R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Its alive and well in Wisconsin. TA, 17.5 and 13.5 are pretty common TC sightings.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You just Asked this same question in October. Do we need another thread that asks if a class you don't run is dieing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmith View Post
Is electric touring car racing fading away?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Well, here during the winter months all on-road activity is dead. Frankly, I like it like that. It allows me to save up for the next session.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Iforgot to mention:

Snow = Indoor carpet, On and Offroad
Sun = Outdoor dirt, Offroad

I still plan on running something this summer on the carpet. Its too nice of a track not to! I wouldn't mind trying my hand at treated asphalt, but not to keen on ripping up the underside of a chassis.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Seemingly more novice racers are showing up here in SoCal area. One venue revamped their track. A few new ones on the verge of opening up. I'd say it is making a come back.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TC has been dieing around here for quite some time. Hasn't completely died out, but its no where near as strong as it was. Most of the TC racers from the past either run something else or have stopped running completely.

Heck, I've had a TC sitting on my workbench for months and months, while I ran Mini and WGT...and now F1. The funny thing is, I kept lookng at it every time I worked on my other cars, thinking 'I should miss running TC', but I just...don't.

I'm dusting it off now as I get ready for TCS, but it'll likely return to the pits for a while after that.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's still popular in the So Cal area.... It's not like it was about 4 years ago but it is still popular.....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Alive and well in Denver. We get 40+ entries for Sunday club races, and another 20+ on Thursday.

http://corrc.org
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
Tech Master

TC is dying because it became too crazy. Battery wars, electronics wars, you name it. Also, lots of people are getting lazy in setting/maintenance. RTRs evolved rc racers into not appreciating the mechanical aspect of TC imo. But I think half the people that run RC are not car buffs to begin with anyway, so what gives?
Lipos made the cars much faster, which is too much for most people. TA was a good direction to revive the roots of RC which is SCALE RACING. I'd like to see more real life body racing instead of the same wedges. Oh and ban dish rims too
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Touring cars have been on the decline everywhere for the past five years and there are several reasons, the primary ones being time and expense. TC chassis/parts are expensive, require a fair amount of setup knowledge and patience, not to mention a healthy variety of tuning tools/option parts. Add tires to the equation (both rubber tire and foam tire racing have their own advantages/disadvantages), and it gets more complicated...

However, I think some of the technological advancements in the past few years will see a return of TC popularity. Brushless motors and Lipo batteries are a HUGE leap forward to making TC racing more affordable and accessible to all. There is now more power and run time available to everyone. This also equates to less time spent on managing Nimh batteries and maintaining brushed motors.

Tire technology has also improved greatly, with many companies offering quality premounted racing tires that provide multiple runs without losing too much performance.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

TC is still big pimpin' down here in Fla
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Lipos made the cars much faster, which is too much for most people.
Huh? Lipos don't make a car faster in the least. Faster, perhaps, in the last couple of minutes of a race when the nimh cars are falling off a bit, but my lipo's 8.44V at the horn is certainly not faster than the 9.5V in my buddy's nimh car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
TA was a good direction to revive the roots of RC which is SCALE RACING. I'd like to see more real life body racing instead of the same wedges.
Agreed on this one. The huge class out here now is RCGT, which mandates realistic scale bodies and wheels.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TC is still number one around here during the rug burn seasons
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have to wonder sometimes, and I think that class swings is in part due to MFG's in large part.

When a class is HOT there is a lot of factory support for it, and TEAM DRIVERS at large races.

But, are they there BECAUSE the class is HOT, or because their MFG. is trying to make THEIR Product HOT!

TC's started as a Cheap 'realistic' looking type of racing (Tamiya and Kyosho cars) and it was luke warm at best, but seemed like it got popular REALLY fast.

Then the other "RACE" oriented mfg's got involved, as did their drivers..and BAM TC's got HUGE!

The price that comes with that is - NEW Chassis designs, and NEW Chassis MFG's all battle for superiority... CONSTANT Changes, and very expensive cars...and the TOP level and the High $$$ guys are In Heaven! Meanwhile, a lot of CLUB Racers always feel like they get BEAT by New Stuff, and lose interest.

Then SALES will fall, and NEW ideas have to be created (Or OLD ONES brought back to life.)

Enter WGT as an example. DIE HARD Pan Car racers tried for YEARS to bring back 1/10th scale Pan Car racing with little to no success. But a NEW Class is spawned with MFG. support, and the class is starting to grow.

Flip that, and look at the V T/A and it's Grass Roots appeal with the use of Older LOWER tech cars.

In large part, I think too often we don't actually loose racers, they just shift to different venues.

There are SO many choices now compared to 20+ years ago.

Electric / Nitro
1/18th, 1/12th, 1/10th 1/8th/ 1/5th and 1/4 scale racing...
On-Road
Off-Road
Dirt Oval
Paved Oval
Drifting
Rock Crawling

meanwhile everyone is fighting to get NEW bodies into their 'TYPE' of racing.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I dont think cost has anything to do with it.

Its has much more to do with the keeping the proper ratio between speed and traction and durability for the average racer.

1/8 nitro and the Slash have nothing in common except an almost perfect balance of speed, traction and reliabiltiy. Thats why they are the most popular classes.

If or when they make touring cars that have similar charactaristics, they will grow in popularity.

I believe something like a 1/9 scale touring car with with larger tires and more traction combined with a weight limit that favors relability over exotic design raced on parking lots could compete with off-road.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote