lrp spx stock spec

Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i know with my 10.5 and 5 cell's and the TC spec i was running about 3.7

just changing the speedo to a SPX i moved the gearing to 4.455

the gearing is soooooooo sensative on this speedo it is untrue

i move one tooth either way on the motor and there is no punch or no speed

a friend of mine works for the LRP importer here in holland and he says any thing below 4.2 and the speedo will start to warm and cook

i use the cooling for the top of the speedo and a motor heatsink just incase
Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I wish they would give you more direction. I am the only one at my track running the spx. Most are running the RS and I geared my car like them to start. Our local pro ran 4.2 on his RS all day long. If the thing is that sensitive they should give us some sort of range to start with. I am going to try and locate a used esc to use until I get this back. Probably at the end of the season.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Killing motors

Hi,
today i'm frustrated: i post my recent experience.

I race with my SPX on 10.5 class from January without problems. I know how gear and how to use SPX.

2 weeks ago, i bought a new SPX for my son Ludovico to replace a Genius95 for Nationals in Rome (same 10.5 class).
At first run he killed an old Novak 10.5. (FDR 5.5, program #7). I buy a new Novak 10.5
Than Ludovico run 3 qualifing and 1 finals. One week ago runs 3 pratice at FDR 6.3.
Today, at local Club race, SPX kill new Novak, but after 45 seconds! I buy a new Novak at the track and set program #6.
Ludovico runs the last qualif. At the A main's start, He turn on the car and after 5 meters the motor burn......

the car (XRay 008) is ok, no frictions or other problems......

leo

Last edited by elletaglia; 06-21-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Excellent logic Timmie. You'll go far in r/c...

Tell us when you get to profile 8? It's da bong!

Bill
Thanks Still Bill I just try and keep it simple

da bong? LOL! Well about profile 8. I have practiced with it and you are right it is da bong It actually made me go whoooaaa when it kicked in on the straight away for the first time. Its like my car had a two speed. Only thing is I was actually faster on profile 7 because my car was easier to drive consistently. I just have to find the right balance for gearing on the infield and straight away at my track. When i was trying it out the boosted timing came on a couple of times in the infield and caused me to start missing my apexs lol. But it sure was exciting! I'm going to start testing with a 13.5 soon because TCS race is coming up and want to get familiar with what gearing room I have with 13.5. I will let you know
Old 06-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gruman28
I wish they would give you more direction. I am the only one at my track running the spx. Most are running the RS and I geared my car like them to start. Our local pro ran 4.2 on his RS all day long. If the thing is that sensitive they should give us some sort of range to start with. I am going to try and locate a used esc to use until I get this back. Probably at the end of the season.
I'm really sorry about your situation, trust me I know how you feel. But if you geared your SPX at 4.2 that is definitely what cooked it. Tekins can be run all kinds of different ways because of the users being able to use there Hotwire to custom tune pretty much everything. Here some of the Tekin guys run 4.3 FDR and motor temps pushing 200F. This weekend I missed TQ by one tenth of a second with 4.77 FDR and 160F motor temps. I would have Tqed but I got tapped by a slower car in a pass. So comparative gearing with SPX's to RS's is like comparing apples and oranges really. When you get your replacement SPX, or even the used one you might pick up, trust me . Don't listen to anyone about what FDR to run Practice isn't racing, do 6.0 FDR if your running a stock motor and just drive and check temps. It shouldn't get hot at that FDR no matter where your at. And then just start adding pinion from there to match the rest of the guys all while watching your temps closely. Also use the built in internal check system with the speed controller. It is pretty cool. After I make a run I hold the brake, cut it off, go turn marshall and come back and check what the highest temp the ESC reached. Quick and easy and helps me fine tune my gearing for that day. I will say I totally agree with you about LRP probably needing to add a little bit more of a warning to the instructions about the high profiles and gearing. But now that you know check your temps always and you will be fine
Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for the info.... I was checking my temps though, with a temp gauge. It was well under 160. But I think the ratio probably had something to do with it. I wouldn't think 6 laps would cause it to fry. Especially when they weren't hot laps. Ohh well. It's will be sent off tomorrow and I will wait...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Ive been using the Spx Bullet Reverse speedy with some brushed stock motors and profile 4 is an animal at 5.5. Im keen to try Profile 7 and 8 with a brushless 17.5 and im wondering wheres the best place online to buy this Stock spec speedy. Ive gotta have it shipped to Australia as local prices are ridiculous. And should i stick to the Lrp motor? FYI 2 local guys using tc spec and x11 17.5 are gearing at 3.5 with 50c temps. I was getting 65c with x11 10.5 and Spx bullet reverse with 4.7 ratio.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by elletaglia
Hi,
today i'm frustrated: i post my recent experience.

I race with my SPX on 10.5 class from January without problems. I know how gear and how to use SPX.

2 weeks ago, i bought a new SPX for my son Ludovico to replace a Genius95 for Nationals in Rome (same 10.5 class).
At first run he killed an old Novak 10.5. (FDR 5.5, program #7). I buy a new Novak 10.5
Than Ludovico run 3 qualifing and 1 finals. One week ago runs 3 pratice at FDR 6.3.
Today, at local Club race, SPX kill new Novak, but after 45 seconds! I buy a new Novak at the track and set program #6.
Ludovico runs the last qualif. At the A main's start, He turn on the car and after 5 meters the motor burn......

the car (XRay 008) is ok, no frictions or other problems......

leo
I don't have any experience with Novak motor, but I do with this esc and have never seen such a problem with the SPX stock Spec and LRP motor, either 9.5 and 10.5

Maybe the Novak motor is not the good combo with the esc, perhaps the mechanical timing of the motor is already very advanced and so the motor can't stand the highest profiles of the esc.

Do you race with SPX and Novak motor as well? Do you and your son run similar laptimes, same esc setup and similar batteries?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi SalvadoriRacing,
here in Italy over 75% of drivers uses Novak 10.5 in standard class, with Lipo and Foam Tyres. All top drivers mount SPX or SXX and Novak 10.5........

I race with Novak Motor with my SPX from january, my son Ludovico have an identical configuration

Is possible an ESC failure? 5 meters to kill a motors is a very low distance!

Leo
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Do you use Drag brake?...I have seen similar happen to a guy who did not realise he had drag brake on...I am told that on profile 7/8 do not use drag brake
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Barger
Do you use Drag brake?...I have seen similar happen to a guy who did not realise he had drag brake on...I am told that on profile 7/8 do not use drag brake
I use factory setting (except program #) on booth my SPX. Older works fine!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So, after a bit of testing with a new SPX this past weekend Im left with some questions. Most everything I have been told about this ESC and 13.5's lead me to believe that profile #7 and a 5.5fdr was the only way to go. Yet during testing I was able to gear to 5.15 on profile 7 or 8, and the temps were still reasonable considering the conditions.

Air temp was 100 degrees. Track temps hit 158 degrees. The layout was large with a 170 foot straight. Lap times were 26 seconds for 13.5 and 29 seconds for 17.5.

Given the recomended settings I had been told, I was suprised at what I was getting away with in terms of gearing. However, there was no other drivers running 13.5 for me to compare my car to. While I did manage to try several different combonations of profiles and gearing I did not get around to trying the 5.5fdr. So I guess my main remaing question is, would I likely see better ripp and overall power by gearing at the seemingly conservative 5.5?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by elletaglia
Hi SalvadoriRacing,
here in Italy over 75% of drivers uses Novak 10.5 in standard class, with Lipo and Foam Tyres. All top drivers mount SPX or SXX and Novak 10.5........

I race with Novak Motor with my SPX from january, my son Ludovico have an identical configuration

Is possible an ESC failure? 5 meters to kill a motors is a very low distance!

Leo

strange, one thing you could try is a "suicide test" by using the speedo which your son had problems with the motor you are using since january.........but if the esc has any problem you can loose another motor, so......
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
strange, one thing you could try is a "suicide test" by using the speedo which your son had problems with the motor you are using since january.........but if the esc has any problem you can loose another motor, so......
The first motor killed was a 2 year old Novak 10.5, used without problem with a GTB and then a Genius95

this evening I will made a static test with temp gauge and without pinion. I suppose motor overheat without run.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
So, after a bit of testing with a new SPX this past weekend Im left with some questions. Most everything I have been told about this ESC and 13.5's lead me to believe that profile #7 and a 5.5fdr was the only way to go. Yet during testing I was able to gear to 5.15 on profile 7 or 8, and the temps were still reasonable considering the conditions.

Air temp was 100 degrees. Track temps hit 158 degrees. The layout was large with a 170 foot straight. Lap times were 26 seconds for 13.5 and 29 seconds for 17.5.

Given the recomended settings I had been told, I was suprised at what I was getting away with in terms of gearing. However, there was no other drivers running 13.5 for me to compare my car to. While I did manage to try several different combonations of profiles and gearing I did not get around to trying the 5.5fdr. So I guess my main remaing question is, would I likely see better ripp and overall power by gearing at the seemingly conservative 5.5?
Did you notice any extra grunt at the top end on full throttle?
We have found it has quite a lot of punch (usually due to the lower gearing) then along the straight you can sometimes hear the motor beginning to scream.

Try gearing down very slightly and see if it makes a difference. If you can't really tell any difference between 6 & 7 or 8 something is wrong.

What ESC were you using before and what gearign with it on the same motor?

Skiddins

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.