrasive, if you do not see other top drivers having the same wear rate that you are getting, then its got to do with your setup and driving. Going into a corner too hot or coming out too fast would all contribute to the excessive wear of the tires.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

Enjoy RC. Drive Hard.
mikecan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecan8 View Post
I suppose there are some lost popularity, but I believe the reasons are many and none will be ever correct or wrong. I have always said, there are three essentials in racing, whether its RC or full scale. I call it MTT. Money, Time, Talent. If you don't have anyone of them, or maybe not enough of anyone f them you will be loosing out in some way.

One would argue,with me and say that money is not essential, I would agree, but I would also beg to differ. Reason being, you would have spent your money in the past and you are just seeping your rewards now. I cannot answer for everyone, but for me when I first started in 2005, I have to admit, I spent way too much money just to be in this sport. after about 3 years of Rcing, I spent much lesser, as you would have bought what you need already. As brushless and lipos become popular, I believe I am saving more. Although I am seeing some revival in the TC scene.

Popularity comes in two form. Racing or just pure driving and not racing. Yes, racing is loosing its popularity. Why? Ask the top drivers and I can tell you that all them can tell you, its because of them. Because, its always so boring to see the same guys on the top of the podium again and again. It gets kinda boring for us less capable racers. As for the bashing around drivers, I do not see any of it slowing down. Cars will always be in a guys' blood and seeing it will just hook you up to it sooner or later. The question is how do you keep the passion going?

Lets all drive harder, not spend harder. I can only say that I am still trying to go faster, and spending harder does not make one go faster, but driving harder do make one go faster. In regards to the cost of the normal wear and tear? I guess what ever your interest/sport is it will come with a wear and tear price tag. The tires costing more. I do not know if its the track being overly abbrasive, if you do not see other top drivers having the same wear rate that you are getting, then its got to do with your setup and driving. Going into a corner too hot or coming out too fast would all contribute to the excessive wear of the tires.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

Enjoy RC. Drive Hard.
?
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
?
Same expression I got after reading nikecan8's post!

Mikecan8 made a great post, however, it seems a bit off from the thread...
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Simple put out a budget TC

The youth can't afford it when when good R&D TC costs $300+ Get the youth involved and watch the hobby grow. Simple enough. A good RTR Vintage TC would help. The market is ripe for a good budget car. Never understood why the G+ XXX-S is no longer made.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote