R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #361
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I recant my previous disapproval of the SPX. Profile 7 with a 13.5 is the business!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #362
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I recant my previous disapproval of the SPX. Profile 7 with a 13.5 is the business!
'Bout time amigo!

But, 13.5 with Profile 8 is still da bong!

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #363
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
So what did you change?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #364
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
So what did you change?
I'm not sure what stopped the fade. I went from 4000's to 5200's, and I put the heatsink on the ESC. I had tried other 5000's in the past, and didn't feel much improvement.

Also, I geared way down with profile 7. Was at a 5.71.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #365
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Hi all,

I have been following this thread here and there and decided to post my recent experience with my LRP SPX and Sphere TC. Was hoping that maybe someone could give me some insight on If i just have extremely bad luck, or I'm doing something wrong here. I had my SPX for 2 weeks and it let go on me. I was running 17.5 with a 4.66 FDR on profile 6 with no drag brake. Car was doing fine till my next qualifier. Tried to drive off and my car wouldn't move. Bumped it and zoom, it drove off. So yeah, push starts are not ideal

Fast forward to this past weekend. Decided to run 4 turn mod with my TC Sphere that I have had since Jan. of this year. Its never ran a mod motor as it was what I used for 17.5/13.5 until I bought my SPX. FDR 8.54, profile 1 for punch, again no drag brake. Worked great in practice Friday, but on Saturday quit working after the mains were over. No lights on the esc when i turn it on, cooling fan doesn't come on....nothing. Looked for broken wires but it all looks fine.

I gear for motor temps, I always stop at 160f so I do not believe I abused my equipment. Does anyone have suggestions or maybe see something I may be doing wrong here? Just got back into r/c racing this year and popped 2 esc already! This suxors!

Thanks in advance
the first issue sounds like a sensor or a sensor wire problem. The 2nd issue sounds like something is broke - if it doesn't have that burned electronics smell then it could just be a bad switch or connecting wire where it solders to the board. measuring with a voltmeter should tell you if its something easy.
gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm not sure what stopped the fade. I went from 4000's to 5200's, and I put the heatsink on the ESC. I had tried other 5000's in the past, and didn't feel much improvement.

Also, I geared way down with profile 7. Was at a 5.71.
Sounds about right. With a duo 13.5 on middle timing and profile 7 I was 5.4 at the reedy race. I'll be in the 6's for a smaller track easily.

-Korey
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #367
Tech Addict

On average how many teeth are you guys dropping on the pinion when running 13.5 with the SPX on profile 7/8, compared with running 13.5 on a Sphere TC ?

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #368
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitee View Post
On average how many teeth are you guys dropping on the pinion when running 13.5 with the SPX on profile 7/8, compared with running 13.5 on a Sphere TC ?
Between 4-6 teeth for me.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #369
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Sounds about right. With a duo 13.5 on middle timing and profile 7 I was 5.4 at the reedy race. I'll be in the 6's for a smaller track easily.

-Korey
I'm using a SP motor at the moment, which is similarly built, but I'm not really clear on where its timing is set. I just left it as it came from the factory. I guess I'll get back on the DUO bandwagon when the new version is released, especially since they're (apparently) going to start selling rotors for them.

I can definitely see where this ESC would be an advantage on a bigger track. It was pulling hard at the end of the straight. Made me want to drive in more aggressively.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #370
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
the first issue sounds like a sensor or a sensor wire problem. The 2nd issue sounds like something is broke - if it doesn't have that burned electronics smell then it could just be a bad switch or connecting wire where it solders to the board. measuring with a voltmeter should tell you if its something easy.
Hey thanks for the reply,

Yes the first thing I tried when the SPX acted up on me was a new sensor wire. Swapped in another 17.5 I had, and same thing no throttle until the car was push started. So I assume something fried in the speed controller. No burnt smell from either esc when they both stopped working. I will check out my Sphere for continuity on the on/off switch. On the exposed solder tabs are you telling me to just check for voltage?

I got a new SPX and ran it this past weekend with no snags. So time will tell I guess I must just have bad luck The funny thing to me is that people I know run there SPX maxed out lol! profile 8, motor temps near 200 and they haven't had a problem. Maybe that is what I'm doing wrong, I just need to crank it
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #371
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm using a SP motor at the moment, which is similarly built, but I'm not really clear on where its timing is set. I just left it as it came from the factory. I guess I'll get back on the DUO bandwagon when the new version is released, especially since they're (apparently) going to start selling rotors for them.

I can definitely see where this ESC would be an advantage on a bigger track. It was pulling hard at the end of the straight. Made me want to drive in more aggressively.
It was really odd, it felt about the same on the bottom, but the top end was just ridiculous. At reedy I think I scared a few people on the straight LMAO.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #372
Tech Master

i got one coming

but at the moment i use a TC spec and want to know where to go with the gearing with it ???

i use an LRP10.5 motor on a flowing track
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #373
Tech Addict

just got my 2nd spx in the mail... absolutely love it over my gtb.

Phil, I don't run 10.5 but with my 17.5 car I went from a gtb to spx, and ended up dropping 3 teeth on the pin from the gearing I was running with the gtb..and could prolly drop another tooth. others on here mentioned dropping 4t... I'd say that's a good starting point.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #374
Tech Master

drop 4 teeth WOW

that means i can keep up with those pesky GM's
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #375
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Got a chance to run the spx in a lipo 1/12th. Well, as I see it....it dont work. No punch, topend, nothing. Tried it with and with out the booster. Changed profiles and pinions. I pulled as much as 6 teeth off the motor and still the same crappy power and speed. I KNOW it works with a 2s in a buggy Soo.......in goes the 6.5 on profile #2. A 10.5 crc walked away from me like I had a 1s/17.5 in it. It doesnt work on 1S. Maybe it would work with 4cells? I didnt bother trying.

Anybody looking for a newer spx?

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote